U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2008, 05:39 PM

4 posts, read 11,820 times
Angry Difficulties at work

I have this problem at work. I work at a prestiges organization and about two years ago I transferred from one area to another one which was closer to where I started going to school. I am an elderly lady and decided three years ago to go back to school for my degree. I have come up in ranks because I was given ample opportunities to get experience with various functions at work and have been blessed and fortunate to be up for those opportunities. Two years ago when I decided to get closer to school, I was told by my boss that gave me the opportunities that I should not leave, things would not go well for me. I took that chance anyway. Every since I took that chance to better myself in school and other career goals, I have caught hell. She has been my boss in the place where I transferred and I have been catching hell every since then. My job was given to someone else with a degree, that person did not work out, the job was given back to me, but not with personnel (of course), I was just told to manage the area again. I was given another job that had nothing to do with my experience and was then working both jobs and making sure that things did not get behind. A year later, my job that was through HR, was phased out and a non-management job was suggested to me which I took because if I did not, I would not have a job. Now with this job, I am being micro-managed to the point of no return. I am very depressed and do not know what to do. I was also told by this boss two years ago, "It's a small world after all, I am over this department". I feel that this is harassment and retaliation. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 05:46 PM

9,342 posts, read 16,171,156 times
Stay under the radar, take deep cleansing breathes before going in each morning and look for another position.

I'm sorry that you are going through so much at work, but in circumstances like that, even if you win the battle, few win the war.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:08 PM

1,729 posts, read 126,371 times
I tend to agree with HIF that you should just focus on your work, try to stay out of office politics, and when it's time to go home, enjoy your life. It could be that they are trying to put a lot of pressure on you to break you. Or it could be that the organization is under pressure from the slow market as a whole and you are feeling this manifested through micro-management, etc.
I was once in a miserable job situation - the circumstances were different, but the attempts to make me uncomfortable were the same. have to run ...

Old 01-10-2008, 06:20 PM
miu

12,992 posts, read 21,788,828 times
I think that you made the mistake of letting your boss know that you took those classes and so you went against her advice. Maybe it's her pride that is hurt or she feels threatened that you will one day leave the company. Going to school was a good thing imo, but you should have kept your academic activities secret and from all your co-workers. At this point, just lay low at work and find yourself another company to work for.

No matter how comfortable you are at any company, don't trust anyone there. Never confide in your supervisors either. Everyone is out for themselves.

Here's one true example. Someone was doing contract work at one company. He was doing well but it was a temporary assignment. Meanwhile he gets a lead on a fulltime job at another company. He went through several interviews and felt sure that he was going to get hired there. He told a few co-workers where he was working, someone ratted him out to his supervisor. He got immediately terminated and the other company didn't hire him and ended up filling that position inhouse instead.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:24 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,513,973 times
Are you at a place where you want to retire? You said you were an elderly lady, how long until you retire? If so I'd just try and stay under your bosses radar. Perhaps sooner or later she'll transfer.

You have to be careful in this situation. It sounds like you are under a lot of stress and that can affect your health. Is there someone in management there that you can talk to confidentially?

If I was you I'd keep my eye open for another job. I'm not suggesting you look for other employment, just be prepared with a fallback plan. This situation kind of sounds like manangement doesn't have your back. If so, then you may be facing an uphill battle.

Just keep your head low, watch your back, and make sure all your i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:28 PM

4,983 posts, read 5,126,819 times
When you're really being harrassed a lot, and they are not being reasonable, they are wanting you to leave. Decide if that's the case or not.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:53 PM

1,729 posts, read 126,371 times
I'm back, sorry my electrician arrived as I was typing my previous post. It does sound like they are one way or another trying to 'break' you, to what end and why I'm not sure.

You mentioned ... sorry I'm not paraphrasing very well ... but that it sounded like harassment. It does sound harassing, but it takes a lot more to truly assert legal issues of harassment and discrimination. I mean, if you feel that this is happening, document everything, but I know from experience that a true legal case requires fairly major statements or events.

So again, i would either say just focus on your work and ignore the politics - which again might have less to do with you personally than you assume - or do something else, find another job, etc.. Life is too short.

My 'ex' took a different approach. If he had a conflict with someone, he would call them up and invite them to lunch. He took things (no pun intended) "head-on". I admired this, but could never do it.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:42 PM

I appreciate your response and will take all things into consideration.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:44 PM

I am 50. I did consider retiring there since I have been there since 1978. You are absolutely correct, health issues have arise with this episode.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:33 PM

4,228 posts, read 5,586,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollface View Post
I am 50. I did consider retiring there since I have been there since 1978. You are absolutely correct, health issues have arise with this episode.
Oh my goodness! Only 50? And, you referred to yourself as "elderly"?

No, no, no! Older maybe... but definitely not elderly... elderly these days are 80's-90's, 'tho I can see how this situation has made you feel that way! Get out there and kick some butt! You have too many good, productive years ahead of you to allow these resentful people to "rain on your parade".

Look on this as an opportunity to excel in ways you've only dreamed of before. I'm betting in years to come, you'll look back on this as just the cataylst you needed to break out of an unhealthy work rut and into something where you're really allowed to shine!

Wishing you all the best luck w/blessings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships