Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 04:41 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Not racist at all. Just a couple posters observing that Hispanics seem to let kids do whatever in public here in the States.

But if you want to bring racism into the discussion, wouldn't your comment be just as racist since you're relating YOUR experiences in generalities ? Just because your observations happened to be positive ones doesn't make them any less racist than mine or the other posters.
Actually they were because I happened to be country specific, not referring to someones skin color. They dont know if they were from Mexico or El Salvador. Even you said it "hispanics". At least I knew what country I was in. I was talking about a general cultural difference in country, not a "race" of parents who all suck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 04:46 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
To clarify, she wasn't kicking and screaming or causing chaos. It was the crying, arms folded, foot stomping, "I WANT this" type of thing.
Maybe she wasn't "causing chaos" for you, but for any and everyone else within hearing distance, this kind of behavior can be profoundly annoying.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:53 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
What would you like other people to do while your child has a tantrum in a store or restaurant? It can be distracting. I am somewhat sympathetic since a have a nephew who is autistic. I know my sister-in-law has done all she could to take care of him and make him happy.
You misunderstood me, I did not simply stand by and let my son have a tantrum in the middle of the store. BUT, there were many instances where he'd start fussing and it would take us 5, 10, 15 minutes to either try and distract or calm him or to get him outside if necessary - and if he started resisting, the physical part of trying to take him out would likely be much more of a disturbance than just trying to switch his attention to something else. OR we couldn't leave that very moment because we had to pay the bill/ finish checking out the groceries or whatever, or I physically couldn't carry him out because I was alone, he was resisting, and the car was across a busy lot, for example. Once he was old enough, having a sure-fire way to pre-emptively prevent these from happening - namely ipad/phone etc - made for a much less stressful and more pleasant experience for everyone involved.
So all I'd like from other people? Just a bit of tolerance and sympathy, when you can see the parent is trying but struggling to control the situation, and a bit of understanding, at least enough to not make out-loud comments or give withering glances. Believe me the parent already knows it's a humiliating situation to be in, they feel bad enough, they don't need to be made to feel worse. Oh, and no judging looks for having our kid playing his ipad at the table - it's in your best interests That is all .

Old 01-08-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Oh, and no judging looks for having our kid playing his ipad at the table - it's in your best interests That is all.
Sorry. You don't get to tell me what's "in (my) best interests." I hate being aurally assaulted while eating out -- or, more importantly, when I am trapped in my seat on a plane -- by digital noise I can't turn off just as much as I hate the sound of a child shrieking and screaming. If I wanted little noisemonsters, I would have had some of my own.

Last edited by jay5835; 01-08-2015 at 09:59 PM..

Old 01-08-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Sorry. You don't get to tell me what's in my best interest. I hate being aurally assaulted while trapped in my seat on a plane by digital noise I can't turn off just as much as I hate the sound of a child shrieking and screaming. If I wanted little noisemonsters, I would have had some of my own.
aurally assaulted, seriously??
What if there's no sound? What if the kid has headphones?

I hear lots of things in public that I don't particularly enjoy listening to. Not all of it involves kids. So what? If you can't stand to be exposed to outside sounds, stay home, seriously.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
aurally assaulted, seriously??
What if there's no sound? What if the kid has headphones?

I hear lots of things in public that I don't particularly enjoy listening to. Not all of it involves kids. So what? If you can't stand to be exposed to outside sounds, stay home, seriously.
Obviously, I am only talking about noise. If there's no sound, there's nothing to discuss. And no, I'm not going to not fly because of someone else's overblown sense of entitlement. Again, though, I thank you for exposing your mindset. Who knew?

Old 01-08-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Obviously, I am only talking about noise. If there's no sound, there's nothing to discuss. And no, I'm not going to not fly because of someone else's overblown sense of entitlement. Again, though, I thank you for exposing your mindset. Who knew?
Well as i already responded to your comment about noise stating that I make sure my kid's device is turned down or in headphones, I don't get why you keep quoting me and harping on about noise

Old 01-08-2015, 10:23 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Quote:
Once he was old enough, having a sure-fire way to pre-emptively prevent these from happening - namely ipad/phone etc - made for a much less stressful and more pleasant experience for everyone involved.
So all I'd like from other people? Just a bit of tolerance and sympathy, when you can see the parent is trying but struggling to control the situation, and a bit of understanding, at least enough to not make out-loud comments or give withering glances. Believe me the parent already knows it's a humiliating situation to be in, they feel bad enough, they don't need to be made to feel worse. Oh, and no judging looks for having our kid playing his ipad at the table - it's in your best interests That is all .
Sometimes the parent may be misinterpreting those looks.

Recently I was behind a woman with a 4ish-old sitting in the cart, in line for the cash register. She was a good mother - not talking on her cell but interacting with her small child. When it got to the point that she was going to have to direct her attention to placing her items on the register roller, she pulled out her cell, pulled up a Sesame Street-type app and handed it to her child. She saw me watching and said, "I know I probably should not be using that". I said, "No, I was actually thinking that I wish I had had something like that for when my son was that age and I was trying to check out." Much better that than letting the kid see the toys, candy, etc. the stores place near the register.

I have also had a parent have to bring a child at closing. An ipad was a life-saver. With the right apps, it is no different than letting them watch Sesame Street.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:14 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
sitting there. Shoot me. Just saw that now.
lol!

Old 01-09-2015, 02:30 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Actually, in the blame game here, you forgot one important thing. Some kids are special needs/high emotional/individual people.

Maybe that foolish mom had an autistic or sensory kid and letting him stim on her was the only way to keep him from melting down in that busy situation and it was the best she had come up with to that point.

Maybe that screaming toddler who parents are trying to placate had early trauma and her brain is wired to react overly emotionally, and maybe they are working with therapists but at that point and time, the only option is to make her happy.

Maybe that little boy who seems bossy and rude is socially delayed and his parents are doing the best the can to help him catch up.

Maybe that mom who isn't disciplining her child was abused as a child and she really doesn't know how to parent, but she is trying her best.

There is a lot more to raising children then parenting, thats for sure. It actually involves...tiny humans with all their own humanity.
Straighten them out, or leave them at home, no excuse for that amount of uncompliance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships