Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 03:39 PM

67 posts, read 96,507 times

Advertisements

Have you been thrown together at family events with people you would not have anything to do with if they were not family?

At Easter there will be four men at my parents home. 1) My father who only says about five words to anyone a year. 2) Len, a sisters husband, who has no personality at all and will go down the basement and sit in a chair all alone; 3) Myself; and 4) Jeff. The woman are off in the kitchen in their girl talk talking about hairstyles, cooking, shoes and makeup.

I am a fish out of water counting down the hours until the event is over. Logically Jeff and I would bond and we could chat and make the whole thing easier to take. He is a high powered Attorney and gives me shade. He is too important to deal with the likes of me. So he just sits in the room and plays with his Smartphone. All attempts at conversation have not worked with Jeff.

Jeff: Please talk to me! If you were me would you keep trying? Or sit and play with my SmartPhone too. (If you can't beat them, join them.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 03:58 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,056,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Education View Post
Have you been thrown together at family events with people you would not have anything to do with if they were not family?

At Easter there will be four men at my parents home. 1) My father who only says about five words to anyone a year. 2) Len, a sisters husband, who has no personality at all and will go down the basement and sit in a chair all alone; 3) Myself; and 4) Jeff. The woman are off in the kitchen in their girl talk talking about hairstyles, cooking, shoes and makeup.

I am a fish out of water counting down the hours until the event is over. Logically Jeff and I would bond and we could chat and make the whole thing easier to take. He is a high powered Attorney and gives me shade. He is too important to deal with the likes of me. So he just sits in the room and plays with his Smartphone. All attempts at conversation have not worked with Jeff.

Jeff: Please talk to me! If you were me would you keep trying? Or sit and play with my SmartPhone too. (If you can't beat them, join them.)
Why don't you tell Jeff that since he is a high powered attorney he should give your parents the money to pay their last four mortgage payments and their thousands of dollars of credit card debt? (from your thread in personal finance).

Try to talk with Jeff again, if he won't talk with you, join the women in the kitchen (I bet that they would enjoy some help with cooking and clean-up) or just sit right next to Jeff reading a good book. How about playing catch or a game with some of the kids? Can you invite a male friend, perhaps someone without a family, to join you and your wife at the dinner?

Are you sure that you even want to go to Easter dinner with your family?

Old 03-31-2015, 04:01 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,410,624 times
I would just go talk with the ladies, they would probably love it!

Old 03-31-2015, 04:04 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,503,755 times
Holiday - family gathering - smartphone - relative won't talk to you - power derived from occupation: we've heard this all before.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:14 PM

8,247 posts, read 8,596,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Education View Post

What year are you living in if you think women sit around talking about hair and makeup? 1955?

Old 03-31-2015, 04:22 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,676,529 times
Is there anyway you can prank text Jeff? Since he's on his phone it could at least provide you with some entertainment.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:53 PM

7,060 posts, read 8,900,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Holiday - family gathering - smartphone - relative won't talk to you - power derived from occupation: we've heard this all before.
Maybe if this guy was a Quick Thinker there would be no problem, maybe he's retired now.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:02 PM

19,649 posts, read 9,192,474 times
Before I say this, I realize this might be rude, but it IS your parents' home, so I don't understand why you can't be comfortable doing something that pleases you. Maybe shoot a few hoops or play on YOUR laptop or whatever, or even read a book. Or, as someone else suggested, talk to the women or even (gasp) offer to help cook or clean up.

Anyway, if it is that much of a pain, why can't you just stay for about three hours and then leave? Also, if you are married or have an SO, what does she think about going to your parents' home? If she enjoys it, fine, but if not, maybe you can make an excuse that involves her to take the heat off you.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Reincarnation is real. The OP is proof.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:37 PM

13,979 posts, read 25,889,429 times
I thought all the holidays were held at your house, and your obnoxious relatives kept you up all hours of the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships