Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 12:48 PM

535 posts, read 515,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Occasionally I'll be in a group of friends-of-friends or new acquaintances, and someone will say something dumb about my political party, college major, or something invisible like that. It's always in a buddy-buddy way, like I'm obviously on their "team" and expected to enthusiastically agree. Every now and then someone will say something derisive about tattoos, and I will mention with a wide smile that I have one. The resulting facial expression and backpedaling is invariably priceless.

My husband and I were with a friend of his, someone he knew long ago but hadn't spoken to in years. He was very chatty and started talking about how retarded this and that were, and how various people were retards. It was just dumb slang that we're usually pretty easygoing about, but this guy said used "retard" and "retarded" a bunch of times. My husband finally said, "Not sure you're aware, but our daughter is retarded." I thought the guy was going to choke on his own tongue.

I would have said "Don't worry about it, I probably said something offensive about stupid people at some point tonight, so we're even" :P Rude people. I love when they try to backpedal. Just ****, fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 04:28 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Something related to me, or some one I know, such as insesant dissing homeless people as all of my friends were, or currently such. I might even speak up just for G/P.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:11 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
So long as they didn't go out of their way to insult me, I wouldn't worry too much about it. People are going to have opinions, and some people will express theirs more freely without regard to who is in their presence and the possibility that someone may be offended. Also, when people make these blanket insults, most times they are referring to the worst case scenarios, but unfortunately lump everyone together and form a stereotype. People are entitled to their wrong opinion.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:28 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
Have you ever been in a group, talking, and the conversation turns to a subject that pertains to you or your situation and everyone is badmouthing it? How do you react?
This happens nonstop to DH & me. We're "blue state" folks in a "red state" environment and people constantly assume we share their political outlook.
For us, lesson learned is to keep our contributions neutral when the subject turns to politics and social/religious issues. When others don't do so, we try to divert the conversation and if that fails, we make an excuse and leave. Life's too short.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
So long as they didn't go out of their way to insult me, I wouldn't worry too much about it. People are going to have opinions, and some people will express theirs more freely without regard to who is in their presence and the possibility that someone may be offended. Also, when people make these blanket insults, most times they are referring to the worst case scenarios, but unfortunately lump everyone together and form a stereotype. People are entitled to their wrong opinion.
I think it's a good idea to speak up so that such a person can "know the enemy." It's educational, not personal.

Cutting such folks a bit of slack is fine, as it gives you more rope to hang them with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships