Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 03:03 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,865,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
I have 2 friends who do this to me over the phone...and since I have moved 500 miles away, they call a few times a week. ....one is worse than the other..she calls me when she is driving and WILL NOT SHUT UP...even after she parks and goes in and squeezing the cantaloupe at Kroger..she's going on and on about nothing of consequence..usually herself.....the other one never takes a breath and she talks so loud my husband hears it all. ..the other day he was laughing in the back ground and was floored at how she never came up for a breath....once one called a half hour before the other one and I ignored it.... did not have the strength to listen for another 20 mins straight...other than hanging up.. I can not even get in and say. .gotta go...I am ashamed to day we got cut off one day mid sentrnce and I turned my phone off..I had enough....
I have a granddaughter in law who is like this but not QUITE that bad. She'll call at all hours and go on and on and on. Well, I know now how to stop it! Loan them money. You'll never hear from them again. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
We had an old family joke about my mother. "no one would recognize in her casket because her mouth would be shut." She was a real PITA. If there really is a heaven or hell, I hope I go where she isn't. I don't think I could stand her mouth throughout all Eternity.

People like her seem to be out of touch with how important they really are. They don't listen to any kind of hint about it either.
My dad used to tell my mom, "Hush Margaret. It's MY turn to talk". lol I can just see him still doing that!

Old 02-18-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
I also find these overly-detailed people annoying.

Also when people have to tell me the plot of a movie or tv show they've seen.

EVERY detail of the plot...

makes me want to scream!
LOL...that's another thing my mom used to do. Sometimes it was all I could do not to yawn. She was a great fan of auto racing as well and would tell me as many details about the race as she remembered. I couldn't care less about auto racing. Dang...I miss that too.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:19 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,697,384 times
I've done this.
One woman who is older I give her rides from time to time (she pays). So I don't want to offend her; she is my "employer". altho it is only a little bit of $.

Sometimes I get so frustrated so I just keep talking, and she keeps talking, it's kind of funny.
Not something I would do very often, I find it very unpleasant.

but sometimes I do it just to see will she keep talking.
answer: yes- she has much more fortitude than me when it comes to talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I wonder if you can find a gap in their talking (or heck just interrupt in the middle of their yacking) and just start talking about yourself and not let them talk over you or interrupt at all. If they try to interrupt, talk louder. Do that for a straight 15 minutes or so and see how they react.

Unfortunately though I don't think they'd get it. They would think you boring but not themselves when they do the same to you.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:50 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,308,339 times
I tell them they talk too much. It may be rude but oh well.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:56 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,277,543 times
If they're getting on my nerves I bluntly tell them to be quiet. That or walk away.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:17 PM

3,156 posts, read 3,333,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
True story: My ex-SO's brother's ex-SO used to talk herself to sleep. She would talk and talk and talk until she drifted off.
That's quite a mouthful there! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm curious as to why the motor-mouth "illness" is so common in our society. Sometimes it's a response to personal loss/trauma, as when someone has lost a loved one, and the coping mechanism is compulsive talking. But that's only a small minority of cases. Can anyone shed some light on why this is relatively commonplace? Are we really a nation of narcissists, or are there other causes?
Wish I knew. For me I don't care too much because I'm not much of a talker. Some people have the gift of gab.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:58 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,820,161 times
People used to tell me I'm such a good listener and I took it as a compliment. After all, all books on friendships tell you to be a good listener. Well, I realized for these types of people, it was just manipulation so I would let them go on and on. I attract these people like bees to honey. One friend in particular, I know she is lonely, but the "details" just go on and on and on. Now she not only talks but points and actually prods me to emphasize what she is saying. That I did have to say something about as I can't stand having a wagging finger being pointed at me or prodded! But it didn't work because the next time I saw her, she did it again. I know she is lonely but I really believe they think everybody is truly interested in what they have to say (and say, and say) and that they are really fascinating people to be around or they like the sound of their own voices. It has come to the point where I really can't spend much time with her at all, which is sad because we could be better friends if it wasn't for this non stop talking. I mostly email her now once in a while and limit in person visits. Maybe it's some kind of addiction. I know it is becoming more and more pervasive in our society.

I've thought maybe just being honest in a kind of joking way...saying "do you realize how much you talk" but like others who have posted here, there really isn't any way to get thru to them. I guess when I meet new people (this is mostly women) and I see this kind of trait, I need to cut it off right away and not go forward with the friendship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships