Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 01:16 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,604,918 times

Advertisements

I deactivated my personal Facebook account, but I still kept a Nom de Plume account that I sign onto from time to time to lurk. I did keep in touch with someone from the concert (someone non-creepy) and I gave him the Nom de Plume account. I explained I deactivated my personal account. He added it. Apparently for the past few days he's been negative, depressed and posted some suicidal stuff. I reported this post to Facebook:

"Can't sleep, even if I tried. Right now all I can think about is just passing away in my sleep, just cause from what I know; it's painless. But I wanna pass away in my sleep next to someone special, whether I'm with them or not. But if I order that they have feelings for me, that their live will bring me back to life. Its a weird thing to think of, but what else is there to do at 7 in the morning? Idk Im in a I don't care kind of mood."

Facebook didn't deem it breaking any rules, so it wasn't removed. Am I reading too much into the post? Sometimes I wonder if some people just post things for attention. Well, I won't be signing into that Nom de Plume account much in 2015 because this year I want to cut Facebook out completely and only use Instagram and Twitter for blogging posts. But, this year I'm cutting out negative people. I have a lot I want to accomplish this year.

But, would Facebook report any suicidal content to the proper authorities?

Last edited by jessxwrites89; 01-01-2015 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Nom de Plume not "Name de Plume"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 02:31 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,849,639 times
Facebook isn't going to block thought. Anyways, if its a cry for help, its better to not censor that and allow family and friends to have a chance to intervene. My nephew was (luckily) taken to a hospital because his mom saw his suicidal comments in time.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:45 PM

Yeah, he has his family added on Facebook, but I don't think they did anything yet because he kept posting suicidal stuff. He has multiple personality disorder... so I'm not really sure. I used to have a small crush on him, but when he told me he had multiple personality disorder, and I felt negative after talking to him... I thought, "Nah. Not getting involved and he makes me feel really negative." Then again I'm not looking for romance and I want to move, he wants to stay in PA and his life is a wreck (he got two different girls pregnant or so he claims).

I didn't want Facebook to remove it, but I was hoping Facebook would call the suicide hotline or notify that.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:57 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,849,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Yeah, he has his family added on Facebook, but I don't think they did anything yet because he kept posting suicidal stuff. He has multiple personality disorder... so I'm not really sure. I used to have a small crush on him, but when he told me he had multiple personality disorder, and I felt negative after talking to him... I thought, "Nah. Not getting involved and he makes me feel really negative." Then again I'm not looking for romance and I want to move, he wants to stay in PA and his life is a wreck (he got two different girls pregnant or so he claims).

I didn't want Facebook to remove it, but I was hoping Facebook would call the suicide hotline or notify that.
Wise decision. People with DID (previously called MPD) can be a roller coaster to deal with until they have had years and years of targeted therapy. Not that they aren't worthy of love, if someone chose to. But it is alot to take on. Add he is a baby daddy to at least a couple kids...way too much work. Good call but you got to get your picker fixed and avoid this drama from the get go.

Suicide Prevention: How to Help Someone who is Suicidal

Old 01-01-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Wise decision. People with DID (previously called MPD) can be a roller coaster to deal with until they have had years and years of targeted therapy. Not that they aren't worthy of love, if someone chose to. But it is alot to take on. Add he is a baby daddy to at least a couple kids...way too much work. Good call but you got to get your picker fixed and avoid this drama from the get go.

Suicide Prevention: How to Help Someone who is Suicidal
Thanks for that link. Most of my friends are out of state, but most of them are well adjusted people and don't contemplate that... but I'll bookmark the link anyway. Sometimes I feel that way too.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:18 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,718,454 times
Quote:

I think that you should call not Facebook. Why is it Facebooks job wouldn't it be a friend or family members job? I hope you helped him rather than complain to FB.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I think that you should call not Facebook. Why is it Facebooks job wouldn't it be a friend or family members job? I hope you helped him rather than complain to FB.
I rather not call because I don't want to be lectured about not getting involved - of course people who lecture me about not getting involved are right. I never use the phone unless it's needed. Since he was talking about him dying because a woman wouldn't sleep with him and posting things about relationships and no one wants him, I just took it as an act of attention because girls comment on his Facebook about how hot he is all the time. He's in and out of relationships. Maybe Facebook did too - think it was just attention talk. I pretty much wrote him off - he's in a very bad place.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:48 PM

6,535 posts, read 8,340,612 times
Quote:
Facebook is just a platform, and I don't feel it's their place to make the call. It's up to his friends and family to make the call if they are alarmed.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:55 PM

Yeah, I see that. I deactivated my personal account 7 months ago and never had to use these features on my nom de plume - when I saw they added something for suicidal tendencies, I thought they'd do more. ::shrug:: Who knows. I'm not signing on the nom de plume anymore - I deactivated my personal Facebook for a reason.

I guess people who know him well weren't alarmed since they just wrote LOL as responses to his status updates. Or liked them. It confused me because it wasn't funny... at least I don't find that funny.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:27 PM

22,420 posts, read 47,402,095 times
Facebook has - what? - a billion users?
No way they can read all the posts; I would think that action on their part is near impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships