Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:23 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,202,674 times

Advertisements

Every week or so the news runs a story about a service person who returns home unexpectedly and surpises their kid at school.

I think this is horrible. The poor kid- I mean, I'm sure he/she is thrilled to have their parent home, but to surprise him/her at school with tv cameras in front of all of their friends. It just seems to be in poor taste and not fair to the child.

Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 04:10 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,376,697 times
I don't know but the reunions bring tears to my eyes.

I think it is okay! I am sure they enjoy the attention and to have their parent home so I guess I don't see anything wrong with it.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:13 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,600,553 times
I understand your point HIF. I hate the media and their exploitation of everything and everyone.

But on this issue, I would think (and hope) that the news station has permission from the wife to do this.

Does bring tears to my eyes to when I see it and I'm sure all the kids care about is Daddy's HOME!!

Last edited by MonaLisaVito; 01-10-2008 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: SPELLING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 04:14 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,359,559 times
I think it all depends on the situation. If your child attends a DoDDS school, then there would be a whole bunch of kids getting the surprise of their lives. On an individual basis I don't see much wrong with it. I'm sure any embarrassment is long forgotten by the overwhelming happiness of seeing a parent return from a deployment. Plus the military has many rules and regs regarding it's service members (especially in uniform) and the media.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:35 PM

630 posts, read 2,226,160 times
I'm sure for the most part that these kids attend a school on base. It brings tears to my eyes when I see these happy reunions and knowing that so many don't get a happy reunion with a parent.

Also I think it reminds the public about our service men and women who are serving this country and the effect it has on their families. Sometimes we, those in the military and the families, feel like the public has forgotten about those serving this country.

And yes I take this personally since I have three sons serving and I have one currently in the middle east.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/bicfomh/gg01/usa/usa011.gif (broken link)

Old 01-10-2008, 06:53 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,202,674 times
These have all been public schools. Although we have several military bases, the kids are all in public schools here. I just think it is exploitive, not telling the kids that the parent is even coming home. I'm sure that the kids aren't permanently damaged, but it just seems wrong. Some of the kids seem totally freaked out by the surprise.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:38 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,344,365 times
The ones I've seen on TV seem really Happy, i think it's kinda cool.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,961,705 times
The ones around here have been in public schools and mostly elementary age. Often the class has sent cards to the military parent and are just as excited when that parent walks in class and surprises their kid. It makes me happy ... a feel good moment for me.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:17 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Every week or so the news runs a story about a service person who returns home unexpectedly and surpises their kid at school.

I think this is horrible. The poor kid- I mean, I'm sure he/she is thrilled to have their parent home, but to surprise him/her at school with tv cameras in front of all of their friends. It just seems to be in poor taste and not fair to the child.

Am I missing something?
I agree that those news spots seem to be terribly inappropriate and not in the best interests of the child. However I wonder how many of them are orchestrated by the service person's own family. I'm a very private person, yet there are many who are hoping for their 15 minutes of fame or to have material to upload to youtube for the extra attention. We do live in a narcissistic society.

I am also getting tired of occasionally encountering someone who feels that their family should get special treatment because they have a family member in the military. I have never supported invading Iraq and I certainly never asked anyone to sign up to the military to protect our country. And some signed up just for the educational benefits and the bonuses. And of those, I know many that plan to spend their bonus on buying some brand new high hp car when they get out. So much for their noble efforts.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:31 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
You might actually be surprised how often this happens AND DOES NOT GET REPORTED!

If you want to blame someone, blame the DoD media people - they are the ones who get in touch with the media - not the service member
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships