Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:11 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times

Advertisements

You're making a very reasonable financial case for having a roommate and that's a good move to save money.

You may need to read between the lines with your mother however - maybe she thinks you're never going to want to settle down and get married? Or that you'll have a tougher time getting a girlfriend if you have a roommate (and yes, you might!). Do you have older (or even younger!) siblings who are already married? Does your mother really, really want grandkids?

I'm not saying you should change what you're doing - but if she's thinking along these lines at least you can understand her concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 09:11 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Tell her you'll get gladly rid of your roommate if she'll pay his half of the rent.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:12 AM

698 posts, read 797,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Just to preface this, I'm a 27 year old male and currently make very good money. Since leaving for college, I have always had roommates either in college or out in the real world. If I stretched myself, I could afford to live by myself; however, I'm currently in a very happy state just having one roommate at a time. After college, I've generally had one roommate in a 2 BR/2 BA housing situation where we each get our own bathroom and decent sized room. To add to that, I get along with each of them, some have become friends.

Simply put, I just don't attach that much value and utility to living completely by myself. Sure, I would LOVE to live by myself, but I like limiting my housing payments to 25% of my after tax income to enjoy doing things I love and to save money. Plus, having a roommate lets me live in the cool part of town without killing myself financially. Again, I have my own bathroom and bedroom, and good location, so I just see myself as being in a good spot.

I have a great mom, but she keeps obsessing over the fact that I have a roommate: she thinks it's bizarre for a 27 year old man to live with another guy. Even today she said "are you just going to live with another guy for the rest of your life? Time to grow up" FYI I've had female roommates too. It really bothers me that she says this because I feel like a 27 year old with a CPA license, working for a Fortune 500 company, NO DEBT except for a car loan with a 1.9% interest rate is "grown up" but apparently that's not good enough.

I've expressed to her that times are different for my generation but she really harps on this roommate thing a lot and how weird and juvenile it is. I'm even looking at making my first home purchase, but if I get a 3 bedroom place, I intend on renting one room out. I'm not ready to live with the girl I'm dating: we've only been dating 3 months. I just don't want to be paying 1/2 my income just to live by myself because I don't attach that much utility to living by myself: I grew up with a brother, had roommates in college, and had them after college...I'm just used to it.

I know this is an extremely minor issue, but does anyone have any advice on how I should approach her and explain to her how times are different, why having a roommate is a fiscally sound decision and that it's quite normal for my age group to have a roommate? I want to drive the point home without being disrespectful.
You should tell her you are not going to engage in her rudeness again. She is obviously jealous of you and this is all she has. Something is very wrong here, very wrong. No matter how nice you are, there is some resentment that she harbours you need to address. Hence why she keep harping on it. But be prepared after it is addressed, lest she continue the resentment unless it's dealt with

And eliminate. Good luck, sorry this is happening. I'd be proud to have you as a son. There is no clause which says you are not a grown up becuase you live with roommates versus your family. She's a bit out there

Old 01-25-2015, 11:18 AM

698 posts, read 797,710 times
Don't tell Mom how her belittling makes you feel, it is intended to do that. So you're notifying her she is succeeding in her goal. And that is giving her some kind of satisfaction she doesn't deserve. Of course she knows you don't like it. And That's feeding a troll

Instead either find something to belittle her back with, and ALWAYS come up with that, or let it go. Or address her resentment of you and jealousy directly.

Always belittle her back, something about her appearance should work well. It might happen twice but it will stop. This is so sad, and shouldn't happen. I can't imagine telling my 23 year old son he isn't a grown up, or even trying to indicate such. Wow

Old 01-25-2015, 11:28 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Has your mom met your girlfriend? If not, you should set up some informal meeting so your mom doesn't jump to sexual preference conclusions.

Kudos to you for being so well grounded. Your future wife is a lucky woman, whoever she is.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:45 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
It sounds like your mom is wanting you to get married and have babies

Old 01-25-2015, 01:44 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Just to preface this, I'm a 27 year old male and currently make very good money. Since leaving for college, I have always had roommates either in college or out in the real world. If I stretched myself, I could afford to live by myself; however, I'm currently in a very happy state just having one roommate at a time. After college, I've generally had one roommate in a 2 BR/2 BA housing situation where we each get our own bathroom and decent sized room. To add to that, I get along with each of them, some have become friends.

Simply put, I just don't attach that much value and utility to living completely by myself. Sure, I would LOVE to live by myself, but I like limiting my housing payments to 25% of my after tax income to enjoy doing things I love and to save money. Plus, having a roommate lets me live in the cool part of town without killing myself financially. Again, I have my own bathroom and bedroom, and good location, so I just see myself as being in a good spot.

I have a great mom, but she keeps obsessing over the fact that I have a roommate: she thinks it's bizarre for a 27 year old man to live with another guy. Even today she said "are you just going to live with another guy for the rest of your life? Time to grow up" FYI I've had female roommates too. It really bothers me that she says this because I feel like a 27 year old with a CPA license, working for a Fortune 500 company, NO DEBT except for a car loan with a 1.9% interest rate is "grown up" but apparently that's not good enough.

I've expressed to her that times are different for my generation but she really harps on this roommate thing a lot and how weird and juvenile it is. I'm even looking at making my first home purchase, but if I get a 3 bedroom place, I intend on renting one room out. I'm not ready to live with the girl I'm dating: we've only been dating 3 months. I just don't want to be paying 1/2 my income just to live by myself because I don't attach that much utility to living by myself: I grew up with a brother, had roommates in college, and had them after college...I'm just used to it.

I know this is an extremely minor issue, but does anyone have any advice on how I should approach her and explain to her how times are different, why having a roommate is a fiscally sound decision and that it's quite normal for my age group to have a roommate? I want to drive the point home without being disrespectful.
It sounds to me that you have a sensible approach to your life, and that it works for you. And, in my opinion, that's all you should have to say to your mother.

Also, while it might be odd for someone to have roommates if they're in their forties or so, the only reasons I'd figure younger people shouldn't is if they're married or have kids. I believe married couples and people (couples or individuals) with kids should have their own households.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:46 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
You're 27? Ignore her.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:49 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It sounds like your mom is wanting you to get married and have babies
Or she is afraid if other conclusions "people" might draw from his living situation.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:55 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Or she is afraid if other conclusions "people" might draw from his living situation.

heh- when I first moved out on my own, I shared a house with 4 guys. My mother was not pleased with the situation. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships