Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:55 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I don't work, but I've got a fairly busy schedule with my kids' schoolwork, exercise, and my parents. My dad has dementia and he's too unpredictable to be around a kid who isn't family, but it's really important to both of my parents that they can come visit a couple times a week, because there aren't many places where my dad can go anymore. I would tell my neighbor that's why I can't pick his kid up every day, but it's kind of awkward when he hasn't even asked me. I feel like if I say it can't be an everyday thing, he'll say he wasn't planning on that, just a few days until he gets childcare arrangements made, but if I don't say anything, he'll figure that I am the childcare arrangements.
I don't feel like you need to give them any explanation. You don't need to explain "why" you can't take care of his child.
"I'm sorry it is just not going to work for me to take care of your child" Period.

I was a stay at home Mom for 17 years. I could only be responsible for my own three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 12:56 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
I don't understand why you would agree to provide daycare without asking for compensation. Is your time completely without value?

Old 01-28-2015, 03:06 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
I took my ID to the school, and I had both of the parents' phone numbers. I was expecting to have trouble picking him up because I hadn't ever met his teacher and hadn't had kids at that school for a couple of years now. But I walked up to the area where they keep the kindergarteners, told the teacher who I was looking for, the little guy (who I didn't recognize because he had a big jacket with a hood) started bouncing up and down, and the teacher said, "Have a good weekend!" and that was it. She didn't ask for my name to check against a note from the parents or send me to the office to verify that I was supposed to pick him up or anything.

I was surprised at how easy it was to pick up someone else's kid from the school without showing identification or even giving my name.
That would never, ever happen at the schools where I worked.

Often teachers would require the person picking up a child, even after the parent sent a note, to verify their identity with their driver's licence (if they had not previously met the person).

One school even required a child's own parent to sign as they picked up their 4-K student every single day.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:23 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Dealing with neighbor kids is tricky. I haven't had this particular problem, but I have had neighbors/their kids with no boundaries. I haven't found a solution that wouldn't potentially cause problems in the future. I've tried avoidance and maintaining politeness where you don't answer the phone or texts. The parents just physically hunt you down anyway and there you are stuck with them and their kid again. If you say 'no' to something, the parents want a reason and if you just give a polite excuse, there they are again. It gets icky. I think you are just going to have to be pretty blunt about it and say they are affecting your family dynamics.
Thats sad you have no control over your own boundaries. "No I cant" means just that. No one can force you to take their kid. Its not their problem, its yours.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:31 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
That would never, ever happen at the schools where I worked.

Often teachers would require the person picking up a child, even after the parent sent a note, to verify their identity with their driver's licence (if they had not previously met the person).
This ^ precisely, at our schools.

OP, I agree with many of the others.... a one-time, in-person talk with both parents is necessary. Honestly, after the first occasion, you should have told them no on the second ask, even if you were available, as the second ask happening so quickly after the first was their way of confirming the ease with which they are able to take advantage of your generosity.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:11 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
First and foremost, I feel sorry for that poor little kindergarten kid never knowing who or if anyone is going to pick him up from school.

OP, I can understand the why and I don't envy the envy the position you're in. You sound like a very nice, generous person but you know they're taking advantage of your goodnaturedness. I think you're really going to have to talk to the parents and impress upon them that their child needs reliable childcare, and you aren't available. Not answering the phone or ignoring their texts would make them get the hint eventually, but the bottom line is there's still a little kindergarten kid who needs to get home. I understand the other posters who say that it's not your kid, not your problem but for me, personally, I would feel terrible if I knew the kid had no way of getting home. He shouldn't be used as a pawn.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:24 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
I walked. When my kids went to that school, we rode our bikes there and back, but the neighbor's son doesn't have a bike. It's a short walk through the neighborhood, so not a big deal unless the weather is bad.

The neighbor texted to ask about today while I was typing my original post and I told him that today my daughter has a lesson (she goes to online school, but they have some scheduled webcam lessons with their teachers) that she can't miss, and that I don't leave my kids home alone.
First....You offered, and most folks would know that you meant occasionally....But folks that take advantage, like these folks are doing, wear a person out with favors.

I can well imagine, because it worked on you....They are sitting and planning their week around free daycare...."Mom can take him today....I'll just text Ms Hedghog for Tues....She won't mind".

I would stop with the explanations....You do not owe them any explanations....It contributes to them taking advantage. Just say, No....I am not available....end of conversation.

I think there is more to this then you have said in the OP......Are these folks your kids friends parents, or live next door....for some reason you feel a strong obligation, and cannot say No.

In fact...I think if you really want to nip this in the bud....Take an itemized bill over to them for daycare you've already provided...They will stop calling, I could guarantee...lol

EDIT....I read the whole thread....Quite interesting ideas and responses. The common suggestion was to talk to them..Simply tell them that your original offer was meant as a gesture of neighborliness. Say that you had no idea they would need you every day. And, while you were a good sport about helping them this past week. ...that you, as a busy Mom, and caregiver to your parents simply are not available for routine daycare services. Ha,Ha....Maybe text that to them after work....

Last edited by JanND; 01-28-2015 at 07:06 PM..

Old 01-28-2015, 08:46 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Just say no. Don't answer the phone when they call. Don't respond to their texts.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:05 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Best to just be unavailable. Don't answer his calls, and if he texts you, respond too late. They'll figure out that they need to pay someone for reliable aftercare.

If you didn't have the demented aged parent to care for, you could open an aftercare paying playdate type of business. But I could see how it could be scary for little kids to be around certain types of advanced dementia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships