Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:29 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,536,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I love to watch people over at the huge regional shopping mall near my home. One thing I have been noticing recently is the physical and style similarities of people who hang out together. People seem to have a sixth sense for determining where they fit in the beauty, class, style, and social status front and pick friends who are similar in that way.

While there are serious exceptions, I notice that most women who hang out together seem to be of equal status when it comes to their appearance, weight, social and economic status, and popularity. For example, rarely will you see a very overweight woman friends with a real skinny woman. Beautiful girls will hang out with other beauty queens. Women who buy really expensive looking clothes will hang out with others who share a similar fashion and spending philosophy.

How are your friends when it comes to matching your social, economic and appearance status? (No PC talk or denial people!)
Just when I think the forum has hit the all time for shallow, something like this pops up and breaks a record....and people respond!!! (shock and awww).

The only explaination I can think of is that this must be a generational thing.

Don't young people have any depth?

PC talk...does that mean politically correct? How about JS talk? As in Jim and Sandy, my parents, because my parents had their faults, but they certaining didn't tolerate this type of judgemental behavior.

Lord, I can't imagine what you'd think if you saw me in a mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 03:49 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
90% of my friends look nothing like me and/or come from totally different economic positions. In a nutshell, I'm a lower working-class Black women and many of my friends are not Black and much more well-off financially.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:28 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
Just when I think the forum has hit the all time for shallow, something like this pops up and breaks a record....and people respond!!! (shock and awww).

The only explaination I can think of is that this must be a generational thing.

Don't young people have any depth?

PC talk...does that mean politically correct? How about JS talk? As in Jim and Sandy, my parents, because my parents had their faults, but they certaining didn't tolerate this type of judgemental behavior.

Lord, I can't imagine what you'd think if you saw me in a mall.
Hey, most of us agree with you, at least about how we pick our own friends

But I think psychologists and sociologists do study these things. I've always heard that people choose life partners who are somewhat equal to themselves in 'attractiveness'. Of course, if this is true, I give up, I give up! (If you met my ex, you would understand, enough said).

Old 01-12-2008, 05:34 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
My close friends and my boyfriend are all college educated and grew up in suburbia. They also tend to be atheists like me. I tend not to have close friends with those that grew up in a city. I may be friends with city people, but we don't have enough in common to be best friends. Church people tend to be more comfortable with those that go to church. I also get along with most dog people, especially those that own small to medium sized terriers.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:22 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Well, people who pick other people for any reason based on money, looks, or status are superficial.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:46 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
Except for my wife, all my friends are cats,

Old 01-12-2008, 09:55 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,178 times
I beg to differ. My friends come in all shapes, colors and personalities. I tend to give all women the benefit of doubt and judge them based on who they are. We pick friends for various reasons and associate with them based on what we need at the time. Each of my friends is a friend for various reasons. People are human and are need basis. So who feeds your needs at that moment will be the friend that one call upon. Although, I have my best friend of 28 years, she is only called upon for certain things. I tend to call and attract those other friends to meet my other needs.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:52 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I find the friends I enjoy the most are people from completely different backgrounds then myself. The only thing I pay attention to is who they are emotionally. I tend to drop people when they are overly dramatic or have dramatic lives with always something horrible happening. I can't stand the stress frankly.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:57 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Except for my wife, all my friends are cats,

LOL!!!!

Kinda like that saying, "The more people I get to know, the more I like my cat!"

Old 01-13-2008, 10:03 AM

394 posts, read 2,003,152 times
I think if all your friends are pretty similar to you, it simply means that you all share some common interests. I seriously doubt you are friends only because you all look or dress alike. And I am just laughing that someone would think a skinny woman would choose to hang out with an overweight woman because there is less competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships