Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 08:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well then, they know who they are.....
Somehow I don't think so ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 08:25 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
the wait staff asking if you want change back seems a very petty thing to get upset at.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:27 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right category, but it seems to be the only one close. Anyway.....

Last night, I again had something happen to me that seems to be becoming a common occurrence. I had dinner at a Mexican restaurant. The "waitress" took my order, but someone else brought my meal and beverage (including refill) to the table. The "waitress" was nowhere to be found until she came by with my check. Then, to add to her already poor service, when I handed her a twenty for a $14 check, she asked if I wanted change!!!!! (I'm going to give her a $6 tip for a $14 meal which she never even checked on????)

Sorry.....but if you ask for a tip, you don't get one.

I usually tip 20% without thinking about it. In this case, I may have tipped less, because she was a terrible server. However, when she asked for a tip, she automatically removed any chance she had of getting one.

I have had people ask for tips as waitresses, delivering food, and at the car wash. Do people really think that this benefits them?????

Has anyone else encountered this?
This tipping thing is INSULTING. We refuse to eat out because of it. I am going out to have a meal, not pay someone else's bills too. I have my own already. Restaurant owners need to band together and stop this horrible practice. Hair salons should be next. THAT IS THEIR JOB! They need to be PAID for it, not dig their hands further down my wallet.

I applaud this restaurant for understanding and moving with the times. People cannot live on $2 bucks an hour, and be at the mercy of customers who are not paid 6 figures either.
Pittsburgh Restaurant Bans Tips, Will Pay Servers A Livable Salary Instead

Tipping needs to END.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:30 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I love it when someone reps you with a disagreement of your post

Old 01-25-2015, 08:39 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspectguy View Post
I've read most of the pages here and wow, I'm surprised at the responses and that people actually speak to the manager when this happens. It would take a lot more than that for me to seek out their boss.

Tipping isn't a reward or some grand gesture that provides extra play money, it's customary and expected, and their income. Servers are absolutely correct to expect a tip, because, for better or worse, that's just how it works in our society.

Most of us are probably in hourly/salaried jobs. We are not on top of our game every day, and the days we "just get by", well, we still get paid in full for the day. These folks don't have that luxury, and given how I've seen some customers behave, I have no idea how some of these servers even manage to crack a smile at times. This isn't even just at restaurants, but at places like Starbucks where people can hold up a line by making a simple coffee order the most complicated part of their day with ridiculous questions and unreasonable demands.

Anyway, so she was asking if the change was her tip, no big deal, reasonable question. Either yes or no, get on with my day.
logical and thoughtful post, thank you

Old 01-25-2015, 08:40 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I love it when someone reps you with a disagreement of your post
that happened to me, they are not supposed to, and if you report it, it will be dealt with.....and you should, as there is way to much negativity and bullying going on, matter of fact, so much so, I notices I've also copped an attitude.....

Old 01-25-2015, 08:46 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I agree. It is as simple as that. No need to get the scrunchies OP!
Hahaha repped for scrunchies!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:48 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The only light that will go on is that you stiffed them regarding a tip.

They do not know WHY you left no tip unless you TELL someone!
Mind reading is not common.

Keep silent... and you are just a cheap old man....
I pay with CC. If I am unhappy enough to put an X in the tip box they KNOW before even bringing the check. ( Very seldom but it has happened)

Old 01-25-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
It's not a simple question, it was asking to keep the rest of the money as a tip, because honestly that is what it is. It's just being lazy is what it is. I don't feel the server maybe even knew what bill was put into the bill folder, it was that the server didn't want to *************WORK AS HARD AS SHE COULD FOR HER MONEY BY *************************************EARNING THAT TIP DOING THE FULL JOB*********************** as the job is (**********SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE*****************).

A simple question is "Would you like dessert", not "Can I keep the rest of your change for my tip please" is just another way of saying what was said to the OP.
Sorry, but I don't read posts from hysterical people who can't speak reasonably without a ton of CAPS and *************************. Just a little friendly advice. If your words are meaningful, they'll speak for themselves. As it is, I can't even see them through the screaming and don't intend to waste my time trying.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Sooooooooooooo, Springs1........... 19 straight posts on the subject of tipping. Lots of capital letters, and duhhs to other posters......... I guess you've got it out of your system now, huh? Feel better?

If anything shows clearly how the tipping system in America is nuts, this thread proves it.
Dang, won't let me rep you again. Accept a handy instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships