U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 10:38 AM

2,569 posts, read 2,608,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
My gatherings are the same, as are those of my friends - and none of my older friends yatter on about their medical issues either as we have lots of other things to talk about!

Us too!

And this group is made up of people who often go south for the winters for work. So, we are having a tropical party in the frozen north, being envious of people like you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 11:16 AM

8,018 posts, read 6,748,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
a couple definitions before i begin...

close friends = not acquaintances, but people you talk to and hang out with reguarly (like couple times a week at minimum)
a lot younger = 5-10 years younger

i think it's so weird, awkward, and more importantly wasteful when you have close friends that are a lot younger than you. for example, if i'm in college (21) it makes no logical sense to hang out with someone still in middle school. if i'm a young adult (30), it makes no sense to hang out with someone back in college. priorities are different. i think everyone should be close to people 5-10 years OLDER. if i'm 21, i want to hang out with some driven successful young adults. if i'm 30, i want to be close with people who have families and settled

by being close with someone older, you learn and mature and grow.
by being close with someone younger, you become a babysitter or just want to have fun

my opinion, what are yours?
You could've omitted your age and we could still tell how young you are with a post like this.

You should be aware of the gaping hole in your logic.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:37 AM

14,785 posts, read 8,203,105 times
I hear what you're saying unknown00 but it does depend on what age group you're in. I have friends in all age groups from the shorties in my life to people ten years older. They all make my life richer. When I was in my 20's I doubt very much that I'd want to hang out with teenagers and I did gravitate towards older people back then. For almost 30 years my best friend was about 8 years older then I was. Now I tend to gravitate towards people younger then I am because people in my age group can't keep up with me

Old 01-18-2015, 11:46 AM

80,124 posts, read 73,100,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
a couple definitions before i begin...

close friends = not acquaintances, but people you talk to and hang out with reguarly (like couple times a week at minimum)
a lot younger = 5-10 years younger

i think it's so weird, awkward, and more importantly wasteful when you have close friends that are a lot younger than you. for example, if i'm in college (21) it makes no logical sense to hang out with someone still in middle school. if i'm a young adult (30), it makes no sense to hang out with someone back in college. priorities are different. i think everyone should be close to people 5-10 years OLDER. if i'm 21, i want to hang out with some driven successful young adults. if i'm 30, i want to be close with people who have families and settled

by being close with someone older, you learn and mature and grow.
by being close with someone younger, you become a babysitter or just want to have fun

my opinion, what are yours?
People make friendships with others of a wide variety of ages based on common interests and similar levels of intelligence. Bright, creative people are interesting to hang out with no matter what their age.

Why would you want to be close with people who have families just because you're 30? Most 30-year-olds are friends with other singles. If you're 21, typically you're hanging out with college students. Few people are "driven" and successful at 21.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:55 AM

3,396 posts, read 6,264,210 times
I agree that it doesn't matter after a certain age, I'd say around 25 or so. I'm coming up on 50 and have good friends who range from 20 years older to 20 years younger than me.

Last edited by Attrill; 01-18-2015 at 12:17 PM..

Old 01-18-2015, 12:14 PM

3,972 posts, read 2,358,285 times
I find I click with certain people and I don't really pay attention to age. I have friends about 20 years younger than me and some older. It's more about how we get along and our interests than age.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:43 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,747,399 times
I think there are big milestones that take place across a lifetime that may impact age disparate relationships or friendships. I don't see it as "weird" as much as I see it as "challenging". One of my friends has some thing where all his friends are in their 20s. He is in his 40s. He keeps getting more young friends and it's getting to be a little creepy, to be honest. But he's an extreme example.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:37 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,124,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
That's it.

Come by later and join a dinner I'm having. Off the top of my head there will be people here who are 91, 83, 57, 56, 52, 39,36, 29, 28, and 25. And only two are related.
Should I bring dessert?

Old 01-18-2015, 02:37 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,386,501 times
I'm approaching 40 and my wife is early 30s. We won't be having children, yet all my friends from my age group that I grew up with have kids. I used to see them a lot, but anymore they are busy with kid things. I also work in higher ed, and my co-workers are in their late teens to 20s and beyond. Many of the younger folks are totally shocked when I tell them how old I am. I am blessed to look about ten years younger than I am. If something happened to my wife and I ended up single again in my 40s, I definitely could see myself selling our suburban home and living in our downtown area where there is a lot of apartment units being built. While I would still be much older for sure, I can easily see myself hanging out with my 20 something and 30 something co-workers from time to time, though I'm not sure how they would feel about it. I think it would be easier for a single mid 40s person to hangout with single mid 30s people, especially if trying to find someone to date. Ten years for a relationship is about the limit that most people would consider normal.

I think working with younger people, listening to modern music, dressing how they dress, and definitely staying in shape and keeping a youthful look makes it easier to associate with younger generations. Knowing what is in and the language they speak, also helps. I've noticed that many really are OK socially. I think what gets them is that some of us older folks almost don't "act our age" as one likely would have seen historically. The biggest aging of people seems to be having kids as well as getting lazy and out-of-shape. Below that is being stuck in the past, listening to the music you came of age with, not staying constant with clothing trends and current day cultural stuff.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:20 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,404,281 times
Uh uh, sorry. At 48 most of my friends are well on their way to becoming fat old ladies who never want to go do anything active. As I am fighting tooth and nail to not become one myself, I have younger friends. Friends who like to go camping and hiking and canoeing, etc. with me. Benefits them in that I have all the gear. Benifits me in having active friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or