Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 02:14 PM

986 posts, read 1,864,448 times

Advertisements

I am one of those people who does most of my phone calls while driving. It's the only time for me when I'm actually able to clear my head! When I'm at home, there's too much on my mind. While driving for some reason I am able to focus on actually having a conversation with someone. I don't think my friends are offended by this because it is always a quality conversation when I call them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 02:20 PM

26 posts, read 27,314 times
lol What? no. That's called busy heading somewhere and catching up when you can.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:49 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
That's when I make most of my calls, too. I think the OP needs to work on his self esteem.

Sometimes, I just sit in the car and talk because the Handsfree phone is most relaxing option.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:03 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
That's when I make most of my calls, too. I think the OP needs to work on his self esteem.

Sometimes, I just sit in the car and talk because the Handsfree phone is most relaxing option.
Me too!

I am a very busy person and often like to have a little quiet time to myself once I've done everything for the day ~ work wise, dog wise, meal wise and whatever else I have to do, so I do NOT like to spend that hour or so chatting on the phone, it's my wind down time.

If someone calls me from the car to chat I it's not a good time for me I either don't pick up the call, or pick it up and tell them. My friends are busy too!

Old 12-24-2014, 03:21 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
I do all my calling in the car. I have to because the cellular service in my house is crappy and I'm constantly dropping calls.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:29 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
Why do you care when they call you? At least they're calling you; most people just text instead of calling since they don't even want to waste the time it takes to call.
Maybe they don't want to interrupt your schedule? By texting, that gives you the option of seeing what they wrote and you replying at a time that is convenient for you

Old 12-24-2014, 03:42 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times
My ex used to do this. She didn't only call me when driving, but she called during her afternoon commute EVERY DAY. Exactly from 5pm until 6pm.

She also used to want me to "be available" to talk whenever she had to do a long drive for her job, or drive up from LA to Monterrey to visit her mom. I think she really just didn't like being in the car by herself.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:42 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
My best friend does this. It is the only time she has to herself. I don't mind at all. If I did, I would never get to talk with her, since I moved away.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:35 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
Aside from the safety of talking while driving (I know, not nearly as bad as texting, but still distracting the driver more than just passively listening to the radio), I just find it sad that so many of us are too busy to talk when we are at home, like we used to do in the Stone Age. Somehow we survived. Calls were missed, for sure, but usually people called back and eventually got us at home. What is it that we are so busy doing nowadays that we weren't doing 30 years ago? Not a rhetorical question. Really wondering.

I find it sad that one of my neighbors has a son who will only call her when he is at one of his kid's soccer games. It's like he can't make time for her when he's home---just has to multitask when he is stuck at a game.

I like it when friends honor me with their total attention. Maybe that's a lot to expect today, but to me it's part of mindful living. (And yes, I do yoga and meditate, so I AM that sort of person----but it works for me to be more present in each moment.)

Old 12-24-2014, 04:45 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
I work a lot, am on the road a lot, and if I don't call my family/friends while in traffic on hands free bluetooth then I wouldn't be able to talk with them much.

There is so much traffic in So Cal driving and talking hands free at 5 MPH is not a safety risk for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships