Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:54 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Here, let me write that question down on this punch card and feed it into this all-knowing Computer of Human Experience and let it calculate the correct binary answer that is true for all people in all circumstances.

Oops, you broke it.
Ssh! You're going to let slip that there really is "standard knowledge."

Ah, at least the OP is an old-timer around here.

OP, it really depends on the tone. That's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 02:24 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
I'm convinced it's a regional thing. It's definitely pushed by corporate culture excessively now as some "trick" to making the customer fall for your pitch (which may be detrimental if the customer doesn't like their name), but if we exclude this and only apply it to non-work related usage, there are some regional differences and possibly generational differences. I've always thought the boomer generation and older to be more formal, thus more likely to use your name initially, but I don't think they overuse names either as much as younger generations do in certain regions.

If you really want to surprise a salesperson tell them "I'm right here (their name), you don't have to use my name so many times".

I've written about this before here:

Are names overused in certain regions?

Last edited by tollfree; 12-10-2014 at 02:34 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 04:42 PM

99,541 posts, read 4,490,935 times
It makes me think they are selling something that I don't want.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
This doesn't bother me in general. In fact, I find a lot of people don't use any names at all in conversation. I use peoples names all the time at work, and I use my own family members' names, but I have noticed I rarely use the name of men I am dating and they rarely use my name. Not sure why that is...

I had one boyfriend who used my name in conversation frequently and found I really liked it! It has led me to make a conscious effort to use people's names more often.
You bring up something interesting!

I too realized a few years ago that my husband and I tend to call each other by "Honey" or something like that, rather than using each other's names. When my husband does use my name, it sounds like a caress, and I really like it. It also means he is usually talking about something more serious - though by that I mean it can be serious in a good way - like a very sincere conversation about how he appreciates me or something like that. So realizing how good that makes me feel (hearing my actual name used), I started using his more as well.

I like it.

But I don't know about constantly using other peoples' names, like the OP is describing. I do see how using a name a few times in an initial conversation can help us remember a person's name, but after that...I think it would feel weird on both ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships