Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 04:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
No one finds the actual incident of rape funny. What do stand-up comedians joke about? Otherwise boring everyday stuff usually. They are not funny alone, but only when a joke is made about them. Same goes for these traumatic events.

No one is laughing hysterically at the thought of your friend getting raped or to mundane everyday events like waiting in line at the store (I'm sure many comedians have joked about this kind of thing). Humor is when you mix the absurd with the real. I can't find anything absurd about rape. It's only funny when we combine an unrealistic topic and a realistic (though tragic) one.

You do have a point that comedy can come from tragedy.

However it is only funny if both parties are laughing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 04:06 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Anything can be joked about if done properly. Humor can be found in anything, and those who are unable to see that take themselves far too seriously.

OP, don't worry about it. Those people are too uptight, as are many posting here. Until a joke is written or spoken, they're passing judgement without examining any evidence. Guilty until proven innocent.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:19 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Anything can be joked about if done properly. Humor can be found in anything, and those who are unable to see that take themselves far too seriously.

OP, don't worry about it. Those people are too uptight, as are many posting here. Until a joke is written or spoken, they're passing judgement without examining any evidence. Guilty until proven innocent.
"swagger, did I just hear that your preschool age daughter was crossing the street yesterday and was hit and killed by a drunk driver?" Yes

"Well, you will just love this joke. Did you hear the one about the little girl who was squashed like a bug by a 4,000 pound car fueled by Johnny Walker Black label?" Not funny? well I guess, swagger, that you are taking yourself too seriously.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:27 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,275,292 times
Obviously there is a time and a place.

Inappropriate context: A friend calls from the police station after being raped. When you get there you ask what happened. She tells you and you go "Hahaha!!!". This is a no-no.

Appropriate context: Well...let's not get into that, but the joke recipient would preferably not be a rape victim or have history of rape in the family.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
To the OP, one problem of telling rape jokes (or murder jokes, or child abuse jokes, or pedophilia jokes) is that you never know whose life has been touched by that horror.

In any group of a dozen people I bet at least half have been touched in some way by rape and you probably do not have any idea about it.

One of my best female friends had a very traumatic date rape experience decades ago, to my knowledge the only people who she ever told about it was me, a therapist, her husband (years later) and the police, at the time. The sister of another friend was raped by a stranger, but again, very, very few people know that. My coworker's 90 year old grandmother was raped by an intruder (raped by his penis & by a long knife), her internal organs were so damaged that she nearly died. My daughter's friend's sister was raped and murdered. One of my dad's cousins was held down and gang raped by a group of drunk teenagers/young adults when she was walking home from work, just a short distance from her house. In a crowd you would not know anything about my personal connections to rape.

Also, men can be raped by other men.

OP, have you ever asked your mom or dad or sister or brother if she or he has ever been raped?

Hey OP, do any these situation sound even remotely funny to you?
Quote:
Obviously there is a time and a place.

Inappropriate context: A friend calls from the police station after being raped. When you get there you ask what happened. She tells you and you go "Hahaha!!!". This is a no-no.

Appropriate context: Well...let's not get into that, [b]but the joke recipient would preferably not be a [/B]rape victim or have history of rape in the family.
tommyFL, that was my main point. In just talking with me you would have absolutely no idea that my best friend was brutally date-raped, or a relative that I love was gang raped, or my friend's sister raped. So would you feel that it was OK to tell me rape jokes?

BTW, tonight, ask your mother point-blank if she was ever raped by a stranger or date-raped?

Ask your sister and brother, too, just to make sure that you can tell as many rape jokes as you want around the dinner table.

And, please tell us how your mother & sister reacted to your question (BTW, if one of them starts crying hysterically and runs out of the room you probably have your answer).

Last edited by germaine2626; 03-13-2015 at 05:11 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 05:16 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
tommyFL, that was my main point. In just talking with me you would have absolutely no idea that my best friend was brutally date-raped, or a relative that I love was gang raped, or my friend's sister raped. So would you feel that it was OK to tell me rape jokes?

BTW, tonight, ask your mother point-blank if she was ever raped by a stranger or date-raped?

Ask your sister and brother, too, just to make sure that you can tell as many rape jokes as you want around the dinner table.

And, please tell us how your mother & sister reacted to your question (BTW, if one of them starts crying hysterically and runs out of the room you probably have your answer).

Old 03-13-2015, 05:44 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,275,292 times
The problem is, if they get offended, I don't care because I don't know them.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:
You don't know your mother, sister and brother?

Old 03-13-2015, 05:57 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
So it's ok to offend people, as long as you don't know them. You have a different view of how treat people than I do.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:06 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
OP, i know this is super difficult for you to understand, but u need to accept the fact that u were wrong and those people attacking you were justified. Try and get that through your head. I know it'll be hard for you, but at least try...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships