Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 11:36 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post
What do you think of people who don't say "hi" or anything back when you greet them?

I just moved into a brand new apartment building where there are not a lot of tenants yet, and while most people have been friendly, there's a few neighbors that when I see them and say hello, they just look stone cold, avoiding eye contact, and never greet me back. Some even stare at me like rapists/murders, and I tried to break that creepiness by saying hi, but nope, nada. It's practically each time, so now I just don't say anything to them, and it creates such an unfriendly environment because I see these people every week.

Also, some people at work are like that. I say hi and good morning to them, but they just
go on their own way and don't greet back. I find it rude and very unfriendly, but hey, I shouldn't be surprised. There seems to be more bad than good out there these days.
You may be around some of the people who posted in the "Small Talk" thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 05:50 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Common sense, don't you think?

Goes without saying harassment of any kind shouldn't be included in this subject.
You obviously haven't been approached by panhandlers as much as I have. It happens to me on an almost daily basis. A lot of panhandlers will typically approach with a "Hi, how's it going" type of greeting to "break the ice", which will lead to them asking for money.

In other words, if some people think someone is going to ask you for money by leading it off with a "Hi, how's it going" type of greeting, then that may lead them to not responding to the greeting.

Common sense here as well.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:44 PM

118 posts, read 157,417 times
Maybe they have a social condition.

Don't come to conclusions because those people might want to say hi but are too shy.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:45 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post
What do you think of people who don't say "hi" or anything back when you greet them?

I just moved into a brand new apartment building where there are not a lot of tenants yet, and while most people have been friendly, there's a few neighbors that when I see them and say hello, they just look stone cold, avoiding eye contact, and never greet me back. Some even stare at me like rapists/murders, and I tried to break that creepiness by saying hi, but nope, nada. It's practically each time, so now I just don't say anything to them, and it creates such an unfriendly environment because I see these people every week.

Also, some people at work are like that. I say hi and good morning to them, but they just
go on their own way and don't greet back. I find it rude and very unfriendly, but hey, I shouldn't be surprised. There seems to be more bad than good out there these days.
Maybe the people you are first meeting are discriminating against you for whatever reason.

Some people don't say "Hi" or avoid others purposely, because they find that the person is fake, which is understandable, given the time frame for which the person has known the other person enough to make such judgments.

I usually say Hi to people I like, and avoid greeting those I generally find untrustworthy.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:34 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
You obviously haven't been approached by panhandlers as much as I have. It happens to me on an almost daily basis. A lot of panhandlers will typically approach with a "Hi, how's it going" type of greeting to "break the ice", which will lead to them asking for money.

In other words, if some people think someone is going to ask you for money by leading it off with a "Hi, how's it going" type of greeting, then that may lead them to not responding to the greeting.

Common sense here as well.
I get extremely irritated when a stranger approaches me with 'hi, how ya doin'?' I cut right to the chase with, 'What are you about to ask me for, don't BS me with the false greeting.' They either run off or go ahead and ask, then get denied.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:41 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I think the OP has an extreme level of arrogance. Why people who don't know her and owe her nothing should interact with her? Just for her pleasure? What if their pleasure is to keep silence and not to communicate with others? Why they should care how she feels? I'm totally friendly with coworkers, but random people on the streets? Why? And I really dislike when somebody who doesn't know what to do with her life starts some small talk when I'm thinking about something important to me (and it's almost always the case). I spent two weeks in Vegas once, and issued probably couple of sentences a day (I was busy working on a big task). I was so happy and if at this point I was able to find a store w/o cashiers, I would make it my favorite.
Very well-said. Some people will actually get 'offended' that you didn't make eye contact as you passed, and I give a rat's ass. I feel no compulsion whatsoever to satisfy the attention-feeding needs of random strangers--even certain co-workers that I have nothing to say to, I feel no need to strike up a BS conversation in the elevator.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:31 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
Hi OP,
People can be funny squirrels, don't change, say hi, and move on, if people don't acknowledge you that's fine, the only thing we can do is to keep being decent citizens, keep a smile on your face and keep pushing forward. And That's that..

Old 04-10-2015, 08:33 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
I get extremely irritated when a stranger approaches me with 'hi, how ya doin'?' I cut right to the chase with, 'What are you about to ask me for, don't BS me with the false greeting.' They either run off or go ahead and ask, then get denied.
I just try to ignore them, i.e. pretend I don't hear them. Of course, in many cases this bothers them - but I don't care.

Also worth mentioning is what's been touched on in this thread as well - if you're a guy & greet a woman you don't know with a "Hi", she will almost certainly think you're hitting on her...and may not respond as a result. Unless she's elderly...

Old 04-10-2015, 11:39 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Maybe they don't like you. They're not obligated to talk to you. Move on. Not everyone will like you.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:45 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Stop making excuses - if a person cant get there stupid mouth to just form the word "hellow" they were never taught manners as children and are just plain rude and not worth your time.
Stop it. Nobody is obligated to talk to you or anybody else and not everyone has to like you. Move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships