Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 06:41 PM

393 posts, read 306,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Springs: Because you have some weird OCD obsession with SECONDS and some bizarre competition that your food MUST go in before the guy who came in 10 seconds after you....why?? Why do seconds count so much?. Most people don't go into restaurants racing the clock and other patrons, if we are in that much hurry we go to a drive through. It is ridiculous to penalized a waiter for asking if you're enjoying your vacation before he takes your order. You don't seem to understand the rest of us consider dining a relaxing time, we're not in a rush, especially on a vacation. Are you waiting to eat too long? Your attitude is highly bizarre, just saying.
You obviously don't go to restaurants HUNGRY AND THIRSTY, DO YOU? Even when I have been on vacation, I don't want to order as QUICKLY as I can. At times, we even have ordered at greeting time even at restaurants in general.

Quote:
Why do seconds count so much?.
1. Because we are hungry and thirsty.
2. Who loves waiting? I don't, nobody does. If anything, would anyone really want to wait behind someone in line if they don't have to? Just weird people like you that love waiting their turn.
3. Cutting is a principle of it kind of thing that no one is this world is above anyone else in this life. I had 5 people ask at Walmart "Can I get in front of you" as if they were BETTER than me. All of them I flat out refused. I have OFFERED people to get in front of me before a number of times, but them asking is just plain flat out rude and SELFISH, VERY SELFISH. If I can do that, I would. I wouldn't stoop that low to ask to cut. We all have things to do in life. My time is just as important as anyone else's time. So when I see the person that wants me to tip them a nice tip hand off the SAME TRAY(the Red Lobster example I gave),to the people that had not ordered their side salads until well after we had ordered our entrées considering they weren't even in the building when we placed our orders for our entrées, it hurts my feelings as if they stabbed me in the heart(not literally heart, but emotional heart) that they know they were CUTTING that they KNEW since SHE TOOK THE ORDER, SHE KNEW WHO CAME FIRST and she knows how it feels to get cut in front of in a line, so WHY would you **********SERVE************ in that manner? Why would you do that to someone else if you don't want someone to do it to you?

As far as you saying relaxing time, that's fine, which that means if you don't want to order, don't. We have EVERY RIGHT to want to hurry things along without having to chat with our server. When you want a refill let's say eating something spicy, seeing your server chit-chat doesn't **** you off any? I mean really, when you want that refill, you will WISHING you would have had a person that did JUST PHYSICAL LABOR for your table rather than playing around. When you want your check you have to be somewhere right now this moment, I would like to see how you feel then when your server is chit chatting with another table 5-10 minutes. Most people don't feel like you, they HATE WAITING. You are the odd person, NOT ME!

If I could have my refills in .2 seconds I would want that, seriously, I HATE WAITING for ANYTHING. I hate red Lights, traffic, etc. I hate waiting in lines, I hate waiting and so does the rest of the NORMAL WORLD. WOULDN'T IT BE NICE TO NEVER HAVE TO WAIT FOR ANYTHING? Why you think those 5 people ask to cut? One ***** wanted cigarettes(this was the aisle that had cigarettes), I was thinking "Yeah, that's a necessity to cut, YEAH RIGHT." I had to go home coming from work, fix dinner, take a shower, etc. I have **** to do too. If feel people like that can go to a gas station or Walgreens', don't think that you won't pay with your time at Walmart. Walmart is the WORST PLACE TO GO when you are in A HURRY. I sure didn't let someone cut in front of me that wanted to buy some cancer sticks, NO WAY! SELFISH PEOPLE LIKE THAT CAN GO TO HELL! I NEVER in my lifetime asked to cut. As I said, I have let people in front of me with one item and so have people done the same for me, but NEVER have I asked to cut, EVER!

Also, you say why I care about seconds, why wait one more second for something than you have to? You must not care about your time nor go to a restaurant hungry. You must not diet ever to be starving when you go to a restaurant so you can eat (share an appetizer), entrée, and a dessert. I couldn't eat all of that if I ate beforehand. Why go to a restaurant if you aren't hungry? I enjoy my food A LOT MORE when I am very hungry.

How is it weird to hate waiting? Do you realize many people speed, probably even you? Is that because you hate waiting? I have had people honk on me going the speed limit of 15mph around the mall, that's right, people hate waiting. Why do you see people honking at people that are making them wait? That's just seconds. You are the one that is weird to love waiting, not me.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada_yel View Post
OK well first of all calm down and take a deep breath.

You said why would you greet your server when you haven't eaten all day at another post.... Practice better, healthier eating habits and don't abuse your server with your stinky breath and messed up blood pressure lol...

Just like somebody else said , if you are in a hurry and almost about to pass out from hunger, drive thrus or subways are your best bet.

I don't think any server can make someone like you happy no matter where you go... You seem like you had a rough childhood...
I don't eat much that day or the day before so I can enjoy a lot of food. My breath doesn't stink since I brush my teeth. My blood pressure isn't messed up. Every single time it has been checked, even at our house we have one, it's NEVER been high.

Lots of servers have made me happy. We have given over 30% tips to some of the servers we love. My idea, I gave a couple of my favorite servers $20 for a christmas bonus one year plus their normal tip. You have to show you *CARE* about the customer. If a server messes up, is it because they really were busting their butt or was it because they were playing around on the job?

Old 03-10-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
So when YOU waited tables, YOU were the best waitress the world has ever seen, correct? Tell me, how many years did you wait tables and at what types of restaurants?
I see that you can't prove me wrong. I know more than the servers do a lot of times about the menus and how to do the job, it's sad and pathetic, it REALLY IS. Especially when you have to SHOW the server something. This is one time we stiffed due to a DITSY, LAZY waitress and tell me if you think I don't know how to serve, go ahead, tell me:

Moderator cut: delete

My husband and I had gone to try a certain Mexican restaurant for OUR FIRST TIME and ONLY TIME. I ordered the nachos with shredded chicken for the appetizer nachos. Look at this on the menu:

“NACHOS DE LA CASA – Choice of ground beef
or shredded chicken, topped w/lettuce, pico de gallo,
sour cream, jalapenos and beans……………………………………… ……..7.25
w/Steak ………………………………………… ………………………………………8.25
w/Shrimp ………………………………………… ………………………………….9.25”

Moderator cut: deletel

This is from the internet menu(this happened a number of years ago) and it is just like this on the menu inside the restaurant. I didn’t specially order something not on the menu. We received grilled chicken from our waitress that you can *SEE* it wasn’t right, but I didn’t know since I don’t work there you know. Our waitress should KNOW what shredded chicken LOOKS like since SHE WORKS THERE, WE DON’T on the NACHOS she BROUGHT OUT!! It was our FIRST time there, so we didn’t know what it was supposed to look like(I should have though, but didn’t think about what shredded is supposed to look like, now I feel stupid about that I didn’t know just by looking at it the first second it hit the table) . Since nachos you can SEE the chicken, at least some pieces that aren’t covered up without TOUCHING anything, she should and could have caught her error for ringing it up wrong by her WRITTEN ORDER as well as the menu comparing that plate of food to the MENU noticing that there wasn’t an option nor did the customer say “GRILLED” anything. An option not on the menu for this appetizer even I DID NOT ORDER., HOW PATHETIC can you get, you don’t agree?

My chimchanga I specifically said shredded chicken. I didn’t think it looked right when I broke it open, but I didn’t know how they shred the chicken they served.

When we got our check, we were overcharged on TWO items. One was the nachos charging us $8.25(grilled chicken) when there isn’t even an *OPTION* on the menu(notice above from the internet menu) for that and I didn’t ask for something not on the menu. That was a dollar overcharge. Then, the grilled chicken is 50 cents more than what I ordered. $9.25 I was supposed to be charged, which I was charged $9.75.

I presented the problems to her nicely; she didn’t say she was SORRY even. I would have said I was SO SORRY and asked a manager if they can take off a least a soft drink for messing up if I were the server in that situation. It wasn’t just 2 overcharges, but she messed up 2 food orders as well by ringing them up wrong(at least the nachos for sure were rung up wrong) and SERVING the nachos wrong since it was obvious.

When I told her about there wasn’t even an option for the grilled chicken on the menu she said “It was an accident”, which I told her, which is SO TRUE, she didn’t even “TRY”. She didn’t: A. BRING out the nachos OBVIOUSLY correct by comparing the written order and menu to the food B. Compared what she was RINGING UP to the menu and the written order C. Compared the check to the menu prices to what we ordered BEFORE she handed us. How can TWO mistakes on a check be an “ACCIDENT” when you had times where you could have caught the mistakes since the restaurant was almost empty( like one other table of 2 or 3 people at it and 2 or 3 people at the bar? All that time we ate, she could have CAUGHT her mistake, for REAL. Our check times were 1:34p.m., then the credit card receipt was 2:14pm., so in all that time, since the place was almost empty, she couldn’t have caught those errors? GET REAL!! That was pure laziness and lack of EFFORT to TRY to get things right.

A good, caring server would have:

1. Since she wrote down what I asked for “shredded chicken” if she didn’t know the menu, she should have compared the menu while ringing up the items so she would have known “DUH NO GRILLED CHICKEN OPTION ON THE MENU EVEN AND THE FACT THAT I DIDN’T SAY “GRILLED” so she should have compared the written order to the computer screen she was ringing up.)

2. Before she brought it out, let’s say she put the order in correctly. She should have known how they shredded their chicken since she worked there to decide not to bring it out since you could clearly see it wasn’t shredded chicken on top the nachos.

3. When she put the order in for the chimichanga, assuming she most likely didn’t put it in correctly that she overcharged me on that, so she could have compared the menu to that item she was ringing up.

4. When she got ready to bring the check, she should have compared the menu prices to the check as well as the written order and found the errors, got them fixed from the manager BEFORE giving us our check.

So that’s just one of MANY stories that’s proof. We stiffed her. she deserved it. She was VERY UNCARING and VERY, VERY, VERY LAZY. She could have caught everything except for the chicken inside my chimichanga since she would have had to cut that open. Everything else though was 100% HER FAULT. I really think though since my chimichanga was overcharged she rung it up wrong initially that she didn’t change it before she handed us the check.

So please stop acting like that servers work hard, because most servers HONESTLY are like HER, didn't compare the food, the order, and the check to what she was serving us. I knew more about the menu and pricing than she did, which she worked there, NOT ME. I wouldn't have had to be trained to know DUH if I didn't know the menu very well to compare it to what I was ringing up, like DUH, no training needed to know this.

The main issue is this: *******SHE PUT ZERO EFFORT INTO THE JOB TO GET ANYTHING RIGHT TO US*************! THAT IS LAZY AND VERY UNCARING! They don't care about pleasing customers in most instances, they just feel they deserve 20% or 15% for serving you, that's it. They don't feel they have to *******WORK******* for their money.

We have been through a NUMBER of servers JUST LIKE THIS over the years, you'd be surprised at how lazy and dumb these servers seem. She seems dumb because *I* KNEW MORE THAN SHE DID about everything she gave us just about. THAT MAKES ZERO SENSE. All she had to do was compare the menu to what she was giving us along with her written order. To not even have an option on the menu and ringing something up the customer didn't even say is just really WEIRD. I NEVER would order grilled chicken at a Mexican restaurant, because it's too dry in my opinion. I always order shredded chicken. She made us not enjoy our food because of her laziness and lack of EFFORT on the job.

Do you understand WHY I have the attitude I have about servers? It's not all servers, but a good 80% of them are lazy in general. They don't want to do the WORK it truly takes to give GOOD, WONDERFUL service, The ones that do are rare and hard to find. This waitress we had though was really bad. Why should we pay someone that didn't care? She didn't even APOLOGIZE EVEN, so THAT IN-OF-ITSELF gives her a complete stiff for ALL the hell she put us through and was going to get a higher tip due to the higher check if we would have not noticed the overcharged, which is stealing. So she would have made more money off the mess up, not just the restaurant. I just feel these servers are dumb in that I have to show them on the *MENU* where something is. I don't work there. I don't expect them to memorize the menu as I said before, what they should do is when they are going to the computer, bring a menu with them, compare the description and the written order to what they are ringing up in the computer. That's how you serve. You don't just go and hand people food without knowing what you are doing. That's crazy to do that. That's EXTREMELY LAZY to do that. She sure didn't give a care about pleasing us, did she? As I said, what I would have done, how things could have been SOOO DIFFERENT of an outcome.

When you have experienced the hell we have, then come back, you would have a VERY DIFFERENT OPINION after and you know it. This is just one of the MANY ways I know how to do the job ***BETTER*** than SERVERS DO that have experience as servers. I have only had counter help at a donut shop back in 1998-2002 off and on a little over 2yrs worth. I learned everything I learned through eating out at restaurants since Nov. of 2000 when I met my husband that we have been going out to eat every weekend just about since then. You learn a lot when you have experienced it as the customer *SEEING** **WHO*** CAUSES YOUR ISSUES. I have to reiterate this was OUR *FIRST AND ONLY TIME THERE LESS THAN AN HOUR*, but somehow I HAD MORE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT BEING A SERVER AND THE MENU THAN SHE DID.

Moderator cut: delete being a server doesn't mean that the person knows how to be one. It was EXTREMELY SLOW like one other table in the place with a few people at the bar, that's it. That service was HORRIBLE!

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-13-2015 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: Consumer complaintswith names not allowed neither is telling a poster to "shove it"

Old 03-10-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Having a cell phone conversation anywhere but outside is not acceptable. The bartender was right to say something. It would be nice if more establishments would put a stop to the rudeness.
How is this different than having a conversation at the table with someone? Just asking? I don't see the difference?

While I agree if you want service, get off your cell phone, but if you don't, why if you are just chilling sipping on your drink at the bar and don't want to be bothered at the time, why would you have to go outside? If anything, I wish the smokers would do that, because they are hurting innocent lungs breathing that cancer and heart attack causing second hand smoke. Having a conversation on a cell phone when you aren't in need of service at the time is NOT *ANY* DIFFERENT* than chit chatting with someone next to you at the bar.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
yup and i think servers can often pick up on such things. hence the crappy service you receive in return. not saying its fair. its just how it is.
Pick up on what? I am nice to them. I am even NICER than they are to me like I will STILL say "thank you", even though I don't get a sorry most of the times for them forgetting something for example. I am not rude like they are is my point.

Also, for example, I have seen rudeness from a server like one time I noticed a guy sent his soup back because it was cold, he goes VOLUNTARILY to ask another table much further away that didn't call him over if they needed anything. How dare someone do that to that man? This was at a Chili's and I actually wrote in my survey about how while I didn't take off for that since that wasn't my service, but just how RUDE that was to do that that man. If his food was cold, the waiter should have just went IMMEDIATELY to get it warmed. That's the MORALLY RIGHT thing to do from one human being to another. Some servers are jackasses. I couldn't FATHOM asking another table that didn't call me over if they needed anything. Luckily for that man, that other table didn't need anything, but those were still that man's seconds of time the waiter wasted by being RUDE in FRONT OF HIM. I couldn't fathom doing that to someone if the customer had a problem with their food. That's just mean.

So don't act like I am the person mean, because I am not. A lot of servers are mean and rude just like that waiter was to that man. It wasn't even my service and I felt for the man. That's how nice I am. I thought about if that would have been *ME* in the situation as to how I would have felt him doing that to my turn. He was cutting in front of that man's turn. He had an issue, not just a request, but an issue with his food, so it was still his turn. Making wait even longer than he had to is not nice and very mean.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:11 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
Actually they do. When you are giving your server your food order, so I go up to your server tap them on the shoulder to ask for 2 refills and some extra napkins(total of 10 seconds), does that count as being *RUDE* to you? If it doesn't, I am surprised at your answer. If it does sound rude, then seconds to count and you have just PROVEN YOURSELF 100% WRONG!

Most people would feel it would be rude of a customer to interrupt them ordering to ask their server something and you know it. SECONDS COUNT VERY MUCH SO!

Seconds count so much that I have stiffed because of seconds that the server CUT. It's not about the seconds per say, but about the *CUTTING* they did. I recently had a waitress that cut in front of us 3 times in a row. Needless to say she didn't get a tip. She knew who she took the order from first, but she kept not bypassing their table as she SHOULD have MORALLY SPEAKING.

As far as greeting goes, it does count if my server is asking everyone they greet how their Mardi Gras was and if we had gone to any parades. Do you realize how much ******TIME********** you are taking up of a customer's order? I wanted to tell the waiter that did that Mardi Gras questions "Could we please just order, we are VERY HUNGRY, haven't eaten all day(which was TRUE(this was 5p.m.) and had waited 15 minutes for a table to boot", but I didn't. I just simply answer the question that we didn't, since we don't do parades. He was VERY ******INCONSIDERATE***** of our hunger and thirst as well as time. What about people that want to go somewhere else after as well? If you want chit chat, then go to the bar, but don't delay my ordering. Also, the server can just chit chat with us AFTER the order was put in. I wouldn't have minded that and actually enjoyed it as long as we weren't keeping our server from serving someone else that needed something or that they could have been doing physical labor(WORK) such as bussing a table or restocking or cleaning something.

That glass of water should be given in the order of WHOSE TURN it is. That means let's say your server has our table's 2 waters and your table's 2 waters. Let's say your table ordered your waters BEFORE ours did. It's certainly not fair or right to make you wait 5-7 more seconds for your waters to give us ours first. That's not MORALLY RIGHT.

No, because we have had MANY CARING servers over the years that don't do that. MOST just greet you and get your order. They don't ask you anything with details to talk about like that waiter did at Applebee's. Most just say "How are you all doing today? My name is Springs1, I will be taking care of you, can I start you all off with something to drink(a margarita)?"

Also, some servers do go in order of turns, it all depends on the server if they have morals or not if they like getting cut in front of or not.

We don't look for an excuse not to tip. I go by if that were *ME* as the server how would I serve. Not apologizing for example for a major error means stiffing( an example would be an overcharge).

I am not sure WHY are you talking about this? We at times have tipped 30% and upwards as well as stiffed servers. I go by the ********SERVICE*************, NOT ANYTHING ELSE!

You say they bust their butt, most don't. Most servers don't check over things they bring you for things they can notice without touching food. Some servers don't even want to write your order down even. Most servers don't write down every request, then forget things, so that's not busting your butt if they don't even *TRY* their best to show they ***CARE*** about you. If you care about me, I care about you. If you don't care about me, why should I care as much about you when it comes tip time, huh? I will treat you the way you treat me in the service.
Dinner is not a timed competition. As strange as it may seem, most people prefer to dine at a leisurely pace.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Dinner is not a timed competition. As strange as it may seem, most people prefer to dine at a leisurely pace.
I do like to dine at a leisurely pace such as it aggravates me when my server brings me the check without asking first EVEN IF they predicted correctly that we won't get anything else. This has happened even without ordering dessert even at dinner time even. Like once, a waitress just because I asked for a box didn't offer dessert, because she assumed we were full, rather than making room for dessert by bringing the rest of the food home. That time, I didn't want dessert, but an after dinner drink I did want. That lowered her tip for her to make us feel rushed like that. This was dinner time even. Usually at lunch you see servers doing that at times, but not dinner time. It shouldn't happen *ANY* time though. No server should be bringing you your check without asking if it's OK first.

It aggravates me if they predict correctly, because they controlled our tip money that way, which that's not how it's supposed to go, *WE* are supposed to say what we want by them asking us or us asking them. It also aggravates me that they didn't offer us dessert or anything else. That's their job to upsell(to try to sell us more items).

To the people that want their check in a hurry, may I suggest you ask when you order your entrée this way you can have things in a rush.

You are wrong that most people want to wait for things once they have asked for them. I don't know ONE PERSON that wants to wait longer unless it is courses running together of course, but otherwise, I don't know anyone that wants to wait for their drinks or food or check or whatever longer than they asked for.

Waiting 10 minutes to get your check when you could get it in 2 minutes doesn't make any sense. If you don't want your check, ask 10 minutes later then. Don't make people that want their stuff when they asked for it in a timely manner to suffer.

If dining out isn't a competition, why do some restaurants have call ahead seating? Why do people decide not wait for a table if it's too long of a wait(like an hour)? Obviously, people hate waiting, otherwise, NO ONE would have came up with a concept for people not to wait as long and obviously it WORKS since Outback, Texas Roadhouse, Chili's, etc. have call ahead seating. If people loved waiting, NO ONE WOULD USE CALL AHEAD SEATING, WOULD THEY? Also, why when some people wait for a table you see them getting a drink at the bar? Because they don't want to WAIT, DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Old 03-10-2015, 08:35 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
How is this different than having a conversation at the table with someone? Just asking? I don't see the difference?

While I agree if you want service, get off your cell phone, but if you don't, why if you are just chilling sipping on your drink at the bar and don't want to be bothered at the time, why would you have to go outside? If anything, I wish the smokers would do that, because they are hurting innocent lungs breathing that cancer and heart attack causing second hand smoke. Having a conversation on a cell phone when you aren't in need of service at the time is NOT *ANY* DIFFERENT* than chit chatting with someone next to you at the bar.
Because people talk way louder on their phones than they do to someone standing next to them. I don't know why the phenomenon exists, but it does and it's common knowledge to just about everyone. You can't be that dense, to use your own phrasing.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Because people talk way louder on their phones than they do to someone standing next to them. I don't know why the phenomenon exists, but it does and it's common knowledge to just about everyone. You can't be that dense, to use your own phrasing.
I guess at times I have noticed this, but not all the time. I am more talking about at a store I have noticed this in lines I have been in. I haven't really notice this at restaurants or bars though.

I can see if it's loud how it could become an issue, but I do have to say I have been at restaurants where people were loud due to drinking alcohol or a game was on or crying/loud children, which is in my opinion WORSE than a loud cell phone talker, especially the screaming crying kids and the drunk people that are being loud.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:18 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I had a good laugh at the notion that if you throw money at a bunch of lazy workers that it guarantees quality. Talk about an assumptive statement.

It's been PROVEN, time again, that if all you do is throw money at people, they don't appreciate it. They squander it and demand more.

Versus if you WORK HARD for that money, you appreciate it and you appreciate what it took to get it. In fact, sometimes it just pushes you to make MORE money by doing even MORE work and/or a BETTER job the next time.

Total comedy - a driver on a $120 taxi or whatever ride, shows up an hour late yet there are actually people who can justify paying that person $24. Rewarding them for being a slacker. Straight up comedy.
i dont dine in restaurants intending to manage their employees. nor their business model. i have enough things to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships