Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 09:04 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times

Advertisements

Doesn't bother me in the least. They are just words and some people use them very creatively.

Maybe some people are just too easily offended or are looking for ways to make themselves feel like better people.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:31 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
I had an uncle who talked like that. It was a habit, but in poor taste. He never realized that this was a turn off and one reason few people liked him. Sad, because he was actually intelligent and a nice guy.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:42 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
I don't surround myself with people like that. Crude language is a disrespectful way to communicate and is usually a sign of a stunted vocabulary or imagination.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:51 AM

436 posts, read 421,006 times
Also, swearing AT someone is a lot different than using swears in other contexts. F you is different than this salad is f-ing great.

Once dh and I were in some sort of argument and he was being a huge jerk. I said something like, "you're acting like a dog" or something to that effect. He said the way I said it made him feel worse than when others had actually called him cuss words. The intention matters. (Plus it probably shocked him, I don't make a habit of being less than polite.)

Old 02-28-2015, 03:25 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
I don't surround myself with people like that. Crude language is a disrespectful way to communicate and is usually a sign of a stunted vocabulary or imagination.
I'm a writer, and I come from a family of journalists and professors. As mentioned, my husband uses his "bowling words" way too often, but he has an expansive vocabulary that puts all my fancy friends to shame.

"Crude language" is not a sign of stunted vocabulary or limited intellect.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:02 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
.... Or "swear like sailors". Anybody have a friend like that or know anyone who swears ALOT? I met this guy who seems like a good dude but he probably uses the F word every other word... even to describe simple things. How do you deal with people like that?
People who over-swear are angry people who are stuck in their anger. They don't want to move past it - they want to stay angry and "poor me".

I stay away from people like that.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:28 PM

418 posts, read 727,922 times
I have plenty of friends who swear and it doesn't bother me, generally.

But there are also a LOT of people who don't seem aware (or maybe just don't care) what image they're putting out there. The people who are on the bus or the sidewalk telling a long detailed story, loudly of course, and every other word is a "bad" word, like a vocal tick. They DO sound (and frankly probably are) uneducated, and the swearing is surely not doing them any favors as they try to make their way in the world. I know that makes me sound like a snot, but there you have it.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:00 PM

766 posts, read 1,395,010 times
Being raised among the dairy farming community, I KNOW what it's like to get kicked or stepped on by a cow. Will I cuss? YOUR DAMN RIGHT! I get kicked or stepped on by a cow, and I will TEACH YOU HOW TO CUSS! lololol

What irritates me? When somebody *thinks* they are offering a compliment.

That meal was "f'ing awesome!"

That dude is my f'ing best friend!

Mixing cuss words with a compliment? It shows a lack of intelligence.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:13 PM

436 posts, read 421,006 times
So there's some really interesting research about swearing, psychology, neurology, sociology... the list goes on. I'm not going to link anything in particular, but people who swear (pun intended) that "swearing = people with low intelligence" might want to check it out. It's actually quite interesting stuff. Google it yourself if you're so inclined and have a little time to waste.

One thing I will quote:

Do all people swear?

Contextual, personality, and even physiological variables are critical for predicting how swearing will occur. While swearing crosses socioeconomic statuses and age ranges and persists across the lifespan, it is more common among adolescents and more frequent among men. Inappropriate swearing can be observed in frontal lobe damage, Tourette’s disorder, and aphasia. (Emphasis mine. Again - for the people who say it's always a choice. You don't know what invisible disability someone is struggling with. I suggest taking people at a whole instead of judging them on one factor.) '+windowtitle+'

Old 02-28-2015, 07:14 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
.... Or "swear like sailors". Anybody have a friend like that or know anyone who swears ALOT? I met this guy who seems like a good dude but he probably uses the F word every other word... even to describe simple things. How do you deal with people like that?
Sometimes I repeat it back to them just to give them a hint at how stupid they sound...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships