Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 04:58 PM

361 posts, read 725,188 times

Advertisements

Is it really? Particularly among young people.

I’m 27 and it is very rare that I meet someone my age who isn't into drinking and/or smoking. I recently moved to the UK, where everybody (95%) drinks and smokes and I’m definitely not into that kind of “social life”.
Whenever there’s an event or a get together, it has to be at a bar/pub. Am I the only one noticing this? Could it only be happening in my entourage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 05:02 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Not at all.
My kids, ages 27 and almost 31, rarely go to pubs/bars and have ZERO friends who smoke.
They have a very active social life.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:14 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I'm not sure if what's the norm here is the norm in the UK. My kids are very into outdoor activities, so there's a lot of camping, hiking, etc involved in socializing for them. They do meet friends at bars, but usually in conjunction with a sporting event on TV that they want to watch in that setting. You cannot smoke indoors at the vast majority of bars in the US, so it's not really an issue here.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:33 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
You know you CAN go to a pub and not drink alcohol. It's par for the course in the UK for get-togethers to be held at a pub which for centuries has been the traditional hub of social activity in every town and village. US bars in general just don't have that same ambiance - and Lord knows I've been to thousands! Many pubs also have social events that don't entail standing around the bar swigging a pint. In time you may find your comfort zone changing and get to enjoy then!

Once you settle into your new life you'll find tons of things to do that don't revolve around pub crawling. Have fun!

Old 01-16-2015, 09:53 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
Nope. Many single people are in meetup groups, local sports leagues, running marathons, hiking, camping, going to games, traveling & volunteering. Internet opened many doors & gave access to others who share your interests so you dont have to get stuck with the same friends in a crowded, dark, loud bar every weekend.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:30 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Seems this should be put in the UK thread over at that international subforum.

Quote:

It's par for the course in the UK for get-togethers to be held at a pub which
for centuries has been the traditional hub of social activity in every town and
village.
Sounds like the UK pub is a lot like the German kniepe(sp?) or gasthaus

Old 01-17-2015, 10:19 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Pub, the name is rooted in the word, public, or public house. Yeah, we don't have a lot of public places that are amenable to gatherings other than the local pubs which serve this purpose gladly. Someone wrote about a thing they called "A Third Place", that would be a place that isn't work or home, America doesn't have much to offer other than the Pub. The third place could be a coffee shop, bar, book store, bakery, or community center, the idea has caught on in so many small towns that have a tourist draw but the cities are still devoid of such meeting houses for the most part.

After finding myself single at 62 I realized the plight of older single Americans and their need for a second place now that they were retired. Living in a very small town meant living in a small circle of widowers and the few solo drinkers at the local Tavern. I joined a local fraternal organization just to have a different venue of socialization, they held dances and dinners that gave us oldies a chance to meet and greet.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:41 PM

535 posts, read 515,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post

I’m 27 and it is very rare that I meet someone my age who isn't into drinking and/or smoking. I recently moved to the UK, where everybody (95%) drinks and smokes and I’m definitely not into that kind of “social life”.
Whenever there’s an event or a get together, it has to be at a bar/pub. Am I the only one noticing this? Could it only be happening in my entourage?
Nope, I'm 28 and lived in 3 extremely different US states in the last 5 years and that's just what people do. I don't even think you can say "people our age" either because my bf has a friend from work who's 19 and.. Same thing. My mom and her friends.. Same thing. So boring. :/

Old 01-19-2015, 09:35 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post

Pretty much. Social life in high school has more variety. When you're an adult, "going out" means drinking at a bar or club. That's how people find hookup partners as well.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:06 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Well, you can always go to church services and prey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships