Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 05:15 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,381 times

Advertisements

Age isn't as important as "stage." I think there are shorter life stages when you're young (like preschool-elementary-middle school-HS-college). Afterwards, the stages are mostly adult, then elderly. College-aged adults shouldn't hang out with middle school kids. A 38 year old socializing with college-aged adults would probably be an odd relationship. But a 27 year old can usually hang out with a 40 year old and relate just fine, other than some childhood differences. Especially when young parents are befriending older parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 09:46 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,160 times
I am in my mid 40s, married, have kids. One of my closest friends is 20 years younger than I am, is married, has kids. We have similar interests & personalities. Another friend us my age, never been married, no kids. We Have few interests in common. Our personalities are worlds apart. Guess which friend I'm drifting from? It's not about me wanting to be younger! It's about how much we enjoy spending time together. I'm very careful not to take on a motherly role. We are equals in our friendship. Incidentally, we didn't know how far apart we were age-wise until we were talking about movies once & I sais I saw the original Star Wars in the theater. It was a funny realization--we both thought we were much closer in age. It simply doesn't matter.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:33 PM

103 posts, read 100,660 times
People who are really! intellectual regularly don't hang out with people who are a lot younger than them (if it's not compulsory), even though they are so young.. Because olders mostly have experience in comparison with youngers...

Last edited by wannaskedaddle; 01-24-2015 at 04:06 PM..

Old 01-24-2015, 03:55 PM

838 posts, read 1,352,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaskedaddle View Post
People who are really! intellectual regularly doesn't hang out with people who are a lot younger than them (if it's not compulsory), even though they are so young.. Because olders mostly have experience in comparison with youngers...
I can barely comprehend what you wrote here. Tell me if I translated this correctly. Are you saying that people who are intelligent don't hang out with people younger than them because they have more life experience?

Just because you're older doesn't mean you have more experience in life.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:11 PM

103 posts, read 100,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
I can barely comprehend what you wrote here. Tell me if I translated this correctly. Are you saying that people who are intelligent don't hang out with people younger than them because they have more life experience?

Just because you're older doesn't mean you have more experience in life.
Yeah it's, But I haven't referred being intelligent that's intellectual(smart,highbrow and sophisticated)

Old 01-26-2015, 10:14 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,168 times
When I was 10, my 34 y/o mother had a best friend who was a little younger than her mother (about 60). Once you're an adult, it doesn't seem to matter so much how old your friends are as long as you have things in common.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:55 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
a couple definitions before i begin...

close friends = not acquaintances, but people you talk to and hang out with reguarly (like couple times a week at minimum)
a lot younger = 5-10 years younger

i think it's so weird, awkward, and more importantly wasteful when you have close friends that are a lot younger than you. for example, if i'm in college (21) it makes no logical sense to hang out with someone still in middle school. if i'm a young adult (30), it makes no sense to hang out with someone back in college. priorities are different. i think everyone should be close to people 5-10 years OLDER. if i'm 21, i want to hang out with some driven successful young adults. if i'm 30, i want to be close with people who have families and settled

by being close with someone older, you learn and mature and grow.
by being close with someone younger, you become a babysitter or just want to have fun

my opinion, what are yours?
My viewpoint: if a person has friends (closely associates with) someone who is old enough to be their parent or young enough to be their kid, it's beyond strange. Other than that, I think people should primarily associate within their peer group- and peer groups are individuals around one's own age. However, I think your way of looking at it makes sense, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships