Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Something I have noticed, being a realtor in an engineer town - engineers usually cook well. Doesn't matter if it is the husband or the wife - whoever is the engineer usually cooks for the family and is the main one interested in the kitchen, when looking for a house. My son is also an engineer - and cooks in a major and inventive way, while my DIL doesn't do such a great job (but she does clean-up, which is more than fair). There is a connection there. Makes sense - since food prep itself is a science using proportions and heat time.

Also makes sense, since when I look back on my childhood and realize my mother (who has no math ability AT ALL) could not boil water (the steak as shoe leather sure brought back too many bad memories). Also the stories of bloody chicken rang too true. UGH. Her main staple was Velveeta, which she slathered on everything.
I think engineers are good at following recipes. But are not necessarily intuitive cooks. I am an intuitive cook. I don't really measure, taste as I go, and modify recipes if I even think of following them. For that reason, I tend to skip baking. Baking requires measuring, and it is much harder to experiment.

For intuitive cooks, exposure is critical. For those people who follow recipes, it is "easier" to expand your repertoire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 10:59 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
Engineers are good at following recipes, but also at estimating stuff. They are also into problem solving. If they screw something up, they'll figure out what went wrong and fix it next time. Whereas a lot of people would just get embarrassed and never make another attempt.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:35 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Wow, that is freaky because my late father was an engineer and he was a phenomenal cook. My mother is the one who is a disaster in the kitchen.
Same for my dad...he was an electrical engineer...and still a GREAT cook.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:54 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
no. i feel bad for people whose family cant cook
^

Same here.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:20 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Over the holidays my mom made sausage for breakfast that was way too crispy.
If you are talking about sausage patties, that's my kind of sausage! I like it very brown and bordering on crispy. I can't stand undercooked pork. I like link sausage well browned too. And I like the thin breakfast pork chops fried in a pan and well browned and the fat crispy!

Old 12-30-2014, 12:52 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
I think there are a few things engineers can recognize: 1) Cooking is science. How the food comes out is a physics/chemistry/psychology experiment.
No no no no, hell no. Cooking is an ART. I'm 66 years old and I only just learned this a few years ago. Come stand by me while I'm cooking a pot of Guinness Stew and you might get this. Or not.
The rest of your post makes sense.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:57 AM

908 posts, read 961,218 times
my mom "thought" she could cook but she's a very minimum kind of cook. my MIL cooks w/ all her heart and you can see and taste the difference. unfortunately i'm just like my mom. i dislike cooking and do my 5 rounds of various dishes to get the family fed. my husband (engineer also) is an excellent cook and he enjoys it. i wish he had more time to cook for the family but at least he does all the meals on the weekends.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
My mom is a decent cook. Everything is edible, except maybe steak. My dad is an engineer who has some very good but painstaking recipes that sometimes require expensive tools. His margarita recipe has version control and a bill of materials.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:38 AM

997 posts, read 1,061,200 times
My mom was a boring cook. We basically had baked split chicken breast, carolina white rice and frozen peas or green beans every night. When I moved out on my own, I started cooking new and exciting dishes, and quickly realized that I was pretty good at it. Whenever my husband and I (and eventually our kids) would visit my mother, she'd have me prepare the meals.

I'm also an intuitive cook, rarely measuring things (except when I'm baking) and just eyeball it and taste as I go along. I very rarely follow a recipe exactly, usually adding my own spin to things. I'm trying to teach my kids to cook this way, and my oldest, who has been living in an off campus house for the past two years seems to be doing very well at it.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:58 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Does anyone else have a terrible cook for a mother? Any holiday cooking horror stories?
On the positive side, when your mother is a horrible cook you find airline food and school cafeteria food quite palatable, actually. Everything my mother cooked was bland and usually came out of a box (just add water!) or the freezer.

When people in movies or on TV would say they are looking forward to "some home cooking", I had no idea what they were talking about. It seemed phony, to look forward to that.

When we were kids and we'd go to a restaurant that advertised "homemade" dishes, we would groan and ask why we couldn't go to a restaurant that served restaurant food!

Homemade chicken soup was the worst. It tasted like dishwater.

American Chop Suey was a standard. Boil some egg noodles then strain them. Add ground beef and a can of Campbell's tomato soup, and wallah! Give it to the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships