Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:21 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

...being self-aware is not the same as having a positive self image..and your reaction to compliments makes me think you're not that confident in yourself.

Just say "thank you" and really try to take the compliment at face value.

I disagree with others saying to give a compliment back - that can seem forced and insincere...it also puts YOU on the spot to come up with something when it's not necessary. Maybe you can say something later or on a different occasion, but don't be fake, just nice. "Thank you" is all you really need to say but you really need to or you won't keep getting compliments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 12:01 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Compliments can be a sure route to slavery! Avoid them at all possible! Do you want to become a slave to that person, or anyone?

"Gee! That was the best sex I've ever had with any woman! I can't wait to see you again!"

Now if that compliment doesn't put you in a stressful spot!!! Next time, you may worry: will I be as good the next time? And if not? Will I lose him?

No matter what compliment: you have a great body! you have a great smile! you're so intelligent! you're so witty and you always make me laugh!, compliments can add a lot of stress to your life!

I hate it, when at work, someone says: you're the best worker in this place! And then? I have to continue to live up that compliment, even when I get lazy and I want to take a one-day vacation from being the best worker!

As they say in the Far East: you want to enslave someone, compliment them!

And, please, for God's sakes, don't compliment me on this post, or I'll curse you to your grave!

Old 01-30-2015, 12:46 AM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Take them like a man... LOL.. cause trust me,the ones about your looks will shortly subside.... long story short, be thankful and say as much.........

Old 01-30-2015, 01:04 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,633 times
They make me feel awkward as well. People usually never compliment me ever. Whenever a woman says I'm cute I just look at her like "What's wrong with you? There are other guys who are better than me".

Old 01-30-2015, 11:06 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
How about starting with: "Thank you, that's very nice of you to say".
that is what I was taught as well. You thank them and return the compliment. It was nice of them to take the time to notice and compliment you.

Basic charm school.... had its place I guess.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:32 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyga View Post
I've always had this weird little "quirk" (I guess?) about me. I cannot receive a compliment to save my life. It's nothing to do with my self-image. I'm pretty self aware. I've had this particularly problem with boyfriends before.

They would compliment me and I would either laugh it off or completely ignore it. I don't know what it is, but compliments just aren't my thing. I don't know how to respond to them, I guess. A friend once suggested I compliment them back, but I would just end up scrambling to come up with something to say and it would sound totally insincere, so I stopped that.

So problem is that often people get the impression that I'm arrogant and ungrateful, because I don't necessarily "take" their compliment, or that I have some self-worth issues. Neither are true, I just hate being put in the spot. I mean, I've said thank you, but it makes things completely awkward for me. I just don't know the proper way to respond to them.

Moreover, I've had a boyfriend whine about the fact that I never "compliment" him and I don't really know how to feel about that because receiving them makes me uncomfortable so I've never bothered with giving them.

So I guess my question is how do I stop coming across as "ungrateful" or rude when receiving compliments and how do I stop myself for being so awkward about them? Are there other people who feel uncomfortable by compliments?
1. Remove your profile pic because everyone is going to compliment you.

2. Compliments only make me uncomfortable if I feel like the person is being insincere.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
How about smiling and saying, "Thank you"? It's really not that hard to do. Because when someone puts themselves out there to offer a sincere compliment, nothing is worse than to get no response.
Almost always simply saying, "thanks" or "thank you" is sufficient. Sometimes if someone is giving you credit for something you shouldn't get credit for, you can give credit to the person responsible. If someone goes on and on about something, it is acceptable to say, "really I enjoyed doing this" or "It was a pleasure to do this".

I have the same problem. I have to remind myself to say thank you and be done with it.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:18 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Your eyes are like glimmering pools of water, glistening in the morning light.

How do you feel? Do you hate me?

Maybe you can practice giving compliments...I'll volunteer. OK, go.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:24 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
Just say "yeah, I know"....and keep the convo moving.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:31 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
For me it has helped to practice giving compliments myself. Genuine compliments. Not "that guy is nice". Instead "I really liked what that guy had to say about ____. It really made me think in new ways."

Details. Focus on the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships