Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 02:00 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
It's one reason to still use land-lines at home, but I know those used to using cell phones more don't usually have a land-line nowadays. In a place that has Earthquakes, there should be a land-line available to use when service is restored.
still got my landline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 02:12 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Yeah the conversation does end instantly once they get to their destintation lol
Yes, this is what bothers me.. maybe it is a particular personality, acting like they care to be in touch, then share what is happening with them, then - "Well, I am in my driveway..." or have arrived elsewhere and they're done. Not worth it. To have a conversation, I like to sit comfortably using a real phone and would prefer them to contact me when they can do the same.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:31 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
This stance is unbelievable. Nowhere did I read the "just" part.

You were thought of and somehow that's rude?
No, not necessarily "thought of", since it seems they are bored and are wanting a diversion or they are looking to "unload" and you're it.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:15 AM

6,386 posts, read 6,274,180 times
No one calls me at all so count your blessings.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:59 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
*sigh* It is pretty sad that someone cares so much about when I make a phone call that they need to take the time to give me an anonymous rep comment about needing to control my kids so they aren't in my face at home. Some of you need to seriously get a life, or learn how to enjoy the one you have. Be glad someone took the time to call you and quit bitching about stupid details here.

The people I call from the car also call me from the car on a regular basis for the same reasons, so I can guarantee they are fine with it, so mind your own business.

ps my kids are fine. Thanks so much for your concern.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:30 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
*sigh* It is pretty sad that someone cares so much about when I make a phone call that they need to take the time to give me an anonymous rep comment about needing to control my kids so they aren't in my face at home. Some of you need to seriously get a life, or learn how to enjoy the one you have. Be glad someone took the time to call you and quit bitching about stupid details here.

The people I call from the car also call me from the car on a regular basis for the same reasons, so I can guarantee they are fine with it, so mind your own business.

ps my kids are fine. Thanks so much for your concern.:roll eyes:

You and your friends may be fine with chatting while driving, it's the rest of us, the ones you run into that are uneasy with this practice.

Cell phone usage is involved in a third of the car wrecks these days.

I know. I know. You will never be one of these irresponsible drivers. You can totally focus on both driving and talking at the same time. Not a problem.

Might I suggest you use this laser mind focus techniques to talk on the phone at home without being distracted by your children's behavior.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:36 AM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
No, not necessarily "thought of", since it seems they are bored and are wanting a diversion or they are looking to "unload" and you're it.
Exactly. This is what's annoying about it, and somewhat offensive. Plus the fact that the connection from the cell phone while driving can fade in and out. Who wants to put up with that? Why not wait til you get home, and call from home where the connection is stable, or better yet--from your landline, if you have one?

Old 12-28-2014, 08:42 AM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You and your friends may be fine with chatting while driving, it's the rest of us, the ones you run into that are uneasy with this practice.

Cell phone usage is involved in a third of the car wrecks these days.

I know. I know. You will never be one of these irresponsible drivers. You can totally focus on both driving and talking at the same time. Not a problem.

Might I suggest you use this laser mind focus techniques to talk on the phone at home without being distracted by your children's behavior.
I saw an accident that happened because someone stopped at an intersection and was using their cell phone there, stopped in the middle of the street, thinking there were no other cars around. So the caller was blocking the intersection. A car came up from behind, and because it was an icy winter day, the car wasn't able to stop, and slid on the ice, hitting the person parked in the middle of the street, talking on his phone. It's illegal to use a cell phone while driving in my town.

People do some really stupid things on their cell phones, in their car. Instead of pulling off to the side, or into an empty parking lot to have their chat or use their GPS or whatever it is they're doing on their phone, they block traffic and cause accidents.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:59 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,095 times
Quote:
It's one reason to still use land-lines at home, but I know those used to using cell phones more don't usually have a land-line nowadays. In a place that has Earthquakes, there should be a land-line available to use when service is restored.
No reason for one person to have two phone lines. I have a corded phone plugged into a jack in case I need to make an emergency call. I don't need to spend the money on a land-line.

And no concern of earthquakes in NC. On the rare occasion we have an earthquake, it's barely felt.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:30 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I saw an accident that happened because someone stopped at an intersection and was using their cell phone there, stopped in the middle of the street, thinking there were no other cars around. So the caller was blocking the intersection. A car came up from behind, and because it was an icy winter day, the car wasn't able to stop, and slid on the ice, hitting the person parked in the middle of the street, talking on his phone. It's illegal to use a cell phone while driving in my town.

People do some really stupid things on their cell phones, in their car. Instead of pulling off to the side, or into an empty parking lot to have their chat or use their GPS or whatever it is they're doing on their phone, they block traffic and cause accidents.
I can't tell you how many times I've seen drivers in parking lots jump into their cars, pull out their phones, and then nearly hit a person, a car, or a shopping cart.

A week ago it was a woman with a grocery cart and an older lady next to her with a walker. They were moving at a snail's pace. It wasn't like they suddenly appeared or jumped behind the driver with the cell phone.

It's like their mind is on auto pilot and they don't "see" folks walking to their cars.

I've seen drivers back into grocery carts, then get out and while still talking on their cell phones, to see what happened.

"Gotta go."

There will always be people who insist they can talk and drive just fine. Maybe then can -- most of the time.

I've even known people who insist they can text and drive just fine, as ridiculous as that sounds.

I would never want someone I know to risk their lives or the lives of others just so we can chat. Life is too darn short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships