Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 03:51 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times

Advertisements

I am not sure they care about YOUR Christmas.......they are just getting ready to tell you about THEIR Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 07:40 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
[quote=thinkalot;37786644]Why do people do that. I must have had a dozen people ask me how was my Christmas was. Do they really want to know? What if they ask some of the posters on here that were alone on Christmas? Or the people on the grief and mourning board that are having their first Christmas alone? What is the point of asking that?

My Christmas was ok. Asking me does no harm but I think of others and their Christmas, or lack of one.

Next year I might answer "everyone I ever loved is dead, how do you think it was?". That isn't true but maybe that will get some people to stop asking and hurting others feelings.[/quote]

Most people wouldn't even know that they might be "hurting others feelings". I've been going through this at work the last few days with customers and since I just lost my mom last week it's been kind of rough. People have asked me if I had a "nice Christmas" and I've just said "Oh yeah" and that's that. It was a miserable day, all alone by myself, just sitting here thinking about everything! The past, the 'now, and my future. But I wouldn't hold it against anyone for asking a simple question. They don't know what's been going on in my life and I'm not telling them so I suck it up and be polite. I would think it odd if people didn't ask. It's just conversation to fill a minute or two.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:10 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
Its just conversation starters & no one should be offended by it. I have had people ask me about holidays when waiting in line at a store. If I did nothing special for the holiday I would just say something like relaxed at home & watched Netflix. Recently read this article that the most famous Christmas day food is Chinese:
Christmas Day most popular for Chinese food, Google says | fox8.com

So chances are many people are spending the holiday alone & there is noting to feel bad about it. Sometimes being alone is better than spending time with a dysfunctional family. Even if you had an unhappy event in your life, you don't need to jump on people for asking a harmless question.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:17 AM

715 posts, read 1,233,600 times
It's just a nice change for small talk.

I'll ask "How's your Christmas?", they'll say "Good", I'll ask, "Get anything good?"

I've asked "How's your Christmas?" before and someone told me what they received. Sometimes, it's an item that I'm interested in and it spirals a conversation.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:27 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am not sure they care about YOUR Christmas.......they are just getting ready to tell you about THEIR Christmas.
This is funny because I was going to say that what I find awkward is I am asked about my "whatever" (Christmas, New Year's, Birthday, etc.) and I like to talk about myself, so I delight in it, but then I find myself "having to" ask about theirs, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships