Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:39 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,325,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
In my everyday life, not only do I agree with you about not wanting to offend friends with differing viewpoints; but I sometimes think "who really cares anyway?" Here, on CD, it's more like, "well, since you asked..."
Haha true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 02:41 PM

Just wanted to say I'm glad I asked the question, because even if I haven't replied directly, I am very much enjoying reading everyone's responses on this topic. So fun to see how this large group all landed here.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:31 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,672,896 times
I sometimes learn things, and take away advice by reading some threads. I like debating, it is one of many things I do on my free time. Some days I come on quite a bit, other times not so much.

And of course if need be get advice and ideas on a situation by creating my own thread.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:56 PM

134 posts, read 176,215 times
I hate where I live, I need to find a new home. I go on the forums to learn more about the places I have in mind. That, and I'm pretty nosy about what it's like in other places.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:23 PM

25,902 posts, read 22,051,724 times
I wondered into the main part of the forum years ago, the part that gives information about different states/cities, saw the clicky for the forum................. I stayed because I was doing research on different places to move but got hooked into all the diversity here versus so many forums which are just about one thing. One thing never keeps my interest that long but the possibilities here are endless.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:17 PM

4,194 posts, read 4,442,053 times
City Data is like a one stop shop 18th century French salon whereby I can peruse thread and forums as if wandering the halls of a French manor looking for a discussion to either contribute too or learn something of interest.

To accomplish this in person would be like cramming a dozen meet up events into a few evenings. So in a way it's a high reward use of time (mostly).

It is also a way to pass on knowledge or information I have acquired to hopefully make someone else's life a bit easier and, much to bridgewater's apt point, many people or friends or not don't usually like being given opinions on certain topics, so it's sort of nice to peruse a current forum on occasion to see who 'asked' about a topic or situation.

In this regard one of the funniest parts about it is people will often seek reinforcement and when they don't it is humorous. It seems some seek an echo chamber of agreement to make themselves feel better. Certain forums at CD have this at higher frequency than others.

It is a nice feeling though when someone is actually open to other points of view, acknowledges them, and can articulate theirs well. Any tools that enhance understanding work toward advancing humanity, and frankly that is anathema to most forms of current media. In many ways, the mass media of today is the enemy of the people as it is used as a hammer to program and manipulate them. Majority of my posts are to make people think versus be used. Another portion is for frivolity and humor whenever something tickles an errant synaptic pulse.

Last edited by ciceropolo; 12-09-2014 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 12-10-2014, 08:01 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,421,587 times
I was asked to come here by a user who uses it - and also uses another forum in my home country where I also post a lot. He felt the forum here would benefit from my presence - so I can only leave it to others to decide for themselves how that has been working out

Old 12-10-2014, 08:51 AM

7,374 posts, read 12,647,957 times
This thread should be a sticky! Haven't read it all yet, but what a wonderful outpouring of rational and emotional reasons for being here.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
In this regard one of the funniest parts about it is people will often seek reinforcement and when they don't it is humorous. It seems some seek an echo chamber of agreement to make themselves feel better. Certain forums at CD have this at higher frequency than others.

It is a nice feeling though when someone is actually open to other points of view, acknowledges them, and can articulate theirs well. Any tools that enhance understanding work toward advancing humanity, and frankly that is anathema to most forms of current media. In many ways, the mass media of today is the enemy of the people as it is used as a hammer to program and manipulate them. Majority of my posts are to make people think versus be used. Another portion is for frivolity and humor whenever something tickles an errant synaptic pulse.
This is very true! I've stumbled on a couple threads where someone asks a question. You answer. They start arguing with you because they don't like your answer. I always scratch my head and wonder why they asked. It's like you said, some people are only looking for others to validate their opinion. It would save me time if they'd just start their thread with, "Who agrees with me?" LOL

Old 12-10-2014, 12:06 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,391,675 times
Looked up a certain restaurant, found a thread on it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships