Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 12:16 PM

468 posts, read 483,386 times

Advertisements

Hello, I guess I’m just ranting and want to get to the bottom of “why” my English grammars is still so terrible....English is my third language.
I do speak fluent English, and I speak English fast too…. I have no trouble communicating with customers at work, my job required greets alot of customers everyday. I speak English with them and they all understand me fine.

But when it come to grammars, I have trouble with ‘past tense’, the English ‘tenses’ stuff… I am better when write in ‘present tense’, this is due to Chinese language, there no past tenses stuff in Chinese characters.

Background about me. My family immigrant to USA when I was 12, and this year I am 30, so that make me living in the U.S for 18 years already…. I am a college dropped out, I did attended University for 2 years but I quit.
I guess I’m not smart, I couldn’t handle work and school…. In that 2 years of University, pretty much I take Calculus and Physic classes…. So it didn’t give me a chance of pratice’ English essay’ writing from those classes…. I do have a High School diploma, I did graduate High School in the U.S

I didn’t have a good childhood, my mother was abusive…. So I left my mom house when I was 18, live in the Homeless Shelter for some time too… I struggle on my own and survived on my own without help from my family.
I became a college dropped out; at the time all I can think of is how to come up with money to pay Rent/Bills, or else I end up in the Homeless Shelter again.

Due to I only have a high school degree, I couldn’t find well pay jobs…. I work in Retail/Sales, Waitress, Secretary, Receptionist at dental office…. I also work in Post Office, work at supermarket, I even wash dishes at Asian restaurant too…. But these jobs environment doesn’t help me much with English grammars writing.

So yeah, I’m the college dropped out girl with bad English grammars, and live alone in 'the hood'…. But I have nothing to be ashamed of myself. I don’t cheat, I don’t steal, I survive with my own working money.
Yes, I’m poor but I don’t feel shameful about myself…….. I like to be Financial Independent, I don’t use my husband money, and I don’t depend on anyone…. Though, I admit I have INSECURITY that perhaps IF one day my husband find a richer girl, he will leave me for the richer girl…. The richer girl who can give him all the luxury and materialistic stuff.

I do not like to read books, I don’t watch TV or movies. I an not a romatic person. The books I read in University was Calculus, and Physic books…. And now all I read is different cultures Cook’s book, due to I want to make different culture dishes for my husband to eat.
I guess the reason I don’t read English books, that is why my grammars is bad?…. I heard that if you read alot of books, you can see the words of English grammars sentences; your brain get familiar to it, and it help with improve your grammars in writing.

Also, all my jobs that I previous work, including the job I work right now. It doesn’t required me to write any English essays…. It only required me to speak fluent Englsih, which I have no problem with speaking English fluently.
I live in a huge neighborbood that is very diverse ehtnicity, and they ALL speak English here…. None of the neighbors would sit down and write English essays, lol.. when we see each others all we do is just speak English…. So I am surrounded by English speakers… I don’t know why my grammars still suck (as in writing English)

I apologize, I know my post is very hard to read… I guess I’m just trying to figure out why my English grammars is still so bad.
I’m married to a husband who is not Chinese…. And eversince I know him, date and married, English is what we speak.... Nope, I don’t write him English essays or letters, but I have no problem speaking fluent English with him, or using “slang”…. I actually speak Englsih fast and fluently too, but when it come to grammars, it suck!! Argg!!… So frustrated!!

Last edited by ishe; 03-18-2015 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 12:22 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishe View Post
Hello, I guess I’m just ranting and want to get to the bottom of “why” my English grammars is still so terrible....English is my third language.
I do speak fluent English, and I speak English fast too…. I have no trouble communicating with customers at work, my job required greets alot of customers everyday. I speak English with them and they all understand me fine.

But when it come to grammars, I have trouble with ‘past tense’, the English ‘tenses’ stuff… I am better when write in ‘present tense’, this is due to Chinese language, there no past tenses stuff in Chinese characters.

Background about me. My family immigrant to USA when I was 12, and this year I am 30, so that make me living in the U.S for 18 years already…. I am a college dropped out, I did attended University for 2 years but I quit.
I guess I’m not smart, I couldn’t handle work and school…. In that 2 years of University, pretty much I take Calculus and Physic classes…. So it didn’t give me a chance of pratice’ English essay’ writing from those classes…. I do have a High School diploma, I did graduate High School in the U.S

I didn’t have a good childhood, my mother was abusive…. So I left my mom house when I was 18, live in the Homeless Shelter for some time too… I struggle on my own and survived on my own without help from my family.
I became a college dropped out; at the time all I can think of is how to come up with money to pay Rent/Bills, or else I end up in the Homeless Shelter again.

Due to I only have a high school degree, I couldn’t find well pay jobs…. I work in Retail/Sales, Waitress, Secretary, Receptionist at dental office…. I also work in Post Office, work at supermarket, I even wash dishes at Asian restaurant too…. But these jobs environment doesn’t help me much with English grammars writing.

So yeah, I’m the college dropped out girl with bad English grammars, and live alone in the hood…. But I have nothing to be ashamed of myself. I don’t cheat, I don’t steal, I survive with my own working money.
Yes, I’m poor but I don’t feel shameful about myself…….. I like to be Financial Independent, I don’t use my husband money, and I don’t depend on anyone…. Though, I admit I have INSECURITY that perhaps IF one day my husband find a richer girl, he will leave me for the richer girl…. The richer girl who can give him all the luxury and materialistic stuff.

I do not like to read books, I don’t watch TV or movies. I an not a romatic person. The books I read in University was Calculus, and Physic books…. And now all I read is different cultures Cook’s book, due to I want to make different culture dishes for my husband to eat.
I guess the reason I don’t read English books, that is why my grammars is bad?…. I heard that if you read alot of books, you can see the words of English grammars sentences; your brain get familiar to it, and it help with improve your grammars in writing.

Also, all my jobs that I previous work, including the job I work right now. It doesn’t required me to write any English essays…. It only required me to speak fluent Englsih, which I have no problem with speaking English fluently.
I live in a huge neighborbood that is very diverse ehtnicity, and they ALL speak English here…. None of the neighbors would sit down and write English essays, lol.. when we see each others all we do is just speak English…. So I am surrounded by English speakers… I don’t know why my grammars still suck (as in writing English)

I apologize, I know my post is very hard to read… I guess I’m just trying to figure out why my English grammars is still so bad…. I’m married to a husband who is not Chinese…. And eversince I know him, date and married, English is what we speak.
Nope, I don’t write him English essays or letters, but I have no problem speaking fluent English with him, or using “slang”…. I actually speak Englsih fast and fluently too, but when it come to grammars, it suck!! Argg!!… So frustrated!!
Your English grammar is not good because as you said, you have never learned it. You can speak and write and be perfectly understood, which is really all that is essential for you right now. Good grammar will not happen on its own - you need formal instruction. You can take a class in ESL grammar, or you can buy a grammar book and read and do the exercises on your own. You would need an advanced level grammar book. The kind meant for ESL students, not a guide for English speakers.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:23 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Why is good grammar so important to you?

Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Your English grammar is not good because as you said, you have never learned it. You can speak and write and be perfectly understood, which is really all that is essential for you right now. Good grammar will not happen on its own - you need formal instruction. You can take a class in ESL grammar, or you can buy a grammar book and read and do the exercises on your own. You would need an advanced level grammar book. The kind meant for ESL students, not a guide for English speakers.
First, congratulations on what you've accomplished so far - being able to communicate well in three languages is impressive. I agree with the post above, you'll need to formally study grammar in a class or on your own to improve it. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:24 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
First, congratulations on what you've accomplished so far - being able to communicate well in three languages is impressive. I agree with the post above, you'll need to formally study grammar in a class or on your own to improve it. Good luck.
agree congratulations. I do not think you are not smart but sometimes people don't learn things that are basic and as they proceed to the more advanced issues they get confused because the basic thing they missed trips them up. Like me and algebra.

Try to read the Lion the Witch the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis if you want to learn proper grammar. If you can get through that you will speak the Queen's English beautifully.

Find a copy of Harbrace Handbook. This is a guide to English grammar that could be helpful.

Learn to diagram sentences, if you liked physics and calculus this method might appeal to you.

Try an English as a Second Language class. It might help explain what the tenses are then you can figure out how to use the tenses as you read or think in English.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:37 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Geez, if you are fluent in three languages then you are doing better than most Americans. Give yourself a break. If you don't like to read novels, read a newspaper, or online news. But honestly, if you can speak it clearly, I'd say you are definitely smart enough to fill the majority of jobs. The best reason to learn the nuances of the English language would be to finish your degree and move up. If that's not a consideration, then go easy on yourself.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:49 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,508 times
All things considered, I think your English is remarkable. Not many people can effectively communicate in three languages.

It sounds like your mind/interests/talent runs towards Math and hard science like Physics.

I liked the idea of you learning how to diagram sentences. I remember doing that in grade school; it was a good exercise in grammar and sentence structure.

Have you ever considered returning to college, not the University at this point in time, but a Community College? You could find out if they have any sort of remedial English composition class to help you along in your English language skills.

I know you don't like to read, but that is one thing that will help you with your English grammar. Read anything. Read a newspaper,online news. Read anything and everything.

Another thing you can do is PRACTICE. Practice your grammar. Practice your writing. You can do this with anyone, anybody who will listen.

Just for future reference, we call it grammar, not grammars. Not a plural word. Not trying to be over critical, but that's one thing you can change right away.

Good luck!!!

Old 03-18-2015, 03:17 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
If your grammar is bothering you why don't you take an English class in your local community college or look into some online course? Maybe you can work out some arrangement with a friend or neighbor who can tutor you & in exchange you can teach them a skill they want to learn from you or help them in chores like babysitting. Sure you don't need to write an essay on a daily basis but when you are writing on a forum like this or blogs, social media, emailing, texting, job applications then good grammar can come in handy. You can also help your kids with their homework. They will pick up good english from you & use it in their school. Speaking differently from others in school might lead to bullying & low self-esteem. Good spoken & written English they learn from you can help your kids fit in with the crowd.

Its certainly a desirable skill if you want to work full time in an office setting. Its perfectly understandable if your grammar is not good despite being here for so long. Don't feel bad about it. I know a lot of people who were born here with English as their first language & still their grammar is pathetic. You can easily improve it & work a little harder to fix the issue. Personally, I do think you should be fluent in the native language of the foreign country where you want to live for the rest of your life. Lack of communication skills can result in misunderstandings.

Reminds me of this indian movie "English Vinglish". Its about an indian housewife who doesn't know English & is often degraded & taken for granted by her family. This is common in india where English is regarded as a superior language than the local languages, I guess because of the british rule. Believe it or not, good spoken & written English can help you get a better marriage proposal & a job in india. Anyways, she visits usa for her niece's wedding & her little knowledge of the language leaves her in tears when she is unable to order a coffee at a coffee shop & is brushed off by the server. She decides to take English classes without her family's knowledge. On the day of her niece's wedding she shocks everyone by giving a toast for the newlyweds in fluent English & points out how self-conscious & inferior everyone made her feel, including her husband & kids, for not knowing the language.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:22 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post

I know you don't like to read, but that is one thing that will help you with your English grammar. Read anything. Read a newspaper,online news. Read anything and everything.
Yeah, that's my suggestion, too. Reading really gives you a sense of how things are spelled, what words go together, how to structure a sentence, etc. You're an adult, so nobody is going to ask you to write a term paper in your life, but you may have to write emails, job applications, even birthday cards, and how you present yourself verbally may end up mattering a lot.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:10 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
English is one of the most difficult languages to learn (especially the grammar). There are so many rules and it can be so confusing.

The plural of ox is oxen, but the plural of box is boxes. Most people who were born here can't even get it right, so don't beat yourself up over it.

I used to tutor writing, and one suggestion we gave people was, read your work out loud. You say you speak English quite well, so, if you are writing something, read it out loud and determine if it sounds right.

Last edited by jrsydevil82; 03-19-2015 at 09:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships