Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:46 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,627,741 times

Advertisements

Found this while looking for info on Venice, FL, while we were searching for a nice place to live. We moved here in October and are loving the city. CD definitely helped me get info on things and helped me feel more acclimated.

If you haven't checked out the Games section of CD, and word games are your thing, check it out!!! It's waaaay down at the bottom of the topics list under Other, just below Writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 02:50 AM

107 posts, read 132,986 times
I sometimes come here for the statistics.

Looked at the forums just recently and saw that it was the heart of babylon with all of the "why is *insert safe suburb* so dangerous" and "why do lower class people like *insert thing here*" and "why is Mexico so scummy" threads I decided to challenge it.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:38 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,697,937 times
Default I find some forums so helpful.

I first came here for info on "consumer electronics" and it was very helpful.

then I got advice on "gardening" forum.

also I think I once asked about curtains on one forum

people are helpful and knowlegable.

On this forum, people may have seen a thread, which I started, I received so many helpful replies, so many compassionate replies. It helped me renew my relationship with a friend of almost 40 years.
That was so valuable!

And the pet forum - that's a good one too.

I made the mistake of visiting current events, and politics, bec. normally these are two favorite subjects of mine. But - I should have learned by now - these are not topics that I will engage in online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Curious to know people's reasons for spending time on City-Data forums.

For me, I simply love debates and discussions. Long before the internet, my favorite section of the newspaper was the editorials, letters to the editor and op-ed pieces. Finding out what is going on in the world is only half the equation for me. The other half is finding out what people think about it.

Also, while I'm on Facebook, I'm much more careful about what I say because my FB friends are a big mix of coworkers, family, gays, deeply religious, conservative, liberal, poor, wealthy, young, old. I try not to post anything that might unintentionally offend someone I care about. On an anonymous forum, I can share opinions without having to fret too much if people disagree or find it offensive.

And in that vein, because people's filters are off, I can also hear opinions that folks might otherwise not share for the same reasons. I find it very interesting to hear what people think of things and how they view various subjects when you know (or at least hope) that they're being honest. It's sort of a, "Okay, now that no one else is in the room, what do you really think?" sort of thing.

How about you?

Old 12-08-2014, 04:44 AM

Yes, I am also impressed by how helpful people are.

There was one person, who, when I asked about a tape/CD which is out of circulation, went to great lengths to try to help me find it. Ultimately unsuccessful, but so appreciated.

It's like here we have access to a university of minds, and people who are experts in subjects that we may not be (such as computers and cars, for me!)

Quote:
Yes, I'm impressed by how helpful people can be, particularly on the geographic forums. People are really willing to take a lot of time, look things up, and post references to other sources. Lifts the spirit!

Old 12-08-2014, 04:45 AM

Nice original question btw.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:16 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,945,334 times
I love all the information available here. Where else can I find an answer to almost any question, any time.

I originally started reading when I was researching possible places to retire. And that was back in...2006.

Since then I have gotten to 'know' lots of great people here so I stay. It's always entertaining to learn what others think. Always something to learn too. I have even met a few members IRL.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:51 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,595,189 times
Quote:
Very true! Though there are occasions when some members will latch on to one small remark that was completely irrelevant to the subject and run with it. Drives me nuts. Fortunately, they are few and most everyone has good reading comprehension and are genuinely helpful.
But, it's interesting to know how bad the reading comprehension of so many people is, is it not?

Like the OP, I'm surrounded by normal, average, polite people. A peek into the crazy side is very interesting. Does tend to make you a little misanthropic, though.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:57 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,868,126 times
Like the OP, I like to debate and discuss stuff - Though mainly about weather and the likes. I'm rarely in the relationship and fashion sections, but I visit them at times.

I came here because there was no other website having a weather forum. I always searched for a place's weather and its info, and the weather forum was always in the web crawl. So I was like, "what the hell, let's sign up here and join the discussion".

Old 12-08-2014, 06:42 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,019,494 times
Admitted CDF junkie here. I usually start with my regions forum. If im current then I will switch to other regions. I like the NYC and Seattle ones the most. The larger area seem to have more post ,so new content. I have always lived in the South so things like rent control,dense urban living,gentrification are interesting to me. The work and employment sec,real estate. Love love the ones who post pics of the house for sale and want feedback. Most users seem intelligent,politically moderate and with good intentions. Try a yahoo forum and compare. I enjoy being helpful to posters. I had just recently went through a move which gave me a current insight on alot of the Raleigh-Durham thread questions. Even looked for a house which in turn didnt exsist for a guy in the process of moving out of state. He was asking about safety issues of the neighborhood. The house was advertised for $650 a month in downtown . Red flag 1, not possible in this area.Then some of the other details were off. I pass by the area everyday so decided to check it out for his benefit and my curiousity. Not there,nowehere. So I guess those are my reasons,curious,nosey,helpful and full of questions.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:02 AM

404 posts, read 384,227 times
A friend sent me a link to a post with pictures of cities in Africa. That's how I found this site. I love the TV and Celebrity forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships