Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 10:21 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,639,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Anyway, an open house is really not a party for friends. A party depends upon interaction around a common theme, not someone showing up to grab a sandwich and a beer on the way to another open house.
I disagree. It's perfect for a day like New Year's day where people may want to sleep in, or have other places to go, and not know their schedule in advance. I have never heard that it is "not a party for friends." My parents did it almost every year from 1970-2000 with great success and I did it for about 5 years too. We invited maybe 30-40 people and almost everyone would drop in at some point.

Maybe it's a southern thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 04:56 PM

698 posts, read 794,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
maybe it was the three hours of nonstop hokey-pokey?
lol!!

Old 01-30-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
No offense but people could really stop reading after this little introductory nugget.
yep and they could not read it at all...what a concept

Old 01-30-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
I lol'd!

Maybe I missed it but what is a yankee swap?
A yankee swap is when they swap their pets

Old 01-30-2015, 05:23 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,029,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal1 View Post
A yankee swap is when they swap their pets
No it's not. Previous posters got it right, despite their drinking.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:34 PM

677 posts, read 669,757 times
THIS is a Yankee swap:

NEW YORK YANKEES: Why The Bizarre Story Of Two Yankees Who Swapped Families Could Never Happen Today - Business Insider

LOL!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
No it's not. Previous posters got it right, despite their drinking.
alright

Old 01-30-2015, 08:47 PM

12,667 posts, read 8,895,561 times
Quote:
...over 6 hours it's no big deal.)
6 HOURS? For a party? With kids activities as well? Man, that's not a party; that's torture.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:04 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,126,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I disagree. Changing the party to suit the guests when this has apparently become a nice "tradition" for all and simply because the guys didn't show up wouldn't be my solution.

What I would do is nicely address the no-shows next year by making a point to politely ask everyone to respond to the invitation and let you know exactly who's planning to attend. It's a shame to have to resort to reminding people about common manners but I'd be rather put out too if I'd made preparations to accommodate all genders and ages, only to have a bunch not show up. I'd just point out, as briefly and as diplomatically as humanly possible, that - as always - you want to make sure that everyone has enough to eat and drink and that there's neither shortage nor waste.
I think that is already the problem....Too much is expected, obvious by the hosts upset....I think a party should be fun, not mandatory....and if you are making folks feel obligated....to the point they're choosing avoidance, rather than declining...It's time to switch gears.

Perhaps one of the other's should take up the "tradition" ....Or, you should host a couple of random pot luck dinners with fewer quests.

And, many folks simply do not want a drinking party and a kids party combo....You did mention only the men didn't show up.....Do a poker night, just guys, or a couples party....or do a family party. And, switch it up....

Old 01-30-2015, 09:11 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,126,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Who knows? Maybe it's too crowded, too noisy or too much organized activity. As an adult, I've never appreciated being pressured into participating in games and activities I had no interest in. NFL playoff games and NCAA playoffs and bowls take up about five days a week in January, maybe you just missed part of the schedule. Maybe one or two of the people at the party have been intolerable boors so the easy way to avoid them is to stay home.

And maybe there's a certain egotism to be avoided in someone who is more concerned about the people who chose to stay home than the guests who came. Certainly I'd have a lot more interest in attending a party where someone other than the host made a point of telling the world that he and his wife know how to host!
Yes...I have to agree. There does seem to be an air of "holding court" threaded in the OP's posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships