Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:33 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontFeelLike View Post
Nice thread, people in society are entirely too self absorbed. I think that wanton stupidity should be and arrestable offense and should be considered a felony, or you should at least be able to slap the taste out of someone mouth who's behaving in an obnoxious self absorbed manner. There has to be a way to root people out who get in the way of civilized society. I try not to interact with the general public and avoid going to the store during times when I know they'll be idiots out in full effect...
When I was a cop we called that, "Felony Stupid" and it was often accompanied by "Contempt of Cop." Not wise!

People can certainly not think about anyone other than themselves. They're the center of their world and others don't count. We find far, far less of that where we now live than we did on the Left Coast from whence we came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 11:12 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,002,666 times
I wonder how much of this thread is really Type A verses Type B personalities..

People who shop in a mad rush verses people who enjoy leisurely browsing the
aisles and reading the labels and chatting along the way..
I am a type B but I do try hard to not block the way of others..

Old 03-13-2015, 11:23 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I wonder how much of this thread is really Type A verses Type B personalities..

People who shop in a mad rush verses people who enjoy leisurely browsing the
aisles and reading the labels and chatting along the way..
I am a type B but I do try hard to not block the way of others..
I don't think that really has much to do with it. I think it has more to do with people being aware of their surroundings and of the fact that the are sharing public space with others. I am very type B but I find it annoying when people are blocking an aisle or a walkway and don't notice that others can't get around them. I also find it odd when people get mad at me for saying "excuse me" or otherwise trying to get past them.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:05 PM

22,821 posts, read 6,431,335 times
I always try to be courteous, there have been a few times where I was unknowingly blocking the
aisle, I always apologize....even if I'm standing in the way of someone trying to get something
off a shelf I move back and tell them I'm sorry to be in their way, people always smile and say
"oh you're fine".

Old 03-14-2015, 04:04 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,816,732 times
I'll usually be polite in the store aisles, keep parked to the side, like a rational intelligent person, speaking of excuse me at the first appearance of some sloth, or other troglodyte in my way. I like to get in, and get out, I don't like grocery shopping, and I don't have all damn day to do it, an all the lingering pisses me off. Behind the handlebars of a baskart, I will ram, shunt other baskarts, and employee flatbed carts, there are other things I want to do once I leave the store, so yeah, I might be rude, but at least I pay attention to my surroundings, as not to hold up anybody else. Sorry that I don't want, or am able, to spend an hour in a geocery store. I gotta get my food home, return the car, and anything else in the dwindling effing day.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:27 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
Prime example the other day in the drive through. This was at a McDonalds with two order stations that merge into one pickup line.

Person in the outer lane orders first and pulls up. I am in the inner lane. However, they left at least 8 feet behind the car ahead (honestly, if I wanted to really be a jerk, I could have almost nudged around in front of them but not quite unless I wanted to go off roading a bit). So, I am blocked and cannot pull up quite enough to allow the person behind me to place the order. Then the car in front moves and they are too busy reading something so that they do not pull up. I wait until the count of ten and beep my horn. They are visibly upset but at least fill the now two car length gap. After another cycle of delays where people in front move but they don't, they finally pay. The cashier hands the receipt and again, they are too engrossed in whatever that they do not pull up to the now empty order delivery window. Again, everyone else is waiting due to this person's inability to pay attention. I wait a few seconds and honk again and they pull up. Luckily, when they left the window, no one was walking out the side door as surely they would not have noticed and run them over.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:52 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,056,830 times
Thought of this thread yesterday when I went to the grocery store. Every single isle had either a group of people talking & blocking, or a single person just standing there with their cart blocking the entire way. Absolutely no consideration for the people around them!

I also had a guy take off with my cart. I told him he took my cart & he apologized and said he mistook it for his. He then grabbed his own cart which was half way full. Mine had a single head of lettuce in it...how do you mess that up?

Old 03-17-2015, 01:16 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,547,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I always try to be courteous, there have been a few times where I was unknowingly blocking the aisle....
I'm usually aware of my surroundings, but that happened to me yesterday. I remembered that I wanted to compare prices on something, so I parked my cart in the middle (no one there at the time), and before I know it, an employee comes down walking fast ahead of another customer, leading her to what she was looking for, so he moves my cart aside to make room. Oops I hate it when I look like an inconsiderate jerk.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:03 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
I'm usually aware of my surroundings, but that happened to me yesterday. I remembered that I wanted to compare prices on something, so I parked my cart in the middle (no one there at the time), and before I know it, an employee comes down walking fast ahead of another customer, leading her to what she was looking for, so he moves my cart aside to make room. Oops I hate it when I look like an inconsiderate jerk.
I think as long as you say something like, "sorry" you are good. We all have our moments.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:11 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
This is a rant and not directed at anyone on CD but this just annoys me!

If you stand in the middle of the aisle blocking everything, yes, PEOPLE WILL TRY TO MOVE AROUND YOU. It should NOT be a shock to you and you certainly shouldn't be huffy about it. Maybe if you didn't block the aisle with your cart or 7 foot long stroller then you wouldn't have everyone getting you pissed off, or maybe that's too difficult for your pea brain to comprehend. (Or, maybe if you laid off the beef fat and bacon tator tot casserole you wouldn't be as big as a blimp)

If you are in a busy store/sidewalk/public place and are walking at a speed that is measured in feet/year then chances are, yes, people will be moving FASTER than you. Yes, Flash Gordon, some people are actually rushing past you because they walk faster than a snail's crawl. It's one thing if you cannot walk fast due to disability but please, don't hold up the whole city...move to the side! For those who aren't disabled, please, this is NOT particle physics - move faster or get out of the way! (And what's with college students moving so slow - I can tell you're a college kid because your school's logo is literally on your butt of your pants!)

Also, maybe you should consider putting your kids on a leash (they actually make them for kids) since they act like anials in the store. It's not cute; only the stupid people laugh and fawn over your nasty kids running around and stinking up the place. Better yet, stick them in a cage or put them in a sealed tungsten carbide walled container out in the parking lot since you obviously won't teach them manners. No, the rest of society isn't responsible for your kids, YOU ARE. Get real or go back to whatever pigpen you came from!

And finally, please look before you walk. I know that the lights on the ceiling/purty pictures on the merchandise/the price scanning machine is just so fascinating to your reptilian brain but please, look before you step. You might want to especially consider this if you are in a store with no handrails; you might make an accident on the ground floor!
An "excuse me" usually goes a long way...

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships