Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 12:21 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Geez. This thread makes me not want to give anything to anyone, ever.

Honestly, I'm happy to receive whatever anyone wants to give me, whether it's a gift card, a homemade potholder or perfume I'll never wear. It really IS the thought that counts, and even taking the time to run into Starbucks for a gift card is thoughtful.

I've received many items that I've put straight in the Rummage Sale pile, but I was still grateful to get them.
Exactly!
Most people here seem like big Scrooges. My MIL gets me awful gifts every year but I'm still appreciative that she takes the time to think of me and to buy/make something for me. I may never use it but I can say that at least say she tried.

It is the thought that counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 12:28 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Exactly!
Most people here seem like big Scrooges. My MIL gets me awful gifts every year but I'm still appreciative that she takes the time to think of me and to buy/make something for me. I may never use it but I can say that at least say she tried.

It is the thought that counts.
Don't assume everyone in the whole world celebrates the December 25 holiday. For many like myself it means nothing. That is why I do not participate in the gift giving.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:31 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
The one thing I really hope I don't get is storage ottomans from my MIL. The only reason I'm specifically worried about getting them is that I mentioned wanting some floor poufs for one of our bedrooms and she brought those up. Since that conversation though, I got a really awesome deal on a bench that was perfect for the room. So, if she gets me something then I'll have to return it and I don't want her to think I didn't like them or something. I just got such an awesome deal on the bench that there's no way I'm sending it back.

Generally, I don't like getting decorative stuff for the house that much because I enjoy finding that stuff myself. Also, my MIL doesn't really have the same style as me and what she picks for our house is tough to fit in. I want to display what she gives us when possible and then feel guilty when I don't.

I am sort of hard to buy for; things I need for my hobbies are very specific, so much so that I usually have to include part numbers and such. I'm happy with gift cards and other more generic gifts though. I always appreciate the thought, too.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:58 PM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
We give small gifts for Christmas. Saturday is. St. Nicolas and we will hVe friends over. A pretty box for every couple - cuddle blankets for the ladies which are (hopefully!) close to their personality and fancy flashlights for the men. Family and friends will get small things - theme PJs, ties, ... BTW SO need all into,king packages so I am running out of tie ideas (the wilder the better).
Why so negative? Christmas is a time to share and give. Enjoy it.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:58 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Please, no Chia anything! Especially the Duck Dynasty one. Who buys this krap?

Old 12-04-2014, 02:01 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effielin View Post
A puppy... I do not need a puppy for christmas.
perhaps the puppy needs you?

Old 12-04-2014, 02:16 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
When a person gives you a gift with no thought involved? As some posters say, people know they don't like things like scented candles and they still get them? That is the giver trying to feel good about themselves. They are not really giving you a gift.
in my case, they just forget or do not pay attention. I know one individual is in la-la land most of the time.

Got one gift for my birthday that filled three things I dislike - paula deen, candle, pumpkin scent!

Old 12-04-2014, 02:21 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
perfume/lotion gift sets , slippers and underwear (yes I did have a sister in law who bought all the female members of the family underwear , tacky ) glad she is gone I must say .
Now THAT'S tacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
mittens and hats I don't need any more ...NO more coffee mugs either I have tons ,No pots and pans BIL sent those to everyone , every years tacky again . No food gifts please either . No pets I don't need any more I have plenty .wow I just realized how difficult it must be to buy for me so I will hope to get gift cards so I can go and get what I want end of story .
You do sound difficult to buy for.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:23 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Anything that proclaims that I'm a wine lover, or that has any pictures of wine glasses or grapes.

I do like wine. But I like DRINKING it.

I don't need coasters, magnets, bags, t-shirts, or signs to hang in my home that say I like wine. Shoot, if you want to recognize my liking for wine, just buy me wine. I don't want anyone buying me expensive wine. People might spend 20-30 dollars on some crappy wine-lover's swag, when I'd be perfectly happy if they spent $10 on an actual bottle of wine.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:17 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
No gifts period, my house is cluttered enough already. Well maybe food, but still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships