Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 11:25 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,612,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
It's not a simple question, it was asking to keep the rest of the money as a tip, because honestly that is what it is. It's just being lazy is what it is. I don't feel the server maybe even knew what bill was put into the bill folder, it was that the server didn't want to *************WORK AS HARD AS SHE COULD FOR HER MONEY BY *************************************EARNING THAT TIP DOING THE FULL JOB*********************** as the job is (**********SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE*****************).

A simple question is "Would you like dessert", not "Can I keep the rest of your change for my tip please" is just another way of saying what was said to the OP.
Springs1, I think you need to have your keyboard checked, the asterisk key '*' is sticking terribly.

You're welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 11:38 AM

16,011 posts, read 21,025,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I'll bet all those minimum wage workers who think nothing of going out to dinner at least once or twice a week are not dining all that often at the joints where the wait staff makes several hundred a night in tips.
No, I wasn't talking about high end places, I doubt they'd see much of a change. I meant more like Ihop, Applebees, etc. Bet your bottom dollar the chains would pass every bit of cost on to their customers and I do think that for a lot of their customers an increase of a couple of bucks for each meal would make a difference.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:45 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,122,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No, I wasn't talking about high end places, I doubt they'd see much of a change. I meant more like Ihop, Applebees, etc. Bet your bottom dollar the chains would pass every bit of cost on to their customers and I do think that for a lot of their customers an increase of a couple of bucks for each meal would make a difference.
Yeah, but if it's understood that a tip is not required, it ends up costing the same in the end- probably even less for some people, if they would have tipped more generously.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
You do realize that if restaurants actually pay their servers the wages they deserve, they'd be foolish to jack up the prices. If dining out becomes unaffordable for the average patron, then restaurants will lose business. I would be willing to pay a little more if that would mean better wages for the server... I just wish I can go out and not have to worry about calculating a server's tip.
Most restaurants have a very thin margin of profit. I would have to say that a 15% drop in revenue due to paying the staff for the lost tips, without raising prices or lowering other costs, would result in at least 75% of all restaurants closing.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I don't believe individual meals would go up in price as much as now plus the tip. Say two customers have a $20 meal each. 20% tip for the two would be $8. How many such couples would a server deal with per hour? It wouldn't cost management anything like that sort of money to pay proper wages. Meal cost would rise, but not as much as now plus tip.

The real problem would be recruiting good staff. I would imagine many servers only put up with a job with sometimes difficult people to deal with because, they earn far more with tips, than an employer would pay them. Probably a little over minimum wage. I guess this is why, for all the talk of being 'stiffed' by some customers, and taxes on tips, servers earn good money, well above what an employer would pay.

The real question is, with many Americans earning lower wages than in the past, why are servers deserving of as some have talked about here, an average of $25 per hour for putting a plate of food in front of you, and may be a drink, then clearing away? All well and good when most Americans are earning good money. But in this age of Macjobs replacing well paid employment, why are low paid workers having to give tips to folks earning more than they themselves are?
The problem is that YOU consider a 'proper wage' to be LESS than what they can make now. How is that supposed to be fair to anyone but you?

Old 01-26-2015, 12:18 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,510,458 times
I have had some waiters and waitress' ask me that question and my first thought was, really, are you going to go fishing for a tip?

I think it's unprofessional.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:03 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,403,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
The problem is that YOU consider a 'proper wage' to be LESS than what they can make now. How is that supposed to be fair to anyone but you?
Well, it depends if you think putting a plate of food in front of you is worth $25 an hour. The real problem is many patrons are earning less than the so called underpaid serving staff. You know as well as I do, most serving staff, for all their complaints about being stiffed, and taxed tips, like things just the way they are.

Plus of course, many folks here like to tell us how generous they are with tips. 50% anyone?

Old 01-26-2015, 01:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,870,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Don't be naive. She knew what the table amount was and she was hoping to put him on the spot and rather than look cheap he would just say no. They teach servers this and if he said yes she would have brought him back six $1's.
I was a waiter in school and learned to say "I'll be back with this" rather than ask if they wanted change. We used the black folding books which held the bill and their form of payment. I never looked into it at the table as it could be a CC or cash. I'll be back wih this refers to change or a pen and receipt. I was often told to "Keep it". Not being pushy landed me big tips.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:27 PM

22,350 posts, read 11,881,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Most restaurants have a very thin margin of profit. I would have to say that a 15% drop in revenue due to paying the staff for the lost tips, without raising prices or lowering other costs, would result in at least 75% of all restaurants closing.
Thank you for posting this! I was about to post the same thing.

All these people who don't think the cost of meals won't go up much if servers received a straight salary and no tips, need to watch "Restaurant Impossible" --- they will get an education on what it takes to run a successful restaurant.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:09 PM

3,977 posts, read 4,999,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
really? you find a server asking if you want "your" change back as rude? it ruins a meal? for heaven's sakes your meal can get ruined from such a small statement I would say you are way too sensitive. again I find it petty.
I agree with that poster - not that it ruins my meal - but that they're making a huge assumption about what to do with YOUR money. It's not that it's .31 cents...it could be any amount. However, I like to make up my own mind about what kind of tip I leave and when I deserve change back, I better well get it. Assuming that no one wants any change back is a terrible assumption and it's likely that their tip won't be as generous.

Has everyone forgotten what TIPS stands for? To Insure Prompt Service - and I can promise you, that doesn't include stiffing me on my change. BTW, I usually tip 20% - sometimes when the service is super sucky, I'll tip 15%, but that's usually because I know there are usually a team of people who receive that and just one person shouldn't ruin for all the servers. But hey, JMO...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships