Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:00 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
But when people say "helicopter parents" I think many mean that those parents say that their kids do no wrong no matter what they do - that's definitely not us.
"Helicopter parents" refers to over-protective parents who constantly "hover" over their kids and never allow them out of their sight. Helicopters hover. So parents who hover are helicopter parents.

They may often end up being the same parents who think their kids do no wrong, but that's not what the term refers to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 01:07 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
"Helicopter parents" refers to over-protective parents who constantly "hover" over their kids and never allow them out of their sight. Helicopters hover. So parents who hover are helicopter parents.

They may often end up being the same parents who think their kids do no wrong, but that's not what the term refers to.
Yeah, I know what it's supposed to mean but I think it's evolved into the inclusion of not only hovering but also having a "jimmy can do no wrong" attitude. Which is in the severely overprotective category I suppose.

We are nowhere near people who hover and don't let our kid out of our sight. If we had it our way, he would be out of our sight much more than he is! We need a friggin' break!

Old 03-25-2015, 02:01 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I had the sex talk and books given to me. However when it came to financing, figuring out college, a career, buying home, zip nada zilch. I wish they did, and have spoken to my children a bit about this, but will keep it up as needed.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:04 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I grew up with my dad breeding litters of pups in our back yard. I can't remember a time when I didn't know how babies were made. But when we had sex ed in 5th grade, we were very excited about it. To our great disappointment, we only covered amoebas on the first day.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:13 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,156,553 times
I'm a tail-boomer. When my dad learned while I was in high school that I had my first girl friend he gave me "the talk." I remember he was passing me in the hallway, said "So, you have a girlfriend now?"

"Yes."

"Be careful, you're carrying a loaded gun now." Then he went about his business.

It took me about an hour to figure out what he was talking about.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-25-2015 at 03:07 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 02:23 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I didn't get the talk when I was a kid. I went to Catholic school and we had "guidance" classes which were about periods and about only using natural family planning. We had to take the worksheets home for our parents to sign. I think at that point our parents were supposed to ask if we had any questions. My dad, who would have been more likely to answer questions, was out of town. My mom would turn bright red, sign the paper, and say, "Put that dirty thing away."

Fortunately, I was very good at educating myself and found the information I needed at the library. I also figured out what to say to my mom so I could see a gynecologist, and I figured out what to say to the gynecologist so I could get the pill.

My sister was in a college class where they were talking about what kind of "the talk" they got from their parents. My dad picked her up from the class and she told him what they'd been discussing, and that she realized that she'd never gotten any kind of talk like that when she was a kid. My dad said he was sorry and asked if there was anything that she needed to know, when she was already in college. I thought that was kind of adorable.

My kids have books about puberty and we give them very frank answers to their many questions. It's just not something that I'm ashamed or shy about discussing, although my husband gets pretty embarrassed sometimes. His mom did talk about sex a lot when he was a kid, but it was scary stuff like, "Don't go near any vans because a man will grab you and pull down your pants and ---------" He says his real sex ed came from Job Corps.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:42 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,267,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Fortunately, I was very good at educating myself and found the information I needed at the library.
UNfortunately, I was also very good at educating myself ... only it didn't involve books from the library.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:24 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
I don't recall how old I was, maybe 9 or 10, when a girl who attended our church was raped. I asked about it and mother said the man was old and when a man is old his penis sometimes becomes like concrete and it really hurts a girl. I have no clue what her goal was in telling me this, but I never forgot it.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:14 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,307 times
Nope.

I learned the mechanics of it from a V.C. Andrews book my best friend at the time sneaked out of her older sister's room. Ha.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:22 PM

381 posts, read 642,323 times
Male, 29.

My parents never had "the talk". I actually think I was better off learning from books at the library and I once found a copy of the Masters and Johnson best-seller at a relative's house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships