Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:46 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
.... Or "swear like sailors". Anybody have a friend like that or know anyone who swears ALOT? I met this guy who seems like a good dude but he probably uses the F word every other word... even to describe simple things. How do you deal with people like that?
Speak up and point it out. They did not start out that way, but developed the poor manners and crass behavior somewhere along the way. Don't worry about taking some flack for speaking up because in the end, you should never feel compelled to remain silent in such a situation.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:24 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
Default It seems to be a space filler and...

Quote:
.... Or "swear like sailors". Anybody have a friend like that or know anyone who swears ALOT? I met this guy who seems like a good dude but he probably uses the F word every other word... even to describe simple things. How do you deal with people like that?
most guys I've talked to don't even realize they do it, until you ask them how many times they've used the f. bomb in the last ten minutes. Crackheads also swear within their vocabulary extremely, but I don't usually challenge them, for obvious thug reasons.

I had a thirty something construction super for a very large pipeline company. He was (finally) caught but the signals, especially the profanity, was a clear sign of his mental state. It's also a sign that somethings going on undiagnosed, until you (finally) hear that head office sent him off to rehab.

It also can be a stress and/or space filler, as in using the word "like" and inserting it in sentences. There was a prof. in Eastern Canada that actually studied word use in female teenagers, and inserting "like" was in very specific places, just as an example. There's always a reason.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 03-01-2015 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-01-2015, 03:41 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
Doesn't matter to me. I wasn't born offended by those noises, they're only offensive because someone else tells you that's how you're supposed to react, because someone else told them, who heard it from someone else etc. It's completely arbitrary, there's no logic to it, just people blindly parroting back what they hear from others. I'd feel stupid buying into the idea that there's something bad about certain syllables when you can convey exactly the same meaning with other syllables and no one gives a damn (or a ****, or a ****).
Swear words exist it's a fact... it doesn't offend you great but that's you... some people find them offensive because that's what they were meant for... offense. Like I said before I don't have a problem with swearing used in context but when people start using the as adjectives, verbs, prepositions etc.. It becomes ridiculous and tiresome.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:59 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
Cursing has it's place. If I accidently hit my thumb with a hammer, a curse word may come out. I think that is reasonable and expected.

The issue is when people hold ongoing tension and strife inside...then is unleashed on innocent victims via vulgarities. While passed off as normal and expected that the victim is expected to deal with their blow

This is unfair and the root cause of this anger needs to be dealt with.
I know, I have those issues. I cuss when angry, I sometimes use them in general conversation. I don't really care what they were used for, they are just words to me, and in my group they aren't offensive words, they don't leave no one gasping, shocked, or appalled, and they shouldn't anymore. Adults shouldn't be offended by profanities. This part isn't really directed towards you persey, but I've been here for a while, I don't always try to skirt past filters, I think I've established my intelligence, any adult who thinks less of me for letting loose a cuss word or two had some sort of personal problem. Profanity is an entitlement to adults, regardless of time and place, they are there for me to use however I need or want to use them, and I agree some people do use them excessively.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:02 PM

511 posts, read 508,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenapple View Post
At what point in polite conversation do I drop, "hey btw don't mind my rude husband, he's not rude or low-class, he's just brain injured, tee hee."
I have a friend who was a dentist until he was hit in the head by a speeding boat. His wife handled it just fine imho. She'd just stated openly said what happened and how it does impair his speech. That was plenty enough. They remained very active in the community so I imagine your examples had to have been things she went through. Eventually they moved near family who could help care for him.

Random strangers...well I guess you wouldn't stop them on the road or anything but those people are passing by anyhow. It's just a quick earshot and they'll certainly live. That isn't the same imho. People who swear frequently, as you know, 99% of the time are doing so deliberately. It's not due to a brain injury. And those which are aware of that persons brain injury and still judge their cursing, well imho, and it's just mho....you probably haven't lost much not being friends with them anyhow. Considering they understand the situation and still have issues with it.

I agree you are in a sticky situation and I wish instead of being judged....you could be rightfully honored for your position. Thanks for sharing the other side with us. I hope you both are able to have close friends whom you do share enough with and that are understanding about the circumstances because none of us are perfect. We could easily have been your husband, in his shoes.

Thanks for reminding us there are good people in the world like you and your husband. And putting it into a different perspective.
Blessings to the both of you

Last edited by MrsApt; 03-01-2015 at 04:20 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 04:26 PM

511 posts, read 508,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
What's even more entertaining and fascinating is seeing all the superior attitudes and judgments! It's enough to make one, well, just swear! I agree that constantly using vulgar language is off putting to many, but to start assigning intelligence and worth to people based on it, is really blowing my mind.
oh but they go further than just swearing...theyve decided for us HOW we SHOULD handle their flaws so they can continue acting like idiots.

Worded as an order, as of they are above us because they spew a few four letter words. These of course, are of the highest IQ's

Again, I say they should be placed on an island together so they can order each other around... and decide who has the right to be offended or not...and who knows about any of the other reactions, shock, dismay etc...at least we'd have a whole island of attention whores instead of unleashing them onto an innocent society

Old 03-01-2015, 04:28 PM

723 posts, read 868,659 times
Quote:
Swear words exist it's a fact... it doesn't offend you great but that's you... some people find them offensive because that's what they were meant for... offense. Like I said before I don't have a problem with swearing used in context but when people start using the as adjectives, verbs, prepositions etc.. It becomes ridiculous and tiresome.
Yeah I know they do, but my point is... why? They just do, they've never given a moment's thought to why that is. It's just another silly, arbitrary cultural taboo and I only play along with it because people whinge if I don't.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:25 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I think cursing is funny. The Trailer Park boys have there own network online called swearnet. It's pretty funny stuff.

There is a time a place for not speaking that way.

I just having found it yet.... LOL...

J/K

I think its funny when you see some sweet looking little old lady and you see her let loose... funny stuff. I do have a juvenile sense of humor at times.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:44 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times
Since I'm Irish I reserve the right to swear, especially if I'm drinking or pissed off.
Or both.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:01 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
Yeah I know they do, but my point is... why? They just do, they've never given a moment's thought to why that is. It's just another silly, arbitrary cultural taboo and I only play along with it because people whinge if I don't.
Well maybe it has to do with the history of the word like the N word for example. It's just a word too but there's a lot of negative history and meaning attached to it so it's considered a swear...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships