Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 08:08 PM

206 posts, read 382,825 times

Advertisements

Other than the members of my household (spouse and children): Mom (talk to at least a couple of times a week), Dad (a couple of times a month, plus updates through Mom), 3 brothers (talk and/or text a couple of times a month, plus we have "family game day" every Sunday where kids and brothers play video games together online), in-laws (talk or email a couple of times a month).

I'm not as close with my brothers wives (2 of the 3 are married) or oldest brother's two sons, who are still baby and toddler age and live thousands of miles away. Also not as close with my spouse's sister and BIL and their kids, even though they live closest of all our 1st degree relatives. I was also quite close to my grandmother until she passed away last year. I used to be closer to my aunts and uncles and cousins (my mom's sister's family lived across the street when I was a kid), but we've drifted as us kids have grown up, moved away from one another physically, and gotten busy. I really wish I could be closer to my SILs as I always wanted a sister, but we've never lived near enough and/or don't have enough in common.

I envy the folks whose families all live nearby--my brothers and I are literally spread from coast-to-coast, with one in L.A., one in Iowa, one in DC, and one in NYC; our parents still live in Michigan. So much harder to stay close emotionally when we can't just drop in on one another or have meals together every week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 08:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I'm really only close to my immediate family. I'm not close to aunts, uncles, cousins. It's nice to see them and catch up every so often, send Christmas cards, but that's it.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:15 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Like a lot of you, I am very close to my two Sons and semi close to my ex wife, but beyond that I really have no contact with what is left of my birth family. No particular reason, no hard feelings, but we have just drifted apart and every day you are not in their lives it becomes less important to reestablish contact.

No, it works out better this way and is just easier.

Don

Old 02-02-2015, 05:46 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
I am close of course to everyone in my immediate family, my mom and dad, and a few cousins, aunt and uncle from my dad's side. I have a brother, nephew, and sister I'm close to. That's it.

I'm not close at all to one of my brothers and his family, nor my mom's side of the family. I'm also not close to my in-laws. Trying to relate to them is akin to trying to find common ground with a bunch of cave men and cave women.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:36 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Wife and I have 2 grown daughters, with husbands and grandkids (6) who live within several hours drive, and whom we see often. I admit that I can't enjoy life unless my grandkids are part of it! Still close to both daughters, but not as close to one of the SILs as the other.

I have a brother, and wife has a brother, and we all get together frequently. Wasn't always this way, but as we all get older, we seem to get closer. Funny about that!

Old 02-02-2015, 07:03 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
I left my country & moved here few years back. I was close to some cousins back home but lost touch over the years. I have some family here so I became closer to them. Its mostly phone calls to my cousins here. We started a whatsapp group & facebook group last year with our first cousins & it has brought us closer again. We don't get to see each other often because we are spread out all over the world & are rarely in our home country at the same time but through social media we can keep in touch & exchange pictures.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:47 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
My family which includes my husband and my 2 adult children. I was very close to my in-laws but sadly they passed
away many years ago. The only relative that I still care about and call is my aunt who lives 2000 miles away. She is one
of the sweetest and kindest people anyone would want to know.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:01 AM

299 posts, read 263,818 times
We are close to our grown daughters; not really anyone else in the bloodline.
My folks are passed; my wife's mother is gone. Siblings are anywhere from tolerated to intolerable.
Our true family are those we are united with by faith. Brothers and sisters in the Lord Jesus Christ that we encourage and take encouragement from. Some near, some far away.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:58 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,838 times
Not close to brother and sister. Been drifting apart as we age and live farther apart.

Cousins....I have many not close to any. Used to be as kids, teens not so much, as adults we see each other at weddings and funerals.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:44 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Over the years I've been close to some relatives at one point, then drifted away. Others I was never close to, then became closer to over time. What relatives are you closest and not closest to?
(chuckle): Zero. Every last one is dead to me. Roughly 26 first cousins; never could put a name on more than roughly 15. Aunts and uncles, maternal and paternal, are in the grass due to old age (most lived long lives, fortunately, with two exceptions).

I've never been too high on their popularity list, either, to be sure! I find it all a bit amusing, on the few occasions I think about it. Oh, I suppose it's rather dark, but know thyself. No idea where any of them live in the specifics, last saw a couple at my father's funeral some years ago. That's that.

Closest thing I have to family and brothers are a few close pals. That's enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships