Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 02:28 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,384 times

Advertisements

I think a heartfelt note is the best idea. The teachers may not be permitted to accept gifts from students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 10:45 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I think a heartfelt note is the best idea. The teachers may not be permitted to accept gifts from students.
Or email. And yes you are absolutely right. They are NOT permitted to accept any gifts from students.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:11 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Or email. And yes you are absolutely right. They are NOT permitted to accept any gifts from students.
Agreed. There just seems to be something unethical about accepting a gift from students who are already paying exorbitant tuition rates. Of course it also raises the question of "payment for grades," which I think the school would want to avoid at all costs.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:27 PM

12,107 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Since you asked, yes, I think it is weird. A heartfelt note would be much appreciated. Even though they are leaving, you can also let their department chair know what a positive impact they had on you.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:39 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
I kept all of those notes from students. I have them in a two display boards and in a scrapbook. I still have days when I pull them out to give myself a boost.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:49 PM

749 posts, read 580,033 times
For the woman, get flowers.That will impress her more than a gift card
which is rather impersonal.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:13 PM

116 posts, read 179,829 times
Hey everyone! Just wanted to give an update. I gave my two teacher their gifts. The one I gave a wine gift card with a note in it, telling her how much I appreciate her as a teacher, and I was glad to be her student. The other teacher I did the same except I gave her a gift card to Michael's (a craft store) because she was talking about a day before I gave it to her that she loves doing crafts, and she "practically lives" at Michaels. So I gave her a gift card there, with a note inside of it. My one teacher was so excited that she emailed me saying how much of a nice person I am! And that she'll help me out for recommendations and what not! It was so nice of her! She was really ecstatic about the note and gift card. My other teacher didn't email me. I am hoping she liked it because I gave them their cards when I left to go home. After the final, so I didn't give them their cards before it to see their reaction or anything, I thought it would make things awkward so, I gave them their cards and notes after the final, but hopefully my one teacher isn't upset with me, but overall I think it went good! Thank you everyone for the suggestions and for commenting, I greatly appreciate it!

Old 12-14-2014, 03:28 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
I like the wine idea, but not a gift card. Instead of a B&N card, how about the latest book relating to reading/literature/education? I wonder if maybe there's some great little gift book that's a compilation of quotations about the joys of reading?

But most of all, they'd love a little heartfelt thank-you note from you.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:34 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarOpposite View Post
Both of my college teachers are wonderful, and I won't be seeing them again My one teacher is awesome, and kids made fun of her because her one eye bulges out, and the people in my class were so mean and disrespectful. However, she is a very kind person, and I would love to get her a gift! Also she'll be working in another college, so I won't be seeing her anymore. My other teacher is getting a whole new job all together. Whom, is awesome as well! And people disrespected her. My one teacher talks about Wine a lot, and how much she loves wine. Would it be weird if I got her a gift card to a winery? Also my other teacher is a college reading teacher, so I was thinking about getting her a Barnes and Noble gift card. Is that weird? I just really appreciate them because they took the time out to help me, and people were so mean to my one teacher when she is a very kind person. I just want to let her and my other teacher know I appreciate them unlike the imbeciles in my class. Any suggestions? Thanks!
A better idea is to write a thank-you letter AFTER grades have been posted, not before.

Anything before then will be construed as a bribe.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:46 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I like the wine idea, but not a gift card. Instead of a B&N card, how about the latest book relating to reading/literature/education? I wonder if maybe there's some great little gift book that's a compilation of quotations about the joys of reading?

But most of all, they'd love a little heartfelt thank-you note from you.
As a booklover, I'd have to say a gift card is my dream gift. I love going to the book store and browsing for hours. Buying a book for someone is a very personal thing and a lot can go wrong with it. When you give a heavy reader a gift card to a book store, you aren't giving them an impersonal equivalent to cash - you're giving them an entire experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships