U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 03:20 PM

7,172 posts, read 5,433,823 times

Advertisements

So I moved into a neighborhood about 5 months ago. The neighbors on one side of me seems to be very nice. About 2 weeks after I moved in, the wife and another neighbor brought over cookies as a welcome to the neighborhood. I spoke with the husband briefly as well. He helped with my snow removal once and appear to be very nice.

Well, fast forward to 4 months, I had cable installed and the cable guy had to disconnect and reconnect some wiring in the common cable box area outside between our houses. I've never met this cable guy but he made a comment about the wife. He said your neighbor is a b***ch. I said WOW, ok. But I haven't seen or talk to them in month because of the harsh winter. Well all this time there have been been random parking of their household member and guests parking in front of my house all the time. I have no problem with that every once in a while as it is a overflow area since the houses are side by side in front of a park and playground. But it's been every day to every other day for months.

Before I decided to go over, I wanted to observe the neighborhood and see if this is norm. After 5 months, I discovered that it's not. Out of the 30 plus house in the circle around the area, They are the only ones that have lines of cars of any given day and park in front of others houses. The other neighbors park in their garage and driveway (in a alley behind the house) which can hold as least 4-5 cars plus 2 additional cars in the front. So I called the HOA and they did tell me it is a public street and they can park there but they send out notices to all members stating common consideration for neighbors to park in front of their houses. The HOA said they can gladly send out another letter to them. I told them I would go over and talk to them since they seemed nice before. But the HOA manager did agree it was rude. He even came out for a few days to see the issue for himself.

I decided to go over. Their car had been parked right in front of my walk way and their whole front area was empty. So I went over there and the lady was a b***ch to say the least. I asked if that was their car. She said yes, I asked if she could move it, She said no ( IN THE SNOBBIEST WAY POSSIBLE),
I started to walk away(pissed) and she says, my daughter is sleep. I was thinking " you can't move your daughter's dang car right in front of your own house!!!??? But I had to hurry and leave because I was on my way from 0 to 100 fast!

I wasn't upset at the parking as much as her response. I didn't want to ruffle any feathers since I'm a new neighbor but that's why I went to ask.

I rather they park in front of their own house because my kids go to school in the morning and have to cross the street and the walkway is blocked when they park there.

They have people at their house all times of night and my kids rooms are in the front of the house and people are loud and slamming their doors.

I take my dogs out to the park across the street so it's a pain to have to walk around in wet grass and snow because they can't park in their own space.

I'm trying not to be petty but I've waited 5 months to say anything and no other neighbors do this because they understand it's unnecessary and rude as heck. My other neighbor even apologize to me for parking his truck in front of his own house because he was getting work done on his garage. I told him no problem, it's his house I don't mind at all. That said, it is unspoken that it's a nice upper scale neighborhood and most neighbors don't like cars out in the front. I don't really care as long as they park at their house.

They have kids that go to the same school as mine so I tried to be as nice and polite as possible but that ladies response put me on pissed mode.

Any problem and situation with your neighbors that can help me take a productive approach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 03:45 PM

680 posts, read 1,563,291 times
It is not against the rules, so you can't make them stop doing it. You can keep complaining to them, but it's not going to change their minds. In fact, it will just hurt any bit of pleasant relationship you can have with them. It sounds like you're just going to have to deal with it.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:13 PM

5,701 posts, read 4,431,692 times
once summer happens you should be watering your lawn and I am certain your sprinkler will be going whenever their vehicles are in front of your house and dang if you sprinkler will be getting the cars really wet

Old 03-26-2015, 04:17 PM

13,098 posts, read 6,249,301 times
I feel your pain!

We have serious problems with overflow parking from nearby neighborhoods. It seems that there is a lot of overcrowded housing in the area.

If you live on a street that is controlled by your state's DOT, then, unfortunately, anyone can park anywhere they want at anytime.

If it is a private street controlled by an HOA, then the HOA has the right to create parking restrictions.

ETA: I just saw the post about the sprinkler

One thing you can do if it is a state controlled road --- keep an eye on cars parked in front of your house. If they have expired tags or inspection stickers, don't hesitate to call the police and have them ticketed. If they block your driveway (do you have a driveway?) even by as much as a foot, have them ticketed---maybe even towed. Or if they park too far away from the curb, they can get ticketed.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:42 PM

4,743 posts, read 4,377,272 times
Well, I once lived in the same sort of situation. In my case, I lived in a little mountain neighborhood which had once been divided into large lots with houses to match. Then the place began to gain notoriety for its many mineral springs and the number of artists and craftspeople who had set up studios there. The original lots got all sub-divided into a crazy quilt of homes both large and small, and the streets never were widened or improved to meet the needs of a higher density population. I'll tell you what. People were ready to kill over their precious parking places. There was exactly enough room on the street by my house for one car - MINE! Thank you very much. Except for it was a public road and I didn't have the right to prevent someone from parking in front of my place and forcing me to park about a block down the road and stagger up the hill with all my groceries or whatever. The neighbor who lived behind me was a real jerk about this. He'd have his GF come up for the weekend and she'd park in front of my house for 2 or 3 or 4 days never once moving her car the entire time. OOOOOH! I can still remember how PO'ed I'd get when this happened. However, unlike you I didn't have an HOA to deal with, and I had been a member of the community off and on for years. Plus, I was pals with my neighbor across the street who had his own garage and was former mayor of the town. I tried polite request with the offending neighbor. He'd snarl at me in return. Finally, I went to war. I put up a big sign in my front yard which read "NO PARKING! VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT AND KILLED!" People all over town had signs like this. They had no legal grounds but like me, they posted them anyway. And for the most part, these signs actually were respected. I also left a note under the GF's window wiper explaining the problem with me having to lug groceries or laundry up the hill when she stole my spot. It worked!

However, sounds like you are dealing with a very upscale neighborhood, and you don't live in the "wild West" where hi-jinks such as mine are tolerated. Does your HOA have some sort of meetings where you could request that the parking problem be placed on the agenda? If everyone agreed that people should park in front of their own homes whenever possible, it might cause your nasty neighbor to back down. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2015, 05:34 PM

7,172 posts, read 5,433,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Well, I once lived in the same sort of situation. In my case, I lived in a little mountain neighborhood which had once been divided into large lots with houses to match. Then the place began to gain notoriety for its many mineral springs and the number of artists and craftspeople who had set up studios there. The original lots got all sub-divided into a crazy quilt of homes both large and small, and the streets never were widened or improved to meet the needs of a higher density population. I'll tell you what. People were ready to kill over their precious parking places. There was exactly enough room on the street by my house for one car - MINE! Thank you very much. Except for it was a public road and I didn't have the right to prevent someone from parking in front of my place and forcing me to park about a block down the road and stagger up the hill with all my groceries or whatever. The neighbor who lived behind me was a real jerk about this. He'd have his GF come up for the weekend and she'd park in front of my house for 2 or 3 or 4 days never once moving her car the entire time. OOOOOH! I can still remember how PO'ed I'd get when this happened. However, unlike you I didn't have an HOA to deal with, and I had been a member of the community off and on for years. Plus, I was pals with my neighbor across the street who had his own garage and was former mayor of the town. I tried polite request with the offending neighbor. He'd snarl at me in return. Finally, I went to war. I put up a big sign in my front yard which read "NO PARKING! VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT AND KILLED!" People all over town had signs like this. They had no legal grounds but like me, they posted them anyway. And for the most part, these signs actually were respected. I also left a note under the GF's window wiper explaining the problem with me having to lug groceries or laundry up the hill when she stole my spot. It worked!

However, sounds like you are dealing with a very upscale neighborhood, and you don't live in the "wild West" where hi-jinks such as mine are tolerated. Does your HOA have some sort of meetings where you could request that the parking problem be placed on the agenda? If everyone agreed that people should park in front of their own homes whenever possible, it might cause your nasty neighbor to back down. Good luck!
I'm glad you said you were ready to go to war before I did because that is actually how I feel! I'm going to have to go to the HOA meeting. But will that do anything since it's a public road?

This lady looked at me like I was asking her to do me a favor. I wanted to give it to her.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:48 PM

15,422 posts, read 12,159,510 times
Buy another car, keep the tags up to date, min ins...park it where you
want in front of your house..find out the law...if it must 'move' every 14 days or what....

Old 03-26-2015, 06:30 PM

13,098 posts, read 6,249,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I'm glad you said you were ready to go to war before I did because that is actually how I feel! I'm going to have to go to the HOA meeting. But will that do anything since it's a public road?

This lady looked at me like I was asking her to do me a favor. I wanted to give it to her.
As for public roads---depending on the state where you live, residents can petition to make it a permit only road. Our community has been trying to do that but it is taking forever. A 6 month process is now dragging on for nearly 3 years! It seems that where I live, scofflaws who overcrowd housing have more rights than law-abiding folks. Okay, rant over.

Have your HOA look into your state laws about this issue and see if there is a way to get permit parking.

Otherwise, as I pointed out already---call the police if a car has expired tags or inspection stickers, is partially blocking the driveway, is parked too far away from the curb or is parked facing in the wrong direction.

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:46 PM

15,032 posts, read 21,763,471 times
It may bug you, but the street is public parking. They can park in front of your house, the neighbor's house, their own house.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:05 PM

7,968 posts, read 9,725,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post

You WERE asking her to do you a favor. The favor of moving her car to make it more convenient for you. Contrary to popular belief, property owners do not "own" the space in front of their house on the public street.

You have no authority to say who parks there or not. If someone is parked there, and you ask them to move, you are absolutely asking them to do you a favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or