Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 03:53 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times

Advertisements

I once knew a girl, a nice girl.. who used to visit me now and then but she had appalling respect for what others had... I had just bought a new couch in a medium colour fabric and when I gave her a mug of tea instead of using the coffee table with coasters she sat it on the arm of the new couch , I felt sick and went over and moved it only too late, it left the round cup mark... it put me off the couch for good and I couldnt wait to be able to afford a new one.. this wasnt the only wee things she did.. too many to mention as she didnt seem to think anything of what I had ...... she smoked and would throw her ciggie ends out into my back garden area.... then after her lunch she would put her plate in the basin of soap water with all the food shed left still on it..........am I being picky here or what.. hahaha. who else gets annoyed at this sort of thing in their home..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 04:56 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Sounds like nothing is permanent, do you want to keep her as a friend? Or just stop inviting her over.

Or set rules, no smoking, use a coaster, etc. its your place afterall

Old 03-07-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Sounds like nothing is permanent, do you want to keep her as a friend? Or just stop inviting her over.

Or set rules, no smoking, use a coaster, etc. its your place afterall
shes not on the scene anymore... more a friend of a family member.. but I liked her.. just her habits I didnt care for..

Old 03-07-2015, 07:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I know what you mean! Occasionally I will run across someone who was apparently raised in a barn. It's rare but it always alarms me.

I don't have a house that's "delicate" but I would be pretty horrified if someone placed a cup on the arm of my leather sofa. That hasn't happened yet.

But I am very attached to my Yamaha piano, which my parents bought for me when I was five years old. I have absolutely no shame in making a speech whenever we have a gathering at our house (friends - family has already heard the speech several times) in which I say, "AHEM. I have an announcement to make. I love all of you and I am so happy to have you here! But if ANYONE sets a drink down on this piano or spills a drink on it, I am not going to be responsible for my actions." So far, so good!

It's a bit off topic but I have got to share something that happened to me a few years ago at work. I was wearing a new sweater set - it was adorable. But the tag at the back of my neck was really scratchy. So I took off the cardigan and had just the shell on, and I asked a friend of mine if he would clip off the tag with a pair of small scissors I found in the office. He said, "Sure," and I heard a "clip clip clip clip" which I assumed was the four corners of the scratchy tag being snipped.

Then he handed me a square of fabric - about 2" x 2" - with the label still attached to the middle of that square. He had cut a huge square right out of the back of my sweater!!!!!

I was so shocked, I just mumbled "OK, thanks," and grabbed my cardigan (thank God for the layered look!) and rushed to the bathroom, hoping and praying that the massive hole in the back of the shell wouldn't show once I put the cardigan back on!

Thankfully, it didn't - but I never liked that sweater set after that and ended up just throwing the whole thing away.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:59 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
So people are born in barns. They have no concept of manners/civility and it's awful. Putting a mug on a couch seems like a stupid thing to do, very easy to spill.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:46 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I once knew a girl, a nice girl.. who used to visit me now and then but she had appalling respect for what others had... I had just bought a new couch in a medium colour fabric and when I gave her a mug of tea instead of using the coffee table with coasters she sat it on the arm of the new couch , I felt sick and went over and moved it only too late, it left the round cup mark... it put me off the couch for good and I couldnt wait to be able to afford a new one.. this wasnt the only wee things she did.. too many to mention as she didnt seem to think anything of what I had ...... she smoked and would throw her ciggie ends out into my back garden area.... then after her lunch she would put her plate in the basin of soap water with all the food shed left still on it..........am I being picky here or what.. hahaha. who else gets annoyed at this sort of thing in their home..

Well as you get older stuff like the above not a big deal, you come to a place where you realize what's important in life (people) and what can be replace when damaged (furniture) ~~~..

Old 03-07-2015, 11:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
you should have paid for the Scotch-Guard treatment

Old 03-07-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
you should have paid for the Scotch-Guard treatment
too many health dangers in Scotchguard and I have a chemical illness so couldnt have it.... but thank you.... the thing isnt with the couch though its with the people who dont give a damn about others property... I would never dream of putting down a cup , glass or food on a surface without a saucer or coaster..

Old 03-07-2015, 12:44 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
don't have children

Old 03-07-2015, 01:31 PM

609 posts, read 808,471 times
Your friend sounds like a my fair lady before try made her over. Can she go yo finishing school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships