Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 03:05 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Hand sanitizers dry out the skin and are not always available immediately.
Good point! Many churches are very dogmatic about all the members standing up and greeting those around them by shaking hands. No wonder we have a flu epidemic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 07:05 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
I'll always remember the dead fish handshake given by the surgeon who operated on my mother. I suppose he developed the habit to protect his hands, but I was still repulsed.

A man once gave me a bone-breaker handshake which caused me to yelp it hurt so much.

At my college graduation ceremonies, the president of the university shook hands as each graduate crossed the stage. He gripped my hand and at the same time literally pulled me past him to send me on my way. Clearly, he'd figured out a way to keep the line moving as fast as possible.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:05 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
this is an amusing thread , I work in a male dominated industry and we seem to shake a lot of hands, and
a firm grip is respected, tho there are about 20 guys we get into a vice grip squeeze competition that's kinda amusing.... it breaks the ice..

for the pansy hands ..its not a big deal,, I only squeeze as hard as the other guy, but I also know I can have a killer grip , that if contested, I can hold my own
I supervise many many stores - in particular, I supervise butchers/meatcutters that usually have very strong hands/arms and a firm grip is respected

upon first meeting someone I don't squeeze hard at all but take note if they do and on the leaving hand shake, I will squeeze just a bit harder than he did

with women,, I prefer hugs, if she offers her hand I will go in for the hug and swing her around-

Old 01-11-2015, 07:14 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
I like a nice firm handshake. I made sure to teach my kids that life skill at a young age. I always thought it was cute when they were young and someone commented on what a good handshake they had. After the comment I always got that glance from my kids, it was always one of those, "wow Mom, you were right" moments!

If someone gives me a weak handshake, it doesn't bother me. I just think, for me, it is a life skill like knowing how to hold your fork and such.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:36 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
I dont do handshakes because i always mess up the hand alignment and the other person simply ends up grasping my fingers. Sometimes the other person closes their hand too quickly and that messes it up as well. A simple hello works well for me among other things.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:55 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
I might've confused the terms. What I'm talking about is a handshake that kind of goes around your hand and squeezes very strongly often to the point of hurting a little - all the while giving you no chance to grasp their hand and "shake back". It's not the actual strength of the shake that is disconcerting - it's the denying the other person the opportunity to be an equal partner in the handshake so to speak. I hope that makes sense lol
Yes, that is a firm handshake. Dead fish is when someone gives you a limp hand. The older generation a firm handshake is a sign of confidence and respect. The kids nowadays like the fist pump. (Had to say that feeling old!!)

Old 01-11-2015, 08:26 AM

179 posts, read 268,529 times
I have always liked a firm handshake. I had a communications teacher in college say a limp one was much more acceptable but I don't like the dead fish feeling.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:38 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
I go out of my way to not Shake hands for many reasons. I don't want to touch your hands. I don't know or want to know where they have been. We need to abandon the handshake.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:13 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Worth the view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZZ7k8cMA-4

Old 01-11-2015, 09:43 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Handshakes are body language.

A dead fish shake, can indicate indifference and disinterest. It says, "I really don't care to shake your hand, but I'll go through the formalities.
This...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships