Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 11:57 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I don't like any fanfare at all. In my 20s I worked two jobs (M-F days and W-Sun nights) so full days off were rare. I started taking my bday off then just to have a day to do whatever I want. I still do that though I got stuck working on it a few years ago. I was really annoyed when birthdays got put on the staff list and someone brought it up in a meeting a few years ago.

I don't even answer the phone. I really just want to decompress and hopefully enjoy some fresh air. It's a milestone birthday for me this year and when a family member mentioned a party I told them I hoped they have a good time as I will not be there.

I decline most invitations especially if they are surprise parties because I really don't know if gifts are expected or not and I really can't afford that. I went out earlier this year for a friends bday, we all ordered appetizers and chipped in a bit extra so hopefully his food was taken care of. Thankfully no singing was done (one of my biggest restaurant pet peeves)
^^^ I don't have any sisters, and my brothers always forget (or ignore) my birthday. LOL It saves a lot of hassle. And I am not a cake person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I can't help but have contempt for all the people who will NOT WORK on their BIRTHDAYS! Seems to be a pretty big chunk of people (10-20%?) who always take their birthdays off from work. Seems childish to me.
I used to take my birthday off all the time. It was my vacation day to use when I wanted, so I don't see why this is childish? My boss never cared. I think a lot of people probably do this to escape the birthday hoopla that occurs in some offices, or if they do want to celebrate they want to do it with friends and family rather than coworkers. I don't have to worry about this now since I mostly work from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 12:55 PM

675 posts, read 644,417 times
I'm not huge on my birthday at all, but I try to think if it were not acknowledged at all. That might end up being more unpleasant than it seems.

Big parties seem silly, though. Beit for graduation, prom, etc. I don't like seeing people flaunt their riches, especially with their teenage kids.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:37 PM

340 posts, read 645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Why do some people put on such fanfare for birthdays. I never really had any sort of birthday parties or anything while all my siblings did. I just wonder why do people make them a big deal when it's just another day?
It really depends on the person, how they grew up, traditions, etc. I think we should all celebrate every year we live. As a television show once put it:

Quote:
"The human body is remarkably resilient. But death is everywhere. Most of us try to avoid it, others can't get out of its way. Every day we fight a new WAR against GERMS, TOXINS, INJURY, ILLNESS, CATASTROPHE and Calamity. There's a lot of ways to wind up dead. The fact that we survive at all is a miracle. Because, every day we live... We face 1000 WAYS TO DIE."

Old 03-10-2015, 03:19 PM

922 posts, read 1,110,715 times
Birthdays were pretty important in my household growing up but now that I'm grown and married with kids, my own b-day is not that big of a deal to me. As a matter of fact, the last 5 birthday's I've had have SUCKED so I declared that I am no longer celebrating my birthday because I think I'm cursed!

My children's b-days are very special to us and treated as such; they get special treats on the day of, like going to get a fancy drink at Starbucks (did you know that you can get a cotton candy Frappachino there?) or a doughnut. Then DH and I take them to the toy store where they can pick out a toy (LOVE the fact that both of our children never pick toys that cost more than $25, LOL) and we take them to dinner. We do throw them b-day parties on the weekend before or after their b-days. The big birthdays, like 1 and 5, were bigger parties because we consider them to be more milestone ages.

Birthday's can be fun but they also can go WAY over the top- I've seen it personally and it honestly is ridiculous, but, hey, to each her/his own.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:17 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
I can't help but have contempt for all the people who will NOT WORK on their BIRTHDAYS! Seems to be a pretty big chunk of people (10-20%?) who always take their birthdays off from work. Seems childish to me.
I don't get paid time off but I do get to choose when I take time off, so why not? Does it really matter what day a person takes off if they are entitled to time off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hard to work from the beach.
Yep, done the beach birthday thing a bunch of times! Weather won't be nice enough this year though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Born Day AKA B-day are important because they are a celebration of the simple fact that you are still alive.
Hey - in my book, EVERY day you wake up is a celebration of the simple fact that you are still alive.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:11 PM

179 posts, read 149,553 times
Quote:
Personally, I would rather have my birthday off than some of the legal holidays...MLK Day, Presidents Day, Veterans Day. I'm not complaining, because a lot of people don't have those for holidays, but I would still rather be able to pick my days off.

I don't mind if others take their B-day off, then I don't have to witness all the phony happiness.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:30 PM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Adding to the post above is I'd rather celebrate a birthday than Christmas.

Some just take great pleasure to rain on someones parade. I'm speaking of those who like to be called or taken out on their birthday. I get some of these posts about it being another day and one day closer to death but I like it when friends acknowledge or call to wish me a happy birthday. Being thought of gives me a rare good feeling.

Adding that I haven't had any kind of a party since I was a young teen and I don't care about that. Not that there is anything wrong with it either.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:57 PM

677 posts, read 672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
My family has always made a big deal about birthdays, probably because my mother does. She loves attention and she always made a huge fuss about the birthday of everyone in our family and some of my siblings have carried this over in their families. And of course Mom totally expects us to return the favor. She starts fussing about her birthday weeks in advance. I suspect it's because she would die if people forgot and she feels the need to make sure they won't. She fully expects, if not a full-blown party, then at least a fancy restaurant dinner, a cake and candles, gifts from all her children, phone calls and visits from friends. It sometimes goes on for a week.

Personally, I don't care about my birthday at all. For heaven sakes, it happens every year. I never tell anyone the date, although people find out. Most places I've worked always acknowledged employee birthdays. I exchange birthday cards with a couple of friends and we always send each other funny cards. They're my friends because they share my sense of humor, so I enjoy laughing at the cards and buying humorous ones for them. Of course I always acknowledge my siblings' birthdays, too, and all their families, since it seem to be expected ... thanks to Mom.
I got sucked in the same exact way. lol

Old 03-10-2015, 07:12 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Adding to the post above is I'd rather celebrate a birthday than Christmas.

Some just take great pleasure to rain on someones parade. I'm speaking of those who like to be called or taken out on their birthday. I get some of these posts about it being another day and one day closer to death but I like it when friends acknowledge or call to wish me a happy birthday. .
I think it's fine if people like to be made a big deal of on their birthday.

What I don't like is when THOSE people think us quiet ones need to make a big deal on OUR birthdays. Or try to do it for us. Like announcing it in meeting or throwing a surprise party. Because that's raining on our parade of "don't make a big deal about me".

Old 03-10-2015, 11:04 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
IMO, the only birthday's worth truly celebrating is your 16th (driver's license), 18th, 21st (you can go to a bar and drink now), 40th (life begins at 40!), 55th (Goody-goody, you can live in a 55+ community now), 62nd (early retirement) and 65th or 66th (full retirement).

All others are not worth celebrating, IMO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships