Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 08:17 PM

270 posts, read 283,049 times

Advertisements

I have been cruising through life, encountering all sorts of stuff, and I have been living in this country for over two decades, but as of lately, I notice that people feel the need to point out my foreign accent (which is not thick at all), framing it in a way that leaves me a bit fuzzy about it. Within a year, it happened three times, within the past 20 years not at all. Yeah, sure... good riddens to the narrow-minded, but still, I'm beginning to become a wee bit self-conscious about it now. Just today, I heard it again. Other things that came my way were "you talk funny, I am not used to it." Or "you say things in an odd way, not like we say it here."

Why all of a sudden this focus on a foreign accent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:21 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,776,075 times
Anything can be a turn-on or turn-off. Some people like accents, some don't. Some accents are more desirable or less irritating to some than others. Me personally, I can listen to Sofia Vergara all day long. Doesn't hurt that she looks like Sofia Vergara.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:18 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Accents are not usually a turn-off. Many people are slightly to very attracted to people with accents because they obviously come from a different place and that is interesting, or they want to try to guess where the people came from.

You say you've been here for over 20 years. In 20 years no one ever once referred to your accent, and all the comments have been in the past year? Are you maybe exaggerating that a bit?

Just speculating now: It may be that you otherwise seem so completely assimilated that your accent throws people for a loop, and they blurt something out without thinking. Or they may be hinting that since you're so well assimilated, you should be losing the accent. (Which is not easy, if even possible--my in-laws have lived in the US since 1964 and they still have distinctive accents. They're obviously never going to lose them).

I wouldn't take it as an insult or turn-off, in any case. My mother-in-law is always embarrassed when people refer to her accent, and wishes it would go away, but I really think almost everyone finds it charming.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:34 PM

270 posts, read 283,049 times
I am not exaggerating. While I have heard references to the accent in the past, it was in a rather neutral, or even positive context. Those comments recently were far from it, as in I talk funny, or weird. There was nothing nice about it, and I wonder why people feel the need to point out such things in that fashion.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuddy3 View Post
I have been cruising through life, encountering all sorts of stuff, and I have been living in this country for over two decades, but as of lately, I notice that people feel the need to point out my foreign accent (which is not thick at all), framing it in a way that leaves me a bit fuzzy about it. Within a year, it happened three times, within the past 20 years not at all. Yeah, sure... good riddens to the narrow-minded, but still, I'm beginning to become a wee bit self-conscious about it now. Just today, I heard it again. Other things that came my way were "you talk funny, I am not used to it." Or "you say things in an odd way, not like we say it here."

Why all of a sudden this focus on a foreign accent?
Why not just tell them that they talk funny to you?

People notice different things at different times for no particular reason.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:38 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I've had plenty of people cruelly make fun of me for my heavy Southern accent, even going so far as to ask if English is my native language. Accents apparently do upset people.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:38 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Who are these people? Kids? New co-workers? That's so rude.

I think I'd come up with a quick one-liner to say if it happens again - "Hey, I'm not the one talking weird, it's all of you guys who talk funny."

Old 03-11-2015, 09:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
It would have been so much nicer if these people had said, "What a charming accent! Where are you from?" instead of what you heard. I'd have to say the people who remarked rudely about your accent were simply rude. Others probably find your accent charming or at least quite unique, making you rather interesting to them.

I wouldn't match rudeness with rudeness, which you probably wouldn't do either. So telling them they talk funny is out, I think. I think a good response is something like: "I'm a native of X." And then move on. People with no sense of courtesy are probably not going to be good conversationalists.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:14 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,019 times
Do you mind sharing what type of accent you have?

I think anyone who is socially awkward enough to say "you talk funny" is someone whose opinion would have zero value to me. The person who said "you say things in an odd way..." at least sound like he/she was trying to sound tactful (not doing a good job at actually coming across as tactful, however.) People are struck by things that seem "odd" to them, and tend to mention them without meaning to be offensive. The person should have called you choice of words "interesting" or "unexpected," but probably wasn't thinking of the negative connotation of using the word "odd."

You should try not to let it bother you, I bet a lot of people like your accent. If anyone doesn't like it, that's their problem!

Old 03-12-2015, 03:41 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,945,840 times
Accents can turn me off.

The Scottish accent for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships