Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 05:09 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
gouligann I agree with a waitress saying "I'll be right back with your change" That is a simple statement and it gives the patron the oportunity to say ok thanks, or no, you keep the change. Just assuming the change is a tip is unacceptable, and shows that she wasn't trained properly by the management.
guess you didn't read other posts, establishments today "ARE" Training their wait staff to do so, so they can get the people in and out quickly. No one is assuming anything, it is the establishments rules....some don't do it and frown upon doing so, but places like the Olive Garden, TGIF Fridays, etc...ARE doing it.

Quote:
She especially disliked serving a table with 10 or 12 people where one person took care of the check. All those meals, drinks and extras, and she often received just a $20-$30 tip for the whole table. That is shameful and just not acceptable when they were spending somewhere around $800-$1000 for the meal and she ran her feet off. She was an excellent waitress by the way... very polite and very attentative. The managers wouldn't have expected or accepted any less from their wait staff
That is why a lot of higher end restaurants tack the tip onto the bill automatically, b/c to wait a table that large and give them good service, they have to put more people on....and a few other wait staff helps bring out the food, clear the table, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
You're missing the point of Miss Hepburn's post. She was saying the waitress probably wasn't even paying attention to how much it was. So in that case, she wouldn't be making an assumption, she was simply asking a question, do you want your change? So she can figure out if that's one less thing she has to do in her busy day.

some people are so irritable and unthinking....it saves a heck of a lot of time, now that table is done, and onto the next...sheesh....doesn't take an educated monkey to figure that one out?

Old 01-23-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
No one is "seeking out the tiniest reason to screw the poor man or woman out of a night's pay"!!!!!

It is a matter of protocol......simple manners. You never should ask for a tip. You should earn it. Do a good job, and you will be well awarded!
I'm gonna say this again...
PLEASE READ
it isn't the waitresses fault, they are trying to turn over tables as fast as they can....a whole lot of establishments are training their wait staff do say that, b/c they want you out of there and need that table.

If you don't believe me, the next time you go in, ask them what their protocol is for training?

or

come on here and complain.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:31 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Okay, we get it, but either way (if the server is doing it on their own, or if the business tells them to ask if we want our change) I still don't like it being done that way. I also do not like restaurants that automatically put the tip on the amount I owe. It is too easy to miss it and double tip, plus, I usually tip a little more than they are adding on, so I have to recalculate the amount I am paying.

Just this week I went to the restaurant by my work for lunch and when I looked at my bill they had an extra charge of "service fee" on there. When I asked what it was, they said they had inadvertently put that on there as it is a charge for take out orders (I was eating in) so I had them redo the bill. It wasn't the money, but I wasn't going to pay for something I didn't get.

Bottom line is, we need to always look at the check they lay on our table to make sure it is right, most times we blindly pay it and go on our way.

Don

Old 01-23-2015, 05:35 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Okay, we get it, but either way (if the server is doing it on their own, or if the business tells them to ask if we want our change) I still don't like it being done that way.
I agree and I'm not sure why the previous poster is making such a song and dance about it. The OP presented a simple observation, asked a simple and very valid question and ends up being chastised because of it.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I agree and I'm not sure why the previous poster is making such a song and dance about it. The OP presented a simple observation, asked a simple and very valid question and ends up being chastised because of it.
because I was a waitress in the summer of my years...and understand the food service and wait staff and I'm simply trying to let him and others know, that it isn't always the fault of the wait staff....
Like I said before, and seriously, if your paying for a meal...and your displeased, then stop on your way out, when you pay the bill and ask to speak to the hostess or manager, and simply explain to them how you feel....I know some chains used to have, (don't know if they have them now) cards with questions on them, or, what you could do, is after you pay your bill, leave a note saying why you were displeased....

I don't get why so many people will sit there and be so dissatisfied with either the wait staff, the food, or whatever, and grumble about it, and then not say anything. If your food is bad, send it back, please....no one will critizise you for it. your paying for a service and you deserve to be happy....

Old 01-23-2015, 06:14 AM

I'm going to offer something very positive that I have notices of late.

When my friends and I go to chains for dinner on Friday nites....I've noted the following and even said out loud, "Wow, this establishment has really trained their people well".

1. Waitress comes to bring ask you for drinks
2. Someone else brings your drinks
3. Waitress then comes and takes your order
4. Bus boy brings out your bread and crackers
5. Waitress brings your soup and salad
6. Bus boy comes by and fills your water or drink glasses
7. Waitress and bus boy and another wait staff brings out your trays of food
8. Someone else comes by and asks if everything is all right or if you need anything.
9. Someone comes to clear your table and says, your waitress will be here soon to take dessert and coffee order
10. Waitress comes and takes your dessert order
11. someone brings your coffee, waitress brings your dessert or not
12. Waitress brings you bill and asks, "would you like change". So the Bill might have been $17.65 and I say, yeah, keep the change, which avoids her having to take the bill up to the cash register, and bring back the change and I throw a couple of bills on the table for her tip. Easy peasy.

Now, I'm betting they all pool their tips in that establishment, b/c everyone had a part in helping to not only make your evening successful, but to move you thru quicker so they can have that table. And I smile and think to myself..."boy they really train their staff well as I was very pleased".

They made me feel special and like they were truly concerned about my time there being a fun evening.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:50 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't get why so many people will sit there and be so dissatisfied
Can't give you more reps for your sensible posts...and people like yourself shouldn't have to
'get' why there are people that like to steam in their own juices about such things making
them so important.

This is not a place for us.
There are those that will continue with their road rage and expect the 'world' to be
as they think it 'should' be;
thinking 'that then' will bring them peace of mind.

We know that peace of mind comes from within and know to flow with the externals...
-the people that don't use turn signals (how dare they!),
-those that are imperfect waiters as they work on their college studies, (how dare they!),
-those that don't hold the door for us (how dare they!)
We know it doesn't matter in the end....peace is our priority...not these little quirks or
even mistakes of others who like ourselves are imperfect.

You and I know we are not the center of the Universe and we have learned to cope with
an imperfect world, thank God...leaving our tips and spreading kindness...
and yes, even to waitstaff that are preoccupied with their own issues of the day.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:20 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Yes, but it is confusing to the customer/consumer. I've been in these situations with multiple people coming to the table. At the end I am like: who the f&*k do I tip? Maybe the guy re-filling the drink was more attentive yet the person bringing the meal was cool too. The person taking the order disappeared, etc.

With a hair salon, the roles are clearly defined. I know who cut my hair at the end.
Or you can take the simple route. Calculate your tip and leave it on the table like everyone else does.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:32 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Because the OP didn't ask a simple question, it was a rant with lots of !!!!'s and ????'s and the admission that he stiffed the waitress on her tip because SHE asked a simple question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships