Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 05:51 PM

55 posts, read 160,702 times

Advertisements

I have a guy friend whom I'm really close with. I'm the type of person to only want a few close friends while he's the type of person who's friends with basically everyone. Every time I ask if he wants to hang out: grab lunch, see a play or movie, etc. etc. he *always* says he's too busy. Which he legitimately is an extremely busy person, but they always say if someone wants to hang out with you they'll make time, right? Also, he never tries to make plans with me. I'm always the one trying to make plans. 99% of the time he shoots them down saying he's busy. He does give an actual reason though not just saying "I'm busy." I've asked him if he even wants to hang out with me, and he said not to worry and pretty much said I'm fine to keep asking. However, he hangs out with other friends one-on-one; even female friends.

Thing is though, he doesn't mind hanging out with me if it's in a group setting. For example, I asked him the other day if he'd want to catch this new movie coming out, and he responded, "That'd be a great thing for us to grab some other friends and go as a group." I don't mind hanging out in a group, but at the same time, I'd like to hang out with my friend one-on-one. So, it's kind of hurtful that he doesn't find time or make time for us to just hang out by ourselves.

Why do you think he only likes to hang out in a group? By the way, there's no chance of either of us wanting something romantically.

Last edited by CaptainCode; 12-19-2014 at 06:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 06:21 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCode View Post

Why do you think he only likes to hang out in a group? By the way, there's no chance of either of us wanting something romantically.
Idk, maybe you're boring to hang with?

Old 12-19-2014, 06:23 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Maybe he associates a male and female hanging out together as dating...and he doesn't want to do it. Respect his boundaries.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCode View Post
The other female friends he hangs out with probably are of interest to him (romantically) and so he will do the one-on-one with them. With you, maybe he also recognizes there's no chance that the two of you could connect romantically and, therefore, figures, "What's the point?" Especially since he's really busy, it makes more sense to spend one hour with 20 friends than one hour with one friend.

[you did say he is friends with basically everyone]

Old 12-19-2014, 08:14 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Maybe he associates a male and female hanging out together as dating...and he doesn't want to do it. Respect his boundaries.
OP:

That is very good advice.

Here is why.

Friendship That Invites Confusion and Frustration

Enjoying the Convenient, Delaying the Good

Three levels of friendships: acquaintances, companions and intimate friends. Men and women cannot sustain an intimate friendship without one or the other harboring romantic expectations. Men and women are wired differently.

When a man or a woman indicates he or she would like to see you as more than a companion, but claims the two of you are "just friends," he or she sends a mixed message. If either one of you are not romantically interested in each other, then it is best not to hang out alone.

One party can selfishly enjoy all the benefits of a relationship, the warmth and relief from loneliness, the satisfaction of the attention that feeds the ego — all without the accompanying commitment. One party luxuriates, while the other party feels cheated and is left with deep unsatisfied longings.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:33 PM

55 posts, read 160,702 times
You guys bring up some solid points; however, he's gay, so obviously the women he hangs out with, he has no romantic feelings for.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:56 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Idk, maybe you're boring to hang with?
This made me chuckle

Old 12-19-2014, 09:01 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,613 times
He's not gay and you are "Captain." But he's probably too liberal and pansy to tell you off. Which makes him come across as gay.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:43 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Find more friends.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:46 PM

52,196 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Can't tell if your a dude or not, based on your masculine sounding screen name I'd put you as a man... if so I've never seen a straight dude act like your acting...so I hope you're a female.. and if you're a female then you're still coming off as needy and clearly wanting more than being a friend....

I think some introspection on what you really want from this dude is in order......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships