Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 05:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

So...what do you all think? How would you have handled this?
I wouldn't have said anything. I would have walked up to them and started taking pix with my phone. And then called 911.

[and given the police the pix as evidence]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 05:54 PM

336 posts, read 441,850 times
Quote:
Today I was out doing errands. I happened to be out around the time the middle and high schools let the kids out at the end of the school day.

Normally, when I come across these kids I don't see any bad behavior. The worst I've seen is them getting loud. Today was different. I parked my car and was walking through a parking lot. Up ahead was a group of about 10 kids (boys and girls). This caught my attention because they had all put their backpacks in a pile and appeared to be watching something.

Sure enough, two girls were on the ground. I figured that they were just fooling around, but no. As I got closer I saw that one girl had the other pinned to the ground. When the girl on the ground tried to raise her head, the one on top shoved it back down.

At that point, I called out to leave the girl alone. They just looked at me. So I said, once again, to leave her alone or I was going to call 911 and get the police there. I moved my hand to reach for my phone. At that point, they all grabbed their backpacks and went running.

As a kid, I was bullied and often wished that someone would intervene. So, seeing what was going on, I thought of all the times people watch, even film, such things without attempting to stop it. I figured that if I didn't speak up, then I was a hypocrite.

You are lucky that it went the way that it did.

I got bullied in high school too so I know where you are coming from, but not my fight, not my problem.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:02 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I would have done the above too rather than cause attention on myself because now they know what YOU look like & probably what kind of car you drive. If you had just called anonymously from a safe distance, they would just think the police happened to come & they wouldn't have any idea who called.

Now let's just hope & pray that the group kids don't just do the same thing the next day & try to beat up the girl some more in a more deserted location.
I doubt that they would recognize me. Due to the recent cold spell, I was bundled up, wearing boots, a heavy coat with a hood on my head and sunglasses. My car was parked in a different parking lot. Although, I would be lying if the thought of being recognized didn't cross my mind.

I, too, worry about the girl and hope she told a parent/guardian what happened.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:15 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,282 times
It's still not too late to notify both schools of what you saw on Monday/Tuesday.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:42 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Today I was out doing errands. I happened to be out around the time the middle and high schools let the kids out at the end of the school day.

Normally, when I come across these kids I don't see any bad behavior. The worst I've seen is them getting loud. Today was different. I parked my car and was walking through a parking lot. Up ahead was a group of about 10 kids (boys and girls). This caught my attention because they had all put their backpacks in a pile and appeared to be watching something.

Sure enough, two girls were on the ground. I figured that they were just fooling around, but no. As I got closer I saw that one girl had the other pinned to the ground. When the girl on the ground tried to raise her head, the one on top shoved it back down.

At that point, I called out to leave the girl alone. They just looked at me. So I said, once again, to leave her alone or I was going to call 911 and get the police there. I moved my hand to reach for my phone. At that point, they all grabbed their backpacks and went running.

As a kid, I was bullied and often wished that someone would intervene. So, seeing what was going on, I thought of all the times people watch, even film, such things without attempting to stop it. I figured that if I didn't speak up, then I was a hypocrite.

Exactly the same way. Good for you!

Old 01-12-2015, 06:57 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Well done.
Be proud of yourself.

You may want to let the school know, if it wasn't on school grounds, I still would.
The person getting beat on, her parents deserve to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships