Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 05:14 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,267,652 times

Advertisements

This has happened to me several times, too, but I've never given it any thought. I'm inclined to agree with the poster who stated that it could be from not looking confused. How we appear while browsing through things, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 05:38 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,256,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remember reading a story a few years ago about a man who was traveling. He was wearing a business jacket, and his plane was delayed and the hold space was crowded and he couldn't find a seat, so he went to the empty desk near the gate and opened up his laptop and started to do some work.

Immediately, a line formed and people started asking him questions about the flight delays. He said, "No, no...I'm just a passenger, no one was here, I'm just using the desk to get some work done" but people didn't believe him and started shouting at him and threatening to call his supervisor. He just shut his laptop and walked away with everyone still yelling after him.
If people did this to me, I'd be tempted to direct them to a different gate and ask for Marv. I'd say "we're not supposed to do this, so just keep insisting on speaking to Marv. He can help you out."

I said I'd be tempted, not actually do it. Then again.....

Old 12-29-2014, 11:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,189,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
But many times, when I am at a store, other shoppers will assume I do and start asking questions or ask if I work there.

Any ideas why?

This happens even if there tends to be a dress code for the employees (or aprons or name badges).

Yesterday it happened at Petco, and I was wearing scrubs!
Maybe because they think you work there?

One time I made the mistake of going into Target wearing khakis and a red shirt.

ONCE.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:43 PM

16,012 posts, read 21,030,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Well, I'm white and people have asked me if I've worked in a place before---but I definitely do not have a friendly face. (And I have seen people ask others if they've worked in a place before.) Honestly, I think people are just lazy and hope the closest person to them works there so they don't have to find someone to ask a question. Given your experiences and where you are, I could see why you would wonder, since you may have not lived in other areas. (Unless you have...)
This. I do work in retail and I can be on break walking thru the store with my coat over my shoulder and a plate of hot food in my hand and people will ask me to stop and help them. I can be wearing my coat, purse over my shoulder, and kids in tow and people will still ask me to help them. I can come in in shorts and flip flops and still get asked for help. I had a lady follow me into the bathroom and bombard me with questions while I was IN the stall doing my business for pete's sake! People don't care, it's blatantly obvious I'm not on the clock but because they recognize that I'm an employee they feel like they can ask anyway.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:32 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,646,545 times
Happens to my best friend all the time-she looks friendly and alert.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:53 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,907,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
But many times, when I am at a store, other shoppers will assume I do and start asking questions or ask if I work there.

Any ideas why?

This happens even if there tends to be a dress code for the employees (or aprons or name badges).

Yesterday it happened at Petco, and I was wearing scrubs!
I had to laugh at this as this happened to me last week. I was in business casual, and was at a local grocer when someone approached me asked me where something was. I told her I don't work there and wouldn't know. That should have been the end of it, but she was upset! OK lady, go tell the store manager on me. Jeeze. People are oblivious.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:30 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,091,324 times
I get this frequently. I wear a suit to work and when going to a store with it on usually get asked if i work there. Never had a bad reaction most people seem slightly embarrassed actually. Not a big deal. Happens mainly at the grocery store locally, People asking me if something is on sale.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:42 PM

6,611 posts, read 4,847,569 times
Race, gender, and age all can be factors. I think old people are almost never mistaken for employees. Shopping alone is another thing that can cause confusion. Also, in many places, jeans will keep a customer from being hassled, even if wearing a polo shirt with it. Sneakers also can protect. Shorts are almost a guarantee, not that I recommend shorts for many adults.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:57 PM

6,506 posts, read 4,909,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Shorts are almost a guarantee, not that I recommend shorts for many adults.
Adults shouldn't wear shorts? At what age do you consider that to be the case? And climate?

Old 01-10-2015, 06:14 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,614,563 times
It is the scrubs. I have seen animal groomers and in-store veterinarians wearing hospital scrub type uniforms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships