Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 08:25 AM

50,775 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
My dear ocnjgirl, you say what I posted is not true, that it has nothing to do with being optimistic. Is there an outside chance you might agree that while YOU are not optimistic, there may possibly, just possibly be someone in all the world who IS optimistic and fits what I described... maybe, kinda sorta???
Or am I just a total ignoramus who has no business even thinking she has an opinion on such an important topic? Do please advise while I wait.
It has nothing to do with being ignorant, no need to take it so personally. But yes, I maintain that 99.9% of people do this for one reason, they don't want to get in a freezing car, and are willing to take the chance in order to avoid it. Considering the sheer number of people who do this where it's cold, I'd wager some are optimists ans some not just as in any large group of people, but IMO that personality trait is not responsible for their decision, not wanting to freeze is.

I don't understand why there has to be some deep psychological reason why people don't want to be cold and uncomfortable. Why can't it be as simple as not wanting to be cold and uncomfortable?

I'm also a very optimistic person in general, but it had nothing to do with my decision to make my car warm and comfy before I got in. it is also not to the degree that I'm removed from the reality of the world, and I don't think most optimistic people are either young and stupid nor ignorant of reality as you seem to believe.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-21-2015 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 11:16 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It has nothing to do with being ignorant, no need to take it so personally. But yes, I maintain that 99.9% of people do this for one reason, they don't want to get in a freezing car, and are willing to take the chance in order to avoid it. Considering the sheer number of people who do this where it's cold, I'd wager some are optimists ans some not just as in any large group of people, but IMO that personality trait is not responsible for their decision, not wanting to freeze is.

I don't understand why there has to be some deep psychological reason why people don't want to be cold and uncomfortable. Why can't it be as simple as not wanting to be cold and uncomfortable?

I'm also a very optimistic person in general, but it had nothing to do with my decision to make my car warm and comfy before I got in. it is also not to the degree that I'm removed from the reality of the world, and I don't think most optimistic people are either young and stupid nor ignorant of reality as you seem to believe.
Why are you having such a hard time comprehending that the OP is talking about certain set of people who are doing what you do that are getting mad because of a PSA? A friendly PSA to remind people that if they are leaving a running car that they could be possible crime victims. Are you one of those people that's getting into (or would get) a snit because of a PSA?

Old 02-21-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Why are you having such a hard time comprehending that the OP is talking about certain set of people who are doing what you do that are getting mad because of a PSA? A friendly PSA to remind people that if they are leaving a running car that they could be possible crime victims. Are you one of those people that's getting into (or would get) a snit because of a PSA?
OP is not talking about people being mad at a PSA. She herself is mad that people in her town keep doing this, starting their cars to warm them up, and she claims it is making car thieves target her neighborhood and waste police resources. She thinks we're selfish because we won't sacrifice our own comfort and health and drive to work in freezing cold cars in order to preserve the good reputation of her town. She thinks this is somehow unique to her town and doesn't extend to all cold cities in all cold states.

People on this thread went on to further denigrate people who have warmed up our cars without locking them by saying we "don't have the sense God gave rabbits" or that we do it because we're stupidly optimistic. Gonna defend myself, sorry if that bugs you.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-21-2015 at 11:41 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 12:00 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OP is not talking about people being mad at a PSA. She herself is mad that people in her town keep doing this, starting their cars to warm them up, and she claims it is making car thieves target her neighborhood and waste police resources. She thinks we're selfish because we won't sacrifice our own comfort and health and drive to work in freezing cold cars in order to preserve the good reputation of her town. She thinks this is somehow unique to her town and doesn't extend to all cold cities in all cold states.

People on this thread went on to further denigrate people who have warmed up our cars without locking them by saying we "don't have the sense God gave rabbits" or that we do it because we're stupidly optimistic. Gonna defend myself, sorry if that bugs you.
Yes she is, look to the OP-- Where she clearly spells it out. If the town sheriff is having to put out a PSA on FB and leaving voicemail, that does indicate a problem. If people are getting offended --which I can believe, given how some people in Seattle would say exactly the same things that the OP claims her townspeople are saying-- then you can believe its a problem thats going to be unresolved and only will grow to be a bigger problem.

In this day and age, it is wasting police resource if you're not taking precautions. There's no excuse whatsoever for leaving an unlocked running car when people have the remotes. And if they can't afford that, they should be using the extra spare key which doesn't cost a lot.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yes she is, look to the OP-- Where she clearly spells it out. If the town sheriff is having to put out a PSA on FB and leaving voicemail, that does indicate a problem. If people are getting offended --which I can believe, given how some people in Seattle would say exactly the same things that the OP claims her townspeople are saying-- then you can believe its a problem thats going to be unresolved and only will grow to be a bigger problem.

In this day and age, it is wasting police resource if you're not taking precautions. There's no excuse whatsoever for leaving an unlocked running car when people have the remotes. And if they can't afford that, they should be using the extra spare key which doesn't cost a lot.
Let's just agree to disagree.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:01 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Leaving your keys in the car is just silly, a lot of people do... I don't get it..... my dad does that, he leaves his car keys on the floor board of the car.... I'm like damn.... I should go over to his house and steal his damn car just to show him.....

Old 02-12-2020, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 338 times
My area has gone as far as putting up signs everywhere: lock it or lose it. They are tacky. The people in the watch want a 9pm phone call to remind them to lock their cars. I have argued until I am blue in the face that all these measures cannot fix stupid. They a blew up at me!!! I get where your coming from.

Old 02-12-2020, 05:58 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Reviving a five year old thread?

Old 02-12-2020, 11:39 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Reviving a five year old thread?

C-D encourages the reviving of old threads if someone has a helpful comment.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:47 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Stealing puffers and stealing valuables from unlocked cars is still a problem as of 2020.

I don’t get why people leave cars unlocked, either. But it is their decision whether to take the risk.

What I loathe is the attitude displayed by neighbors in a former residence who acted like I was paranoid for locking home and garage doors. Well, DUH. Break-ins can happen anywhere, and there were a LOT of hinky people lurking in that town, hiding among the throngs of tourists.

Car prowls (looking for cars to steal) was just one of the common property crimes. As just one example, one day I noticed a car that at first glance looked like that of lost dirtbags. But when it sat idling in the middle of the tiny crossroads for many minutes, after crawling past homes with the owners away, I went for a closer look and maybe to ask if they needed directions. As soon as they saw me, they sped away in a big spray of gravel. I did not get a plate number but noted number of occupants and make/model of car. I wanted to report it as suspicious activity but thought nobody would take heed.

Well, I should have followed my intuition on that one! The next edition of the local paper reported that less than 30 minutes after I had seen that car, two people at one of the supermarkets had “swapped” it for another car that shopper had just left parked with keys in ignition! The first car had also been stolen, and was one of several that the dirtbags had stashed in a forested area where they had been illegally “camping” for months. All their gear had been stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships