Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 05:48 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,301,230 times

Advertisements

He is not your friend. Get him out of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 06:08 AM

7,985 posts, read 5,358,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
I currently have a friend who nitpicks everything about me and my life.
You may want to evaluate your definition of friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
you ever dealt with something like this amongst any of your "friends"? In your opinion, what drives someone to act this way? Would you stick it out with someone like this?
I only allow people in my hula hoop that make me feel happy and loved. If you can't be nice then you are kicked out of the circle.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:19 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,610,168 times
some friends (even some from the outside who have nothing to do with the friendship) take the position that when a friend tells you things about yourself that are hurtful "they at least 'care'a about you enough to tell you" whereas a friend "who always tells you what you want to hear isn't much of a friend".

i often thought about this when i was in my bad "friendship". although maybe my "friend" did care, I just could not deal with constant assaults on my character. even if he was being sincere and acting out of concern, i just chalked it up to the fact that we both were just too different and could not go on.

and funny that after i ended it all, my life started to turn around for the better

Old 02-21-2015, 10:49 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,020,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
You may want to evaluate your definition of friend.
Bingo!

Old 02-21-2015, 11:11 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,968,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Insecurity drives him- tearing you down builds himself up in his mind.

However, why would you care ? This is not a friend. Friends do not treat each other this way. As far as sticking it out, I would never have considered to try to be a friend with this sort of person.

Find better people. Find people who add to your life. People who make you uncomfortable, backstab you, use you to build themselves up, etc., etc. etc. are just not friend material. Don't keep making the same mistake.

Friends bring security & comfort to our lives. You don't have to question your relationship with friends. .
^^^perfectly stated^^^
Yes, we all have known people like this and many of us who are older/wiser, learned to leave behind people like this, whether they are family or friends (life is too short to do otherwise).

No one needs such toxicity in their lives... real friends will build each other up, be there for each other, and will be happy for their friend's successes (not jealous).

Old 02-21-2015, 12:17 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,107,493 times
I think most people have had someone like this in their lives. Eventually you find your breaking point and let them go. Some hang on longer than they should. The main reason being, not every interaction or time spent with the person is bad. This is what makes relationships like this toxic and manipulative. Anytime someone cuts you down, its time to let go. This friendship has met it's life span.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:49 AM

93 posts, read 77,029 times
This friend of yours sounds like an insecure loser. The smartest and most sensible thing to do is to kick him out of your life. Of course, it's not always as easy as it seems, but if you keep a toxic friend in your life for so long, they succeed in bringing you down.
In my experience, *real* friends are very rare to find. Those who stick with you to the very end and care about you don't exactly grow on trees. I've had many "friends" who were horrible. I've had one friend who was so insecure and obsessed with her looks that she would call me fat, gleefully tell me that I should be jealous of her for being skinny, and try to purposely make me eat junk food when I was on a diet. In the end, this person had *WAY* too many issues that I cut her out of my life (she didn't take it very well, but that's a story for another day). I also dealt with "friends" who don't realize that friendship is a two way high way...I did my best to listen to the people I cared about, and even stayed up all night while they pored their feelings out for their own problems. However, I soon learned that they did not do the same to me. Whenever I needed someone who would listen,they would hastily make up some excuse and avoid me. There are some people in the world who don't realize that the world contains more than the problems in their life, and these people make horrible friends. The only people they would get along with are people who are equally as self centered as they are. These people had to go as well.
Take advantage of the common sense you have. Do your friends really care about you? Are they taking advantage of you? Are they constantly putting you down? Do you feel comfortable around them? You are able to see for yourself who you should keep in your life and who you shouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships