Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How To You Communicate With Each Other?!
City Data 6 13.04%
Telephone Voice Call 28 60.87%
Text Message 31 67.39%
Skype 6 13.04%
Gmail 14 30.43%
MySpace 1 2.17%
Facebook 16 34.78%
Twitter 2 4.35%
Instagram 1 2.17%
LinkedIn 4 8.70%
G+ 1 2.17%
YouTube 1 2.17%
Blogger Blog Spot 1 2.17%
PhotoBucket 1 2.17%
ShutterFly 1 2.17%
iMessage 4 8.70%
BBM 0 0%
Kik 2 4.35%
Other Photo Site 0 0%
Other Instant Messaging 2 4.35%
Other Email 17 36.96%
Other Social Network 3 6.52%
Other Resume Building Site 0 0%
Other Postal Servic 3 6.52%
Other Blog 3 6.52%
Other Wiki 0 0%
Other Message Board 2 4.35%
Other Website 2 4.35%
In Person 37 80.43%
Absolutely Nothing 1 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 05:51 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,619,535 times

Advertisements

Yep, it is. I deactivated my Facebook account. Those that were truly my friend found other ways to stay in touch. Texting, phone calls, e-mail, Kik, Instagram, Twitter and if I'm visiting - I'll see them face to face. These are my friends that live elsewhere. The few friends I have in Pennsylvania, I'll e-mail... but we usually just hang out. And then I'll see family face to face. Usually I prefer other ways than social media to keep in touch with people. I learned after deactivating my Facebook, people I thought were true friends were actually just friending me.

I agree with what Nor'Eastah said because this was the lesson I learned last year in a really hard way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
There's a difference between a "friend" and "friending" someone!

I never bothered with FB but to you I'm probably an old fart. I moved to a new state less than a year ago, and have a group of new friends already, along with my previous friends and neighbors in the old state. I meet them and greet them in the old-fashioned way - in person - just as I've done all my life. It's nice to get together with people, without having to depend on some iGadget or social media site.

If younger people would take their faces out of the screens, they might discover that there's a whole world out there, that they never noticed before. Use your eyes to look at real things, not screen versions, which are fake, electronic things. What's the big attraction to that, anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 06:09 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,621 times
Perhaps OP works for CD and would like to gather information without doing the actual legwork?

If not then my suggestion is to get on G+...it is pretty interesting. If you use Hangouts you can meet some cool people. I have been conversing with a well-known linguistic philosopher and don't ever have to see him!

Old 04-01-2015, 11:05 PM

695 posts, read 713,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
wun iz not iliterit becuz uv puur speling. Inglish speling iz thu problem, not inglish spelers.

English spelling is so atrociously inexcusably inconsistent that the very first letter of the name of the language is mispronounced. Billions of people right now are struggling to make sense of our absurd mess of a language which ultimately ends up with only one possible technique to master - memorization. And it is so bad no one in their lifetime can know how to pronounce any given English word w/o fail.

Fingertip Formulary - Health Plan Formulary and Drug Tier Status

And some of the smartest people in the world have recognized this and tried to reform English.

English-language spelling reform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So anestlee, text shorthand maa indeed bee evoluushun - not deetereeoraashun.

Oh The Chaos!

The Chaos - Gerard Nolst Trenité

Dearest creature in creation
Studying English pronunciation,
I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse and worse.

I will keep you, Susy, busy,
Make your head with heat grow dizzy;
Tear in eye, your dress you'll tear;
*****, fair seer, hear my prayer.

Pray, console your loving poet,
Make my coat look new, dear, sew it!
Just compare heart, hear and heard,
Dies and diet, lord and word.

Sword and sward, retain and Britain
(Mind the latter how it's written).
And your point is......?

Old 04-01-2015, 11:08 PM

695 posts, read 713,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You have a lot of negative things to say about social media... for someone who uses social media.
Perhaps so, but I try and be very selective about which social media I indulge in though.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:39 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times
Smile In person - we are a social people

Get out, enjoy life, quit staring at a screen and enjoy others, nature, what is out there.

We need each other - remember it takes a village? Well, it does.

None of us are perfect but we do need each other.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:31 AM

6,383 posts, read 6,271,884 times
I don't know about FB, what sticks out for me is your affinity for a PHYSICAL KEYBOARD!

ME TOO!!!!!

Old 04-02-2015, 12:24 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
I don't use FB and I live a happy fulfilled life. I DO send/receive a lot of email.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:49 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
I am almost positive that is not worth it to have friends. It is probably not worth it to even TRY to make friends. I am old fashioned (but only 26) and so I have an unlimited (including unlimited text messages) BlackBerry cell phone with the built in Keyboard. Sometimes Android Phones have a slide out Keyboard, but I find Blackberry is easier to text with although I have not tried the newer BlackBerry phones.

Already you can tell that I am not your average person just because I don't use iPhone or Android (or Touch Screens. )

but the point is: is that if I need to speak to somebody, or if somebody needs to speak to me, they can text me or perhaps call me. I have voice mail turned off however. I hate checking voice mail. And so if one of our phone numbers change, if one of us moves to another area code, I can text them my new number. And if both of our numbers change at the same time I provided my email so that they could email the new number.

It seems whenever I have a new friend they will ask if I have a facebook. (Perhaps wanting to add me. ) But ..... Facebook. ..... Why do I want to sign into such a horrid and badly designed website that is getting worse and worse and plagued with news feeds and status updates and suggestions and recommendations and spammy off topic "Fan Pages" (or "Like Pages") and most people I wanted to hear from never signed onto it. Instead the strange people were on it often and I don't want to hear from them.

After a while I blocked somewhere around 8,000 people just because I did not want to read their ignorant comments on a news story. I tried watching the news to see if there is anything believable and of course to check the weather but instead I use weather apps and news websites because The News On TV kept reading people's comments they posted onto their Facebook Accounts! There is no escaping Facebook! And there is no easy way to delete the Facebook App from Android Phones?!

What finally caused me to send my request to have my facebook permanently deleted is I found YouTubers (vloggers from NYC) somehow snuck into my Facebook. I guess it was from a sharebait link one of my Facebook "Friends" posted?? and then these punks kept appearing in swarms. After I deleted my facebook forever I realized that life DOES continue and the sun still shines and no asteroids have smished into Earth.

But I guess everybody else uses facebook and I've had several ask me and even insist I get a Facebook. I said if I didn't get your texts then email me.

Is it true people hate emailing as much as I hate Facebook?

WHY?!

With Emailing you don't get any annoying status updates and you don't get any news feeds and you don't get any suggestions and you don't get any recommendations and you don't get any sharebaits and all the Spam goes into this nice folder called SPAM! And you can easily organize your emails into Filter Folders so worrying about cluttered email messages is just nonsense. Everybody's phones has this ENVELOPE to easily access your emails.

And really I hate myspace and Twitter and Instagram and All of it. I like Google and G+ and Gmail and YouTube to a point, but I really only want to be online professionally and I have my job skills listed on my G+. I might get a LinkedIn, but the main thing I am interested online is Resume Building Sites and that's it. I am not a "Selfie" person and I don't even like to share Family Photos like others do, especially with Facebook! I limit pictures to a few and only ones that turn out okay just in case potential employers really do look up your online behaviour.

I am about to not bother with making friends or even keeping friends because they are all the same and they will ask about Facebook.

Anybody at all agree?!
Ironically, my newer friends I make don't ask me about FaceBook. We exchange numbers and get down to the nitty gritty. They're pretty hardcore in their beliefs, and so am I. When we need to really sit down and chat, we meet up in person. A phone call is our second choice.

I grew up when pagers were popular, never owned one, always had my own phone line.

I'm old school like that. Plus, we used to have lots of house parties (back when the economy was at a surplus), those were the golden days. We'd even have a friend who was a DJ and gatherings were so much more intimate and fun compared to FakeBook. lol

Old 04-03-2015, 02:51 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,175 times
Facebook is just another tool, no more evil than you cell phone or tablet or writing a letter. It's all in how you use it. Based on the original post I wold say that the OP has some serious issues with handling relationships and maybe Facebook is not a good fit for that person.

With any relationship, you get out what you put in. If you are not willing to make some effort then you won't have a relationship. One need not have many friends but having the right people in your life can make a very significant difference. But in order to attract the right people, you have to be the right kind of person. Having great friends, requires that you be a great friend.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:35 PM

756 posts, read 833,575 times
Exclamation Not Getting Facebook:

Update: And so I decided to create a Facebook again, but couldn't.

They asked for my telephone, and then they asked for a copy of my Driver's License.

I guess there are too many Fake accounts now. and I do not know how to get a Fake I.D. and I just don't want to provide all that information to the silly Face Book.

If some body wants to be friends with me and if they want to keep being friends with me, then they should make a larger effort than just Face Book. Be cause I think it is more beneficial to just meet in person, telephone, text messages, emails, address, P.O. BOX, post cards, and a photo site that IS NOT Instagram. (also, Instagram is secretly Face Book. )

The friendships then feel more personalized and more dedicated without all the stress from silly Face Book people and the stress from the design of the silly Face Book website itself.

Also, I want my online presence to be more career-oriented, resume building (without involving LinkedIn) I do not want to risk looking ridiculous. If this makes any sense.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships