Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 10:48 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Exactly why would two people who are home be texting one another?
My husband and I text each other inside the house all day long. In the 90s, we used AIM chat.

He is hard of hearing and even when I get up and go into the room where he is to have a discussion I often have to repeat myself. This, even with hearing aids.

So . . . it is much more pleasant for both of us to just text.

In general, I do not like using the phone - ever. The only exceptions would be with close friends who have something they want to discuss and we can't meet up - so we will chat about the topic.

I quit using email except for business purposes about 5 years ago.

If you need to communicate with me, send me a PM on FB or text me.

My friends are the same way. We all hate phones and we all text or use messaging on FB.

I have had several people get really huffy with me b/c I don't call them and the only one I placate by calling is my mother, and it is not something I enjoy at all.

So no, not everyone likes the phone. And yes, people text each other even in the same house. My son will be home and he texts us as well, and when he was younger and living with us, we all used AIM chat.

I am to the point that I really don't care who thinks it is rude that I don't want to deal with phones. If I could get away with a device that only texts and doesn't make phone calls, that would be perfect. Then I wouldn't even have a phone number so . . . end of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 11:28 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
That's easy...one of us is upstairs and one of us is downstairs or in the basement or in the garage or outside.

Also, when DH was still alive, drunk, and in the living room, and my kids and I would have to discuss something without letting irrational DH know about it, we texted each other. Saved a LOT of arguments from happening AND offered my kids some reassurance and security.

I can watch TV, text, and surf the net all at the same time. Heck, I can watch TV, talk, and surf all at the same time. I was doing it all tonight.
How are you watching tv if your eyes are on two different screens? Sounds to me the tv is on as background sound while you surf the Web and text.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:35 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
How are you watching tv if your eyes are on two different screens? Sounds to me the tv is on as background sound while you surf the Web and text.
Some people can walk and chew gum at the same time and some can't. It's called, "multitasking".

Old 02-12-2015, 05:16 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Some people can walk and chew gum at the same time and some can't. It's called, "multitasking".
Ugh i cant stand when ppl do that. They turn on the tv then start texting, reading emails, watching vids, picking their nose, etc then they look at the tv and go "wait, when did that happen?" Then they have to rewind and rewatch or they make you explain what all they missed.

We werent allowed to do anything when we watched tv. It was "sit down, sit up straight, look at the tv and quit fidgeting. If you want to watch tv then youre going to watch the tv. If you want to do anything else then leave the room and stay gone so the rest of us can enjoy the show".

As for people in different rooms, i do this one thing with my legs. I move them in an alternating fashion which actually propels my body to any location i desire. Using this method im able to find the person and actually say what it is i need to say and it actually burns some calories too.

Listening to a movie?

Old 02-12-2015, 05:25 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
My husband and I text each other inside the house all day long. In the 90s, we used AIM chat.

He is hard of hearing and even when I get up and go into the room where he is to have a discussion I often have to repeat myself. This, even with hearing aids.

So . . . it is much more pleasant for both of us to just text.

In general, I do not like using the phone - ever. The only exceptions would be with close friends who have something they want to discuss and we can't meet up - so we will chat about the topic.

I quit using email except for business purposes about 5 years ago.

If you need to communicate with me, send me a PM on FB or text me.

My friends are the same way. We all hate phones and we all text or use messaging on FB.

I have had several people get really huffy with me b/c I don't call them and the only one I placate by calling is my mother, and it is not something I enjoy at all.

So no, not everyone likes the phone. And yes, people text each other even in the same house. My son will be home and he texts us as well, and when he was younger and living with us, we all used AIM chat.

I am to the point that I really don't care who thinks it is rude that I don't want to deal with phones. If I could get away with a device that only texts and doesn't make phone calls, that would be perfect. Then I wouldn't even have a phone number so . . . end of that.
Just curious to know if you felt this way on Feb 11, 1999 or has advanced technology made you less interested in the phone?

Old 02-12-2015, 06:27 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Easy peasy. There is this thing called "commercials" which are generally annoying ads that take up much of the time during a so-called "show". Why is that so hard?

Old 02-12-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Ugh i cant stand when ppl do that. They turn on the tv then start texting, reading emails, watching vids, picking their nose, etc then they look at the tv and go "wait, when did that happen?" Then they have to rewind and rewatch or they make you explain what all they missed.

We werent allowed to do anything when we watched tv. It was "sit down, sit up straight, look at the tv and quit fidgeting. If you want to watch tv then youre going to watch the tv. If you want to do anything else then leave the room and stay gone so the rest of us can enjoy the show".

As for people in different rooms, i do this one thing with my legs. I move them in an alternating fashion which actually propels my body to any location i desire. Using this method im able to find the person and actually say what it is i need to say and it actually burns some calories too.

Listening to a movie?
Eh, I generally can't STAND just sitting there....and seriously..."sit up straight"?!? It's a freaking relaxing evening! Dang it, I am going to RECLINE or SLOUCH down or heaven forbid, even LIE DOWN on my couch!

I live alone, except when my kids stay here, so I can do whatever the heck I want, the way I want it, when I want to do it! It's awesome! When my kids are here, there are even MORE distractions....called KIDS. Again, it's awesome.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:30 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
there is no too impersonal among friends. Texting for things like quickie messages and "oh let me get back to you when I find outs", etc. 15 second phone calls for unimportant things are a waste of time, especially for the other person since they had to drop what they're doing. Instead they respond at their leisure.

On top of this, I HATE talking on the phone, even back when there were no cellphones.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:50 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Id hate to have the life that a lot of you have. Cant take a call for 5 minutes? Always busy? Having to "drop what youre doing"? Geez, i think theres maybe 15 minutes of each day that im actually busy.

Funny how we talk about multitasking and being able to watch tv and text at the same time but God forbid people talk on the phone and do something else at the same time.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Id hate to have the life that a lot of you have. Cant take a call for 5 minutes? Always busy? Having to "drop what youre doing"? Geez, i think theres maybe 15 minutes of each day that im actually busy.

Funny how we talk about multitasking and being able to watch tv and text at the same time but God forbid people talk on the phone and do something else at the same time.
I talk and surf the 'net at the same time.
I talk and walk at the same time.
I talk via Bluetooth and drive at the same time.

I prefer texting, though. (NOT texting and driving though).

Texting and walking works when I use Siri to text for me. My thumbs fly pretty fast...and with predictive texting, it's even faster!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships