Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm not confused.

Let's review the story. I don't see anywhere that they're personal friends of the manager.

And, suddenly he's calling after seeing them pile in the company vehicle, which is not apparent in theinitial post, which says he calls while getting their license plate out in the lot.

In this post, they had just gotten off a job, in subsequent posts they were going back to work to kill everyone with their wobbly operation of heavy machinery.

Now what I think happened is the guys got a bit rowdy in the bar after work, (not during a shift) as oilmen probably do, and while it's not the best form to ignore requests to tone it down a bit, their actual mistake was to blow off MrAragon, which is quite clearly stated below. No mention here of being worried for life and limb.

Now is it nice to get drunk and ribald in front of children? No. I am also of the opinion that it's just as rude to get people fired.
The drunk guys weren't personal friends of the Ops Mgr. My husband knew him well enough to have his cell phone number.

I never said he waited to call after they got in the vehicle. Someone else said that.

I also never said they were off THE job - I said they off A job. They were returning to the yard from out of town, which means they were not off work - they were just leaving a particular job.

My point is this - don't break the law, don't get drunk and rude while you're wearing a company uniform and driving a company vehicle and therefore very easily identified, and don't assume that other people can't and won't report your unlawful behavior to your boss.

And you won't get fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Thank you for posting this, and clarifying that it is indeed the responsibility of management to handle these situations.
Actually, it is Applebee's company policy - for their employees to follow. The assistant manager (not at Applebees, by the way) wasn't appropriately handling a very obvious situation involving loud drunks during Sunday lunch time.

It isn't the patron's responsibility to enforce or to obey a restaurant's employee handbook, by the way.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Yes
Does your "yes" mean that if you owned this company, you would rather not know that your supervisor and his crew were out drinking at lunch intending to go back to work, putting your company at huge risk for liability? Representing your company in your uniform while misbehaving and getting drunk against your company policy?

This is really how you'd prefer to run your company? Hey, if my employees, who operate company vehicles and large heavy machinery, hauling dangerous chemicals, want to get drunk during lunch, that's fine with me!"

You'd be okay with that being on the news when these guys end up on the news and your company sued?

And the news company says, wow, we learned that your professional friend was in the booth right next to these guys and even asked them to tone down their behavior, but we were told that you don't want your friends or anyone telling you about your employees' misbehavior, is this true, Mrs Business Owner?

"You bet your pattotie!" It ain't nobody's business if my employees want to tie one on and have a little fun at other people's expense during the work day. I don't want to know about it. So what if they caused property damage or injury to other people while intoxicated! Isn't this America? A free country?"

Something like that, maybe? Just trying to understand where you are coming from.

If I misinterpreted your "yes," please forgive me.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:55 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Does your "yes" mean that if you owned this company, you would rather not know that your supervisor and his crew were out drinking at lunch intending to go back to work, putting your company at huge risk for liability? Representing your company in your uniform while misbehaving and getting drunk against your company policy?

This is really how you'd prefer to run your company? Hey, if my employees, who operate company vehicles and large heavy machinery, hauling dangerous chemicals, want to get drunk during lunch, that's fine with me!"

You'd be okay with that being on the news when these guys end up on the news and your company sued?

And the news company says, wow, we learned that your professional friend was in the booth right next to these guys and even asked them to tone down their behavior, but we were told that you don't want your friends or anyone telling you about your employees' misbehavior, is this true, Mrs Business Owner?

"You bet your pattotie!" It ain't nobody's business if my employees want to tie one on and have a little fun at other people's expense during the work day. I don't want to know about it. So what if they caused property damage or injury to other people while intoxicated! Isn't this America? A free country?"

Something like that, maybe? Just trying to understand where you are coming from.

If I misinterpreted your "yes," please forgive me.
I forgive you!

Old 12-08-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm not confused.

Let's review the story. I don't see anywhere that they're personal friends of the manager.

And, suddenly he's calling after seeing them pile in the company vehicle, which is not apparent in theinitial post, which says he calls while getting their license plate out in the lot.

In this post, they had just gotten off a job, in subsequent posts they were going back to work to kill everyone with their wobbly operation of heavy machinery.

Now what I think happened is the guys got a bit rowdy in the bar after work, (not during a shift) as oilmen probably do, and while it's not the best form to ignore requests to tone it down a bit, their actual mistake was to blow off MrAragon, which is quite clearly stated below. No mention here of being worried for life and limb.

Now is it nice to get drunk and ribald in front of children? No. I am also of the opinion that it's just as rude to get people fired.
Hmmm, Sunday, lunch, middle of shift.... you might want to go back and re-read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So he called their boss before they even got up from the table, let them get behind the wheel knowing they were drunk rather than alert the manager (or the police) of the potential danger? That and your gleeful description of this as a GREAT story, is why people are thinking it has more to do with your husband feeling disrespected (after all their mistake was to smart mouth him right?) than his concern for the safety of others.
So, what you're saying is that he called the boss BEFORE they got behind the wheel...

and this is bad because...

Quote:
Thank you for posting this, and clarifying that it is indeed the responsibility of management to handle these situations.
Do you know anything about the story of the woman who was repeatedly stabbed in New York with a multitude of people watching, who never called the cops, because it was not their responsibility to get involved?

Her name was Kitty Genovese. Look it up.

Quote:

If somebody posts something and doesn't get the response expected because some of us don't happen to agree with the way it was handled, that's not bullying.
Hey, justify it in whatever way works for you. I'm not buying it.

Last edited by Jaded; 12-10-2014 at 11:35 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Do you know anything about the story of the woman who was repeatedly stabbed in New York with a multitude of people watching, who never called the cops, because it was not their responsibility to get involved?

I doubt calling the killer's boss would have saved her life. Calling LE might have. Regardless, this is one of the lamest analogies ever.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Hmmm, Sunday, lunch, middle of shift.... you might want to go back and re-read.

So, what you're saying is that he called the boss BEFORE they got behind the wheel...

and this is bad because...

Hey, justify it in whatever way works for you. I'm not buying it.
To answer the question posed to me.

I was responding directly to Kathryn's query as to what one SHOULD do if they saw a bunch of drunk guys getting into a company vehicle.

Except they weren't climbing into a vehicle - company or otherwise. If indeed the guys were hammered, the thing to do, just like the unruly child, is to speak with the manager of the restaurant. Not the drunk guys. If that gets you nowhere and you fear for the safety of others, you call the police. Not the boss of the drunk guys.

Last edited by Jaded; 12-10-2014 at 11:36 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
They weren't climbing into the vehicle. If indeed they guys were hammered, the thing to do, just like the unruly child, is to speak with the manager of the restaurant. Not the drunk guys. If that gets you nowhere and you fear for the safety of others, you call the police. Not the boss of the drunk guys.
No, that's what YOU would do - not necessarily what other people would think is appropriate.

My husband was in the same position as the guy he called - with another company. He used the rule of thumb that societies have handed down since ancient times, which is "Treat others as you would like to be treated." He would have much appreciated the call if the shoe was on the other foot, so he made the call. He didn't say, "You should fire these guys!" He just said, "They're here at Chilis, they've had quite a bit to drink, they're wearing company uniforms and I believe this is the license plate of the company vehicle. They're also being loud and cussing like sailors in a restaurant full of families. I thought you would like to know that." The other manager was VERY glad to know that and expressed his gratitude in no uncertain terms.

You might not have appreciated it, but I doubt seriously that you'll ever be an Ops Mgr for an international oilfield services company and have to deal with the issues such a management position entails. I won't be either - besides the fact that I'm not qualified, I wouldn't want to deal with the headaches. I would CERTAINLY appreciate someone else in a similar position having my back though.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:15 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No, that's what YOU would do - not necessarily what other people would think is appropriate.

My husband was in the same position as the guy he called - with another company. He used the rule of thumb that societies have handed down since ancient times, which is "Treat others as you would like to be treated." He would have much appreciated the call if the shoe was on the other foot, so he made the call. He didn't say, "You should fire these guys!" He just said, "They're here at Chilis, they've had quite a bit to drink, they're wearing company uniforms and I believe this is the license plate of the company vehicle. They're also being loud and cussing like sailors in a restaurant full of families. I thought you would like to know that." The other manager was VERY glad to know that and expressed his gratitude in no uncertain terms.

You might not have appreciated it, but I doubt seriously that you'll ever be an Ops Mgr for an international oilfield services company and have to deal with the issues such a management position entails. I won't be either - besides the fact that I'm not qualified, I wouldn't want to deal with the headaches. I would CERTAINLY appreciate someone else in a similar position having my back though.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I doubt calling the killer's boss would have saved her life. Calling LE might have. Regardless, this is one of the lamest analogies ever.
Hmmm, an analogy directly related to your comment that the friend of the company director, should not call the company director, but rather rely on the assistant manager of the restaurant, to make sure the company director's employees didn't drive drunk or operate dangerous machinery while intoxicated.

Basically, you were saying that the friend should not call the other friend when they were aware of a potentially dangerous and/or liabilty issue that could seriously hurt the friend's business, but should sit back and hope/rely on the idea that the unattentive assistant manager should take care of the problem, rather than doing anything themselves.

Are these the kinds of friends you want? Friends who wouldn't call you to try and save your business? You would actually be MAD at your friends if they called you to save your business?

I find that fascinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships