Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 07:33 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Need to switch your radio to the local Country station. One of my favorite movies "Pure Country" has a song about the heartland.

Heartland (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pure Country (1992) - IMDb
Hey, even John Mellancamp sang a little ditty 'bout Jack and Diane, two American kids growin' up in the heartland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 07:44 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Well I always thought it was specific to the Pittsburgh-ish region.

ETA: OK apparently I'm wrong and there's a "needs washed" map depicting pockets of this dialect all over the place hahaha.

OMG now I"M SHOCKED, TOO. Yes, dropping the infinitive is common!

Someone said the Scots omit the 'to be' auxiliary verb and that they migrated here as miners specifically in PA as the original source for that construction.

Grammar Girl : Needs Washed :: Quick and Dirty Tips
Thank you for posting that link. It's interesting, and as a bonus, it also explains that other annoying thing I keep seeing where they toss "anymore" into sentences where it makes no sense.

Example: "There are so many unwed mothers anymore."

Old 02-11-2015, 08:15 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Some others....

Years ago, my husband would say -

Where's the fry pan? (rather than the frying pan)

"I think this is broke." (rather than broken)

He doesn't do that anymore. Speaking of anymore, though, I sometimes hear him latch it on to the end of a sentence and boy, does that bother me!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:20 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Is "nea," then, the correct spelling for a vote against something?
I'm not sure if it was you who left the rep comment (I apologize if it wasn't you).

I just wanted to reply that I do get sarcasm. However sarcasm doesn't always come across in writing. The question above is a good example of that.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:53 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
annoying; "Sir, just how much have you had to drink tonight anway?"

Old 02-11-2015, 10:11 PM

532 posts, read 958,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
"Like"
"Actually"
"Basically"
"Ok, so. . . "
"I mean. . . "

The first time I started hearing "Like" overused in conversation was in the mid 80s. It confused me then, and still does. I wonder if when texting, they insert "Like" into their messages as much as they do in vocal communication?

My thinking is that "Actually" is a substitute for saying, "As a matter of fact. . . ", and one word is an easier and faster way of talking.

"Basically". Another of the overused fad words. A friend uses "Basically" to start nearly every sentence.

"Ok, so. . . ", this is overused by many who start their postings, not sure why.

"I mean. . .". My guess is that the speaker didn't think their first explanation was sufficient or understood.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, so are people like actually overdoing fad words, I mean, basically, what are they like trying to say?

"Like" gets me too. A close friend of mine was at my house for dinner one night with her kids, one of them a teen (late teens) couldn't speak without using "like" in between almost every word. She told him to stop it and he did! If more parents would call out their kids on these things, then maybe they wouldn't still be doing it as an adult.

I love Judge Judy, when she gets a teen or young adult, who uses "like" all the time, she will tell them they can't use it anymore and to answer her questions without it -- they can barely get a word out and still end up using it -- she goes after them again though. They don't even know they are doing it.

There are a couple of guys where I live who have a popular afternoon show on the radio. These guys are in their 30's (at least), and the amount of time they use "like" and "anyway" is mind boggling, and 90% of the people who call in are just as bad.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
"It is what it is."

(Implies powerlessness.)
I have a friend who says this all the time, every time I hear it I want to slap his face (harder over the phone), you're right, it's mainly just giving up....here is the worst part of it -- I've found myself saying it! STOP!

Old 02-11-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
hahaha, i've complained about that "i'm a little ocd" one extensively on city-data. And in real life.

i'm with you on the "literally", thing, too. Even my 86-year-old mother is picking this up. A couple of months ago, she told me that she literally died. I thought, really? Were you revived? Did we read your will?
lol!!!!!

Old 02-12-2015, 09:43 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
I just heard "literally" misused again a few minutes ago. Someone in the break room was saying "...and my jaw literally hit the floor!"

Really? Your jaw actually fell off your face and landed on the floor?

The problem is, I am fine with...in fact, I love... figurative language. So why not just say "My jaw hit the floor"? That's a nice little descriptive device. But put that "literally" in there, and you just sound like a complete idiot.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:23 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,005 times
"For all intensive purposes". Um, it's actually "For all intents and purposes".

"it's a mute point". Well, unless someone was using sign language to make a point, then what you probably meant was "It's a moot point".
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/edu...ot-versus-mute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships